Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Any Model B Banger performance heads?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mdimages, Jan 13, 2020.

1. mdimages

mdimages

Seems to be only "A" high compressions heads out there... If I want to get a little more out of my model B motor, what route do I take when it comes to my head? Will an A head fit and work properly? If so them I need to ditch my water pump as well, and get a four bolt.

Matt

2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Model A head will bolt right on the B motor just have to use the A water pump and neck for the upper hose, took the Winfield head off the A motor in my 30 pickup and put it on the B motor I built for it. There is an adapter around to use the B water pump on the A head but cost more than a leakless A water pump. The water pump and upper hose neck are available thru any Model A parts vendor, also takes two long studs for the neck.

mdimages likes this.
  3. The high compression head designed for the Model A will bolt on but be sure the two holes shown on the attached head photo are plugged in the block or covered by the gasket (you will probably be using a Model B gasket). Note there is a high compression stock appearing cast iron head in work that uses the 3 bolt water pump if you want to look original.

Charlie Stephens

IMG_6060.jpeg

mdimages likes this.
  4. mdimages

mdimages

With installation of an “A” head on a “B” motor. Blocking the two steam ports between cylinder 2-3 is not an issue? How did you go about this so it didn’t blow through the gasket?

thanks Matt

5. mdimages

mdimages

So you can block these holes with no problem. Nice to know.

Is there any heads out there that are around 7:1? Is like to get a lions or a windfield but all I’m finding available nowadays is the Snyder 6:1... I feel I can get close to that with a deck job on my “C” cast head.

6. mdimages

mdimages

I will be doin a v-8 water pump swap as well. I would like to drop the crank pulls to a 3” as well if it dosnt require dropping the pan. But I feel it does...

7. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I used a Model A head gasket and ran my B motor for a couple of years with no problems . Used the A water neck and water pump.

mdimages likes this.