Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical cant figure out no fire to dizzy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Materguru, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Materguru

Materguru

Mallory...old Mallory dizzy advice and refurbishing? i ;have a 49 8ba that gets power into but not a lick of power coming out of it. Not to mention setting points or anything else. im also looking for a condenser. one of the old ones that has burgundy bake lite. or the replacement for it. i need to know the testing for the dizzy. As i said got power going into but not getting to plugs. any and all replies are appreciated. need suggestions as to problem with starting

2. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but there shouldn't be power going to the distributor. Only a ground wire from the points to the negative side of the coil. Is this where your problem is or?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  3. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

One side of the coil is switch hot , the other side to points .
    " Op " the Mallory you have , It Does have point , correct? Not a Unlite .

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

condenser,its always the condenser, dont even trust a new one

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you say "power" do you mean:
    1. You have high voltage power from the coil going into the distributor but none coming back out to the spark plugs?

or

2. You have 6/12 volts on both screw terminals of the coil?

or

3. You have 6/12 volts on just one of the screw terminals on the coil?

or

4. You have 6/12 volts on the smaller wire going into the distributor from the coil?

Occasionally a little more detail helps us diagnose a problem.

If it's a points style distributor clip a 6/12 volt test light to the smaller wire going from the distributor to the coil. Then when you crank the engine the test light should flash each time the points open and close.

Report back with further info.

Desoto291Hemi and egads like this.
  6. Coil? What coil? Lmao

7. With Ebbspead....so you have power to - you checked by taking the hot side wire and grounding it with a spark that almost made you....ok.....let's look at the point's or condenser - BUT first - when was the last time you drove your car or started it ?.....Oh - we charge by the hour - so give as much info you can....time deducted for PICTURES !

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Maybe it’s because you’re too dizzy ( or ditzy) to understand that you’re dealing with a distributor not a “dizzy “.:D

9. Materguru

Materguru

Wow, Some of you guys are real geniuses, a real tribute to this forum. for those of you with the smart ass remarks keep them to yourselves maybe you could impress your buddies at the bar with your jokes the others I appreciate all your help I can see why people don’t ask questions anymore remember when you didn’t know shit I guess not I guess you were born brilliant

patterg2003, harpo1313 and 19Eddy30 like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a frigging DISTRIBUTOR not some retarded "dizzy".

As mentioned above the points have to close to build up the magnetic field in the coil that collapses and produces the high voltage that goes to the plugs.
    You won't have a higher voltage on the distributor side of the primary winding than you have on the switch side. It should be pretty close to the same when the points are open but you shouldn't show a voltage when the points are closed grounding the primary winding.
    That means you have to correctly set the point gap with the rubbing block (s) of the points on the tip of the lobe of the distributor cam and not on the flat. If you set with that block anywhere except exactly on the tip of one of the lobes they are not adjusted correctly. Meaning that they open further and don't close.
    Someone can tell you what the gap should be but we have to know the distributor number and what setup you have.

The condenser acts to absorb/cushion the current to the points when the points open to keep the current from jumping the points. The adage of of "I have spark at the points" isn't actually what you want as you just burnt the points. They shouldn't spark if you have the correct capacity of condenser aka capacitor.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  11. Materguru

Materguru

Everybody’s big talk behind an avatar

Fordors, harpo1313 and 19Eddy30 like this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Something as simple as having the points grounded out on the dist. breaker plate can cause major hair pulling. Happened to me when I was a teenager learning about working on cars. I am not one of the lucky ones that was born brilliant. Continue on , I will be following.

Desoto291Hemi and 19Eddy30 like this.
  13. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Mr48chev
    I'm so glad to here you call it what it is. A DISTRIBUTOR. When did it start being called a "DIZZY". I cringe every time I see that term.

14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

You guys don't have a problem with tranny?

King ford, prpmmp and wraymen like this.
  15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure if one or both of these responses are directed to me or not, BUT there are some here that are trying to help. Rather than your responses I quoted, maybe you could HELP US HELP YOU by providing some of the detail we asked for. You have to realize that it takes more than 0.001" of skin thickness to survive in this group, so suck it up and give us relevant info.

Let's assume that someone else asked your initial question above, and you read it. Is there really enough information there to determine what the problem might be?

stillrunners and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  16. sunbeam

sunbeam

Put a test light on the distributor side of the coil and crank the engine It should blink.

17. I almost didn't reply (or try to help) here being like most I'm not exactly sure you understand what your doing. You have said nothing about the Coil or how or what your doing to try to make spark. Your opening question leaves questions. Are you working on a Distributor on the Bench or fully installed on a motor? You do understand that the Coil is what makes the Plug end of the wires Spark, right? Not being a Smart Ass here nor do I think anyone else is. There is however some "Odd Humor" that some might take offensive. Once we get past that part there is a ton of help here, I just pick and choose who I choose to reply to. Should I come back?

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  19. birdman1

birdman1

20. Materguru

Materguru

As I said thanks for all the decent minded help. Some people Truly are a benefit. and ebbspeed your to sensitive. I know the terms and just to lazy to type IT ALL OUT. I appreciate the truly trying to help but the HAMB is becoming what others have told me it is. Mr 48 chev. and Blue one you can blow me. Ebbspeed no I wasn't taling to you. unless your being a smart ass. im here to truly learn. Not fend off a bunch of 3rd graders. But I have learned that there are a lot of know it all Dicks here. PM me please if would like to help. Im just trying to further the hobby.

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Talk like that may get you a gap in your smile. ;)

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

With all of that typing you could've just answered the questions...

427 sleeper and Blue One like this.
  23. Materguru

Materguru

did you ask one

24. Materguru

Materguru

just help is all I need. the motor is in the car. its never been cranked since rebuild. I am using a 12volt battery to start it. I have light tester that tells me if I have 6 volt or 12volt coming out of a wire. or continuity. see? I have 12 going to the batt. side of terminals on the coil and 6 volt coming out of coil top. and on the negative or other DISTRIBUTOR side is 12 volt too until I touch the condenser then it turns to continuity. whats up? should I even put that dist. side wire to the condesor or to the points. its a dual point Mallory with new points and rotor...hope that helps

25. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This sounds like you might have a shorted condenser.

stillrunners likes this.
  26. KenC

KenC

If that red means the high voltage terminal, something is very wrong. Should be nothing there except at the instant the points open.On the blue phrase, where are the leads connected? Is your 'light tester' self powered? More info is needed as others have asked.

27. Materguru

Materguru

thanks Ebb's. so replace?

28. Materguru

Materguru

the light tester has the light side on the dist. side and and the ground side on the frame.

29. stillrunners likes this.
  30. Materguru

Materguru

reading now. thanks to stuff like this...people like you