Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Connecticut Inspection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modagger, Jan 21, 2020.

1. modagger

modagger

Greetings!

I’m champing at the bit to buy a ‘30’s coupe but it seems that every one I find has a windshield height that violates Ct. law.

My understanding is that it has to be at least ten inches high. Is that measured at the center of the windshield, which would be the smallest area, or in front of the driver?

I’m looking at one now that has a clear title and is registered in another state. Does anyone know if it needs a “composite” or any inspection to register in Ct.?

Help!!

2. Not trying to be an ass, but all of your questions should be answered on your Connecticut DMV website.

OLSKOOL57, firstinsteele and alanp561 like this.
  3. As far as the windshield goes, I think most states that have that law measure it in the middle of the windshield, where it is usually tightest. :(

4. modagger

modagger

I been over the website a few times and get conflicting information. In one section it says that out of state cars don’t have to be inspected, in another, the one regarding composite vehicles, is where I find all of the requirements. I too assume, there’s that “ass” again, that it would be measured in the center.

I’ve been trying to avoid a informational trip to the DMV, but maybe that’s what I need to do.

Thanks for the reply

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. ...........Apparently they modeled it after the MVA in Maryland.:rolleyes:

lothianwilly71 and X-cpe like this.
  6. modagger

modagger

Correction: “I’ve” been over the website. Need to spellcheck before engaging finger.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. TimCT

TimCT

Another nutmegger here - and I don't blame you for trying to get as much info OUTSIDE the DMV as possible. I've actually emailed them before and believe it or not, they do respond. I would give them as much information as humanly possible the first time around to increase your chances of getting useful info out of them. It took me 2 days to hear back from them once I sent in the first inquiry. All the info (in writing) and none of eye-rolling snark.

8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

No need to be perfect on the HAMB. Wee no wut peepel is saain.

lothiandon1940, nochop and catdad49 like this.
  9. modagger

modagger

Thanks Tim! I’ll pack a lunch for my trip.

Dave, you are killin’ me!

I will report here on my foray into the abyss.

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Used to be: To get an out of state [or in state] car registered in CT you just have to have the vin checked and bill of sale. They, DMV, are not supposed to check anything other than the vin.. There are places other than DMV to get vin checked.. If windshield is too short its up to police to catch, ticket you. If not being a jerk while driving around odds are they won't bother you.. Used to be..

Paul B, ted kovacs, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. modagger

modagger

Thanks Seb

That is encouraging.

12. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

What Seb said. Actually vehicle purchased out of state needs to have vin checked at a DMV office and not all offices do that. Wethersfield office does it maybe Willimantic too but you will need to check that. That is your “inspection”.
    Police seem to have bigger fish to fry besides windshield height IMHO.

Also, if you buy the vehicle out of state, fill out with the seller a CT bill of sale form. You can download them from their website. They like that at DMV.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. modagger

modagger

This is very encouraging. I’ve been agonizing over all of the requirements for a “composite” vehicle. Perhaps it’s for naught. I certainly hope so.

Oh, and rest assured, that mug shot will be replaced with a car as soon as I have one.

14. ......Thank you.:D;)

lothianwilly71 and firstinsteele like this.
  15. modagger

modagger

16. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Save yourself any potential trouble and avoid the vin check at the dmv. I always take the car, title (if there is one) and bill of sale to a state licensed garage that does emissions to have a vin check done. Make sure you know where on the car the vin is so the garage doesn't have to try to find it. If it's on the car twice like plate and frame you can point that out too.

http://ctemissions.com/vin-verifications

As mentioned above illegal equipment is a traffic enforcement issue not a registration issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Attached Files:

AVater and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Thank you vintage6t and good to know. Last time I bought a vehicle out of state DMV had to do the vin check. Nice change!

19. modagger

modagger

Yes, thank you vintage6t!

If I escape relatively unscathed from my trip to the maw of confusion, (Temptations 1970), I will report!

20. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

If the Ct. DMV is anything like the NY, DMV you may never get the correct answer. I have been told one thing at one DMV office and completely the opposite at another. Add to the fact that NY now gives illegal aliens the right to have a drivers license and the lines are 6 hours long, I may never try to register a car in NY again. The last thing you want to happen is owning a car you can't drive because it can't be inspected legally. As much as you say you want it, I would pass on the car.

21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I have seen many chopped cars driven in CT, as stated if you do not drive like an ass the police will not usually bother you. At least in my area there is a donut shop every mile so they have better things to do.
    Hell New Britain has a Dunkin Donut shop attached to the police station!

seb fontana likes this.
  22. modagger

modagger

Really good information all, thanks!

Found out the car is not registered as a composite, and has one VIN. So.....from what I can glean from the DMV website is I will only have to take the car to an emissions test site, one is a mere two blocks from me, and have the VIN verified. One can only hope.

23. 4ty

4ty

Try to get a copy of previous registration that matches the VIN on the car. Any emissions station can verify it. If it works out, tip the tech.
    Paul in CT

24. modagger

modagger

Report from the dark side: my trip to the DMV today was nothing like any of my past experiences. Granted, it has been a few years but it was very positive!

Not only did I receive the information I was hoping for, the young woman that I spoke with was actually pleasant! I wonder if it was her first day?

I presented these facts: “I’m buying a car from out of state that has a clear title and is currently registered. It is more than twenty five years old. What do I need to do to register it in Ct.?”

She replied: “oh, it’s a classic!, well then, you will have to take it to any one of our emission testing centers to have the VIN verified. If you don’t have plates to take it there, bring the paperwork here and we will issue temporary plates for you. After that, come back, pay the fees and register your car!”.

So, no safety inspection is needed to complete this process. I am very happy!

25. allstarderrick22

allstarderrick22

No inspection. Go to a shop that does state emissions testing and get a Vin verification. Then head to the DMV

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

When I lived in CT we use to say "if you wanted to see the dead come back to life".
    "Go to the DMV at 4:30, because they had to take care of everyone that was in the building by 5:00, when they closed!"
    Glad to here that you had a good experience on your visit.
    KK

27. modagger

modagger

Koolkat

Years ago when I was a tech for AT&T, I had a service call there. Way around in the back of the office out of sight from the suffering public, there was banner about ten feet long that read, “SMILE!”. It didn’t work as far as I could tell.

I’m finalizing the deal for the car and should have a resolution regarding the DMV in a couple of weeks. I’ll let you all know how it went. Or didn’t went.

28. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

29. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Make sure when you return to DMV you DO NOT bring the title. Just your Bill of Sale, VIN Inspection and proof of insurance. If you give them your title they will take it and not issue a new one..

30. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

100% Matt is 100% right. NY, DMV did exactly that to me. I had a beautiful title from the 1940's from the state of Iowa, it was almost like an engraved document, it was so nice. The DMV confiscated it when I registered it in NY. The State of NY does not issue titles for under 1972 vehicles, so they took it. I begged the DMV agent and she wouldn't hear me. All I wanted it for was to frame it on my garage wall, that's how nice it was. Don't give them your title if you don't have to!!!!!!