Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical cant figure out no fire to dizzy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Materguru, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

There were several questions posted above which you didn't answer, but spent a lot of time writing responses to people who you think dissed you. You obviously understand very little on how a points ignition system works, and have a lot to learn. A little humility, a thicker skin and a good attitude will go a long ways. There's a lot of people around here who will help you, I think you may have chased many of them away already. Good luck.

stillrunners, Blue One and egads like this.
  2. Materguru

Materguru

3. Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  4. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

At least you haven't had the obligatory HAMB Bozo remark "put a Chebbie in it" lol. Really guys, making that much fuss over a guy humbly asking for help because he said "dizzy"? Pretty smartass and condescending in my book
    internet-tough-guy.jpg

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I'd try a different condenser. If your test lamp lights with the condenser connected and then goes out when you connect it, the condenser is highly suspect.

Actually, if you look at the schematic of the internal wiring of a coil, you will see that there will be LOW voltage on the HIGH voltage terminal. Refer to the diagram below and notice that the "From Ignition Switch" terminal on the coil has two internal connections. One of them is to the low voltage primary winding, and the other is to the high voltage secondary. The result is that you WILL measure low voltage on the high voltage tower terminal. It's just another test you can do to determine if a coil is good or not. The internal wiring is the same on the newer "E-core" style coils as well.
    Coil.jpg

Coils.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  6. Don’t take it to heart,,,most of these guys are fantastic people.
    To be fair,,,the original post was lacking a lot of information .
    If you are a new guy,,sometimes it can be a little personal I guess.
    Remember,,,these are men,,,,and many are much older,,,,and were raised in a time when it was proper to call someone out,,,if they did something that was not up to par.
    Or in a more blunt way to say,,,acting stupid or speaking out of turn.

Also,,,most dislike the term “Dizzy”,,,,just to be honest .
    I remember several years ago when it appeared,,,,,I could never bring myself to use it .
    No disrespect to the guys that use it or brought it here ,,,but like the others mentioned before,,,I can’t stand the term !
    I always use distributor,,,or abbreviation,,,,dist .
    Like you,,,sometimes I need help on stuff that is older,,,even though I used it ages ago .
    It is easy to forget the simple things sometimes,,and need a refresher .

And also,,,sometimes I remember just fine,,I just ask a question to get a conversation going,,,so it can be posted and anyone lurking can get some information,,without asking and having to look stupid . I would rather look stupid ,,than the young guys,,,I am a lot older,,and have had a lot more practice at it,,,,LoL.

Don’t give up,,,these guys here are the smartest guys you will meet when it comes to the old ways . They are not pushovers,,,,but they still care,,,and want to help !

Tommy

Blue One likes this.
  7. prpmmp

prpmmp

This is for Blue One!! And Larry, have a snickers:D!! Pete

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Prolly not...

prpmmp likes this.
  9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think I bought the 45 of that one. :cool:

stillrunners and prpmmp like this.
  10. prpmmp

prpmmp

No problem with the tranny but the shifter:eek:! Pete

11. Dang....luv that song.....and that skirt - thanks !

12. It's basic trouble shooting as found in any manual....or maybe the internet.....just bought a manual last night to run a wire diagram issue I'm having....which in response to my buddies - I'll do a manual any day to the internet !
    Gas - firing - compression.....gots to have em' !

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That goes back way further than I have been interested in cars. First time I heard it I was probably 8 or 9 years old and the only "trannys" were gear boxes between the engine and rear axle.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remembering back to when I was 16 and the first time I changed the points in my 51 Merc you can indeed get the lead to the points or condenser in the wrong spot and ground things out to where you have no fire. Gave my auto shop teacher a big laugh when I walked to his house to ask him for Ideas on how to fix it and he explained it right after a great laugh at my expense. That time I had the lead on the wrong side of he insulator and up against the body of the distributor. 56-1/2 years later I still remember it.

15. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

There should be a metal tag on the side of your the distributor with a model number, what is it?

16. Materguru

Materguru

thanks for all your advice...the problem ended up being a ground in the distributor where the points are. i let one of the legs of a points tough the housing of the points itself therefore grounding the whole distributor. Barney Gaylord spent two hours on the phone and quided me through the coil to the points. He is doing a travel log checkout MGAGURU.COM