Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tire Help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GordonC, Jan 18, 2020.

1. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys,

I am looking for some tire help. I currently have a new set of 5.50 x 16 Coker Classics on the front of my 31 roadster and have a wobble in the front end when driving. By new I mean I have had them a few years but they were purchased new from Coker and I don't have many miles on them yet. I have 1935 wire wheels with the tires mentioned above and they balanced out ok and seemed fairly true for wheels that old. I did have to use adapters with the support rings to mount these wheels to my 50 F1 drums. So to eliminate the tires, wheels, and the adapters as a part of the wobble I would like to remove them and replace them with a set of F100 wheels that I have. I did a lot of searching and reading here on eliminating wobble and almost all say to try a different set of tires and wheels. What I need to know is what name brand and size of new tire can I replace the 5.50s with which are close in size and look? What are some of you running on your cars? The F100 wheels are 15 x 5 1/2" with a 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern so they should work well as replacements. I just wanted to hear some suggestions on sizes and brands. Thanks.

Gordon

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the same wheels I am thinking of using on my Model A with the same drums.

Coker says that the 5.50 16 is 27/36 inches in OD From what I am finding in their bias tires they have a 550 15 that is 25 . something tall or a 670 that is 28 something inches tall but I didn't search much.
    You just have to do as any of would have to do for you and dig though the available tires and find one that works.

3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Mr48Chev. I was just wondering if somebody had a brand they have installed that worked out well for them. Appreciate the help tho.

4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nobody else running front tires on their A?

5. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

Hey Gordon,

We have 5.50R16's that might work well for you. You can visit our website at www.dbtires.com and look up the Auburn Deluxe. Hope this helps. Also there is another current thread on the HAMB about our 5.60R15's, which is the same style as the size you need.

5window likes this.