Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wayne Carini's 1930 Model A Hot Rod Sold at Barrett Jackson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Day2Muscle, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Nah' .. Roger is still kickin'. Got two knee replacements ... one knee at a time. Hence the GoFundMe.

Unusual the pay arrangement, & I don't have a clue what "reality" is .. but he has claimed before, that his part time hours in a non air conditioned garage .. are his only income.

God bless him.

P.S. Coupe is cool .. but for me, my preference is more HAMB de' Elegance instead.

I'd call a couple handfuls of HAMB builders instead for that authentic flavor, I seek.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you think the ‘public’ has the market cornered on honesty you are woefully uniformed and most certainly inexperienced in dealing with the ‘public’. Go to your nearby Wal-Mart customer service counter and watch what goes on, especially after a big football weekend. Same goes for all retail to one degree or another.

But that is not to say all of the public are dishonest, they are not....but by the same token there are honest business people too, even selling used cars. ;)

Ray

3. Hombre

Hombre

I think cars like this need to be looked at with a different perspective and I will give an example. Cirina two years ago had a 1930's something Packard coach built car. The car was for sale but needed a complete restoration, Cirini explained to the new prospective owner that the restoration cost would be way over what the car would be worth even after the restoration. Rebuild cost were in excess of $375,000. That is not including the original purchase price which I am sure was no where near cheap. The feller that did in fact go ahead with the restoration passed away not long after the car was finished. His family had no use for the car and sold it at Auction and the car brought $250,000. This was in the ball park of the figure that Cirini had quoted the man in the beginning.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I have more in my car than I could probably get for it. That doesn't bother me really as I derive a lot of pleasure from that car. I don't really give a flying fart what it is worth to someone else, to me it has no price. These guys just have more money than I do and play the game at a different monetary number than I do. That's cool with me...

4dsrus, mad mikey, j3harleys and 11 others like this.
  4. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

It's definitely a Model A – only it looks like the rear passengers, rather than the front ones, sit with the gas tank in their lap.

5. 392

I think it’s beautiful and can’t say much about how much etc but to me the frame scrub line at cowl looks strange and makes your eyes focus on that area. It looks broken sort of and not my idea of lines flowing. The hours to build this type of ride is mind blowing.

mad mikey, RICH B, Happydaze and 2 others like this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Don't really think much of the car. No doubt the workmanship is good but really, a supposed $1000000 to build a car? Doesn't seem too HAMB friendly to me.... perhaps this should be passed on to the Finacial Times?

dirty old man, Hnstray and Lil32 like this.
  7. scoop

scoop

I noticed you said "once" also.

8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

You know though, although that may appear to to be an over built model A, there is a ton of good ideas there....I would love to look it over in private.

9. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Speaking of loss of value, look at what used rolls royces and Bentleys get

10. 2935ford

2935ford

Common.....isn't that the way everyone builds and sells their cars? :)

Hnstray likes this.
  11. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

While I can appreciate all the work that went into it, and I do love Arduns and S.C.O.T. blowers, sometimes less is more. Honestly I'd rather have this car. Simple, but everything is just right. perfect.jpg

12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

If you watch Chasing Classic Cars on a regular basis, you’d know that Wayne often times works as an agent for the seller and sometimes for the buyer. Who here hasn’t “flipped” a car when the numbers are right?

mad mikey, egads and Hnstray like this.
  13. 34Larry

34Larry

Wonderful car. I also really can get 'into" a build like this but most often ask myself if I had the money to play on the ball field with those boys in that league would I bid on it? Hard to say because having that kind of disposable wealth would certainly change my view of this world and make this hobby something I know nothing of.
    I've watched from the pits at B/J for quite a few years, and like most of you guys know, what they cost to build and what they sell for is just a write off for people with that kind of money. I don't begrudge them in the least. I'd be playing that same tune were it I.

triumph 1 likes this.
  14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

May bring wrqong some one said he had passed on. If not great! More power to him to get well.

15. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

You're correct Roger is laid up after suffering an infected leg from an at work injury. My apologies .Hope he is recovering and comfortable.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    catdad49 likes this.
  16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Ted and Colleen are from Nebraska and can afford to have a car like this built. They are super nice people. Cal Auto Creations is located in Bennington Nebraska, an Omaha suburb. More than likely, they have another car being built as we speak. Maybe two. Who knows, make it 3. Why Wayne was mentioned. Maybe because it would make a good television episode.

GZ, greg32, esrbuilders and 2 others like this.
  17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I saw this A in Nashville a few years ago, unbelievable detail.

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Roger is one of the best parts of the show (according to many people), and Carini has got to be minting money with his show (as well as his other endeavors).

Why does Roger need a "GoFundMe" page?

harpo1313 likes this.
  19. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

dirty old man and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

What? No health care? TV show, butt loads of money, no love to the old guy who is getting these cars and keeping them running? Not to mention getting them running so you can sell them. Odd

21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One word : Greed. I have several friends who have done very well over the last 50 years. With every one of them, too much is not enough. They always want more, no matter what it takes.

mad mikey, harpo1313 and HemiDeuce like this.
  22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@tubman
    Denny........perhaps you can explain the apparent contradiction between your post and your signature line....:D

stanlow69 likes this.
  23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The signature line is not about money. Sex? Cars? Liquor? Maybe, but no filthy lucre.

Anyway, it was Carl Kohler who originally said it, and I don't think he was concerned about money in any way, shape or form. As a matter of fact, I believe he faded away into the mists of obscurity, probably broke. I do know I never saw him on any lists in Fortune magazine.

Edit : Make that Forbes; I seem to be losing it in my old age as well.:oops:

Hnstray likes this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

Call me cynical, but OP joined, after being prompted ...just to post this.

Okay...thinking WC, or the new owner, etc...planted the seed...looking for advertisement, etc.

He/they have it now.

I gotta find some icecream.

X38 and nochop like this.
  26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Perhaps the question is, regardless of the cost and assuming it was going to be a loss, why not just write it off as an advertising expense and then keep it to drive. Unless, of course, it drives like crap. Sorry I said that, not knowing how well it may ride. But if you don't like it for some reason... I know of two recent builds from much smaller shops and there were post build problems, mostly about ergonomics and speed bumps.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The detractors forget that the car was built for a single purpose. that was to compete for The Riddler award. Job done a few awards for the trophy shelf and move on to the next bucket list quest.
    More interesting would be how Wayne came up with the car, Maybe in trade for some hot lick exotic in his showroom that is now getting the "spot" at the high dollar eateries in Platte River
    Like it or not it has the full list of the coolest cost is no object traditional hot rod parts all on one car.
    including Ardun heads, Kinnemont (sp?) brakes and the list goes on and on.
    https://barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/WAYNE-CARINIS-1930-FORD-MODEL-A-CUSTOM-COUPE-238241
    I'd say that for the price someone got a damned cool car that he could never build for that price.
    I never get the poor me bullshit that the same clowns throw out every time a high dollar car gets mentioned or there is a thread on one. Study the photos and see what ideas you can use on your own build done with your own hands that someone else paid mega bucks for the hours involved to come up with that idea.

Hombre, dirty old man, redo32 and 3 others like this.
  28. -Brent-

-Brent-

When the Carini car (or whoever commissioned the build) came out... all I could see was the car they took so much influence from - The Wade Model A conceived by Brian Bass.

Wade Model A.jpg

Tman, alanp561, mad mikey and 8 others like this.
  29. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I can’t remember the title of that thread, but if I remember right, quite a few were up in arms saying the Ridler contender stole its lines and stance from this car. Others didn’t see it that way. Some felt imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. They do bear a striking resemblance in chip and stance. If you know Andy, then you know he doesn’t need to copy from anyone. I like both cars, but I tend to think the Wade coupe has a cleaner look with its simpler, less is more approach. The two were built with different goals in mind. This car here must be seen in person to be fully able to appreciate its level of detail, whether you like them or not. I have seen it and studied it closely on a couple different occasions, and it’s easy to see how it cost seven figures to build. That’s my .02 worth.

mad mikey, Hombre and -Brent- like this.