Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Photobucket ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dago 88, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can some one explain to me the advantages of using Photobucket, I love nothing more than to go over old threads & when I do most of the pic's become red X's or are blured. Might be off topic but I could never understand why members use it, there must be a good reason for it. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no advantage anymore as mass storage is so cheap there is no reason...

The only ones that can repair the threads are the ones who posted the pics...some do...thank you...but many don't for various reasons.

lothiandon1940, ALW and Dago 88 like this.
  3. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do your pic's disappear after a certain time @manyolcars ?

Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is an advantage or form of security keeping copies of pics out of your house...

But that costs money but if your house burns down you still have them elsewhere...

5. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Stoggie, now I can see why. :)

Stogy likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dago Photosucket was a free Service and now they want Money and many said F'u and they electronically destroy your pics Anywhere you post them IF you don't pay...

Dago 88 likes this.
  7. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Yup, Stogy is right.

It was a free web hosting service once.
    Then one day right out of the blue they said tough luck buddy, all your pictures you have saved onto our Photobucket site are now gone unless you give us $500 Australian dollars. I think it was about $350 US dollars, cannot remember exactly. But it worked out to about $500 Aussie dollars, a considerable sum.

My response to that was the middle finger.

Since then they have come crawling back several times begging me to sign up for a paying subscription, each time for less dollars.

Again my response has been the middle finger.
    The folks at Photobucket are greedy scumbags and best avoided.

loudbang, TagMan, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd bet the average Hamber won't fill a 1 TerraByte Drive in a lifetime...pics and all...

They're $60-70 Canadian probably plug and play...:cool:...put your other chit on it too...tons of space. Buy 2, and 1 goes to storage somewhere....

Most desktops, laptops, tablets, even phones have Sizable Storage built in...

And no more Photobucket, Tinypic, redx's...just Happy Hamb...:)

9. squirrel

squirrel

No one can, because there are none.

But in the olden days before the HAMB was able to store so many image files, it was a convenient way for some folks to post pictures here. Unfortunately, the unintended consequence of using it was that the pictures would go away after several years.

LM14 likes this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

simply post your pics directly to the Hamb, It is simple and free...

11. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

^^^ on point.

The "olden days" lol. I do remember when Photobucket was the greatest thing for picture storage.......

loudbang likes this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...deal-with-photo-bucket.1179868/#post-13398084

Hey D,
    This topic is relatively new...not. But, for all of the replies against photobucket, that must tell most people what not to do, to store your photos. We are talking about family photos and not those anyone has copied off of the internet. Why waste your own storage when it is available just about any where on the internet with a little search. As one person posting above, if you only do your family history and important papers, 1 TB SSD should do it for you.

If you have a second drive with the valuable photos, use your safe deposit box as an off site storage back up. You will have to go get it and update it when you update your home computer files. To us, that is pretty safe. No one is holding us hostage to pay a monthly fee. (Other than the usual safe deposit bank fee) But, if you do pay a monthly photobucket fee...follow the thread post above and get them back to your own external hard drive.

Jnaki
    For us, storage is what it means, store stuff that is important to you and family members for your history. Those are what is important to most people. The external hard drives should also be SSD versions for fast transfers and small in physical size. Don't get moving parts hard drives as they can cause more trouble than SSD drives. YRMV

13. As others have pointed out, photobucket was a free storage service and easy to post images from the site, then out of the blue they decided to hold all the photo's for ransom and it wasn't just a few bucks but a substantial amount of money and if you don't pay we will block all your past photo's with a red X or blur them so bad you can't tell what they were.

Had they not been so greedy and ask for a modest amount of money I believe most users would have paid the piper, now there a hundreds of thousands of post that are great articles but rendered almost useless with red X's.

I was able to retrieve some of my photo's but hundreds of others are gone forever. HRP

loudbang and Speed Gems like this.
  14. ALW

ALW

my internet subsc comes with webspace.
    perhaps yours does

squirrel likes this.
  15. Red X's, lost/blurred photo's, photos essentially held for ransom..I'm glad I never used them, a shame others have.

loudbang likes this.
  16. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used PhotoBucket, but dropped them when they wanted an astronomical amount to continue. I then went, and still currently using, 'Flickr", which has been good. I was under the impression that I was saving Ryan bandwidth by using a photo hosting service, but with Moriarity kind of urging us to use the HAMB, I will do so......if I can figure out how to do it.

loudbang likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

You have to click the "upload a file" button, and then follow the directions. But if your images are too large, you might have to resize them smaller, first. I generally go to 1024 width, but up to 2000 pixels wide is fine. I also tend to crop the excess stuff around the edges, before resizing, and this often eliminates the need to resize.

18. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I'm glad this topic has come up, its so frustrating trying to figure out how to do something and the photos are blurred or x'ed out. I guess that's a huge advantage to having those old magazines laying around.

loudbang likes this.
  19. rooman

rooman

I keep all of my files on two computers (at different locations-shop and home) and also have a 4TB hard drive, another 1TB drive and several portable hard drives with the images stored on them as well. I also have the capability to add an SSD via the hub that I use to download from the various different storage chips that my cameras use but have not yet felt the need. I probably have around 50K images stored and they sure take up less space than the older prints and transparencies that I recently started scanning to add to the digital data bank. All of this is in addition to the Google,Amazon and Apple storage apps that also back up my local storage of anything that I take with my phone/IPad.

Roo

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I am going to get all of photos printed and put them in photo albums. then I am going to invite everyone over to look at em.....

alchemy, ALW, HEMI32 and 3 others like this.
  21. 5window

5window

Sunday? 'Cause the week after is the Superbowl!

22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll bring the beer.;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. .......I will assist in any way that I can in consuming it.:D;)

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  24. 1962 dodge lancer

1962 dodge lancer
    from joliet, il

photo bucket sucks !!

ALW likes this.
  25. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know about that, Moriarty is probably a Hamm's drinker. We might have to import some of that Point Beer from over the line in Stevens Point, Wisconsin.

lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I am actually an x drinker since 1983.....

27. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

What do photobucket and beer have in common? They both cost money that is better spent on Hot Rods and Customs! :D

ALW and 1stGrumpy like this.
  28. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

Can we get little stickers that say "Like" to put on some of those pictures?

alanp561 and Moriarity like this.
  29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

10 bucks at the nearest dollar store. I have waaay over 1000 pics on one and its not full yet.

Capture scan.JPG

30. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's OK, more for @lothiandon1940 and the rest of us