Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car novel from the day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lordairgtar, Dec 19, 2010.

1. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes she did in Drag Strip. The dad is in a financial bind so the son sells his Woestman-Ebert Special to help out and his sister sells her horses. The dad sells a bunch of land including the old airport to the local junkman and he rents the airport to the hot rodders for $1 a year for their drag strip, as long as he gets all of the concessions business.

2. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

My older bother had that book. I read it several times. He also had this one

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Ghost-Fastest-Funny-Car/dp/B000TYZKB6

Anyone else read it?

3. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

4. Deuces

Deuces

I remember reading one once where the kid needed a tach for his deuce hotrod so he could go drag racing... :rolleyes:
    Anyone know that book title???
    Was it "DRAG STRIP"???

5. Deuces

Deuces

6. guy chachere

guy chachere

Is this the one where the kid and his girlfriend die in wreck racing home from the carshow

7. guy chachere

guy chachere

Is this the one where the kid and his girl friend die on way home from a car show?

8. guy chachere

guy chachere

Remember all of these books, there was another one where the fellow, kind of a nomad who had a car he would race at local tracks, he would drive the car the to the race, change out tires etc and race. One of the races another drive got killed, and he author made out the main character as just "oh well" as he collected his money and going to hit the road.
    Anyone remember this one?

9. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

That was "STREET ROD" only time I ever got an A on a book report. That may have had some thing to do with actually reading the book instead of just checking out the dust covers before giving the book report.:p

10. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

The version I read was titled "boy gets car". Car was 37 Ford coupe. Story ended with Rick racing (beating) Link on his way home from winning car show and ends up driving off bridge. End of car, Ricky and story.

11. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The book with Ricky Madison racing Link Aller on the way home from the car show (and Ricky getting killed in an accident) is Street Rod. The book Boy Gets Car, later renamed Road Rocket, is about Woody Ahern starting the Road Rocket Car Club and buying a 1947 Ford for his first car.

12. Dwardo

Dwardo

I don't remember who wrote it but I distinctly remember it. We would get into a reading circle and everybody was to read from the story assigned for the day. I read really fast and always did so I was bored witless and would routinely get in trouble for reading ahead to other stories. I recall the soldier put an Oldsmobile engine in the Jeep and would have gotten in trouble for it but he saved the general's life by outrunning an artillery barrage. It was the Korean War. That's what I recall anyway. Back then we had interesting stories, particularly for boys. Hate to think what they have now.

13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, Dave Dawson Over Tokyo; landing at night on a beach by moonlight to pick up his buddy who got shot down. Made me shiver.