Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chrysler air flow

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Jan 20, 2020.

1. birdman1

birdman1

Whatever happened to the airflow? It would be a nasty hotrod

2. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My Dads favorite car! Me.....not so much! Lol

Bones

4. My dad bought one after WWII, he said it was a great car. This was one of the first cars designed in a wind tunnel. Too bad it never caught on with the consumers and not many were made or sold. It was quite an innovative car for the time.

wraymen and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. A friend has one that has been sitting a long time. Don't know what shape it's in but i'm sure he would sell it. It's not listed on his website (Partsofthepast.com), but i know he has one.

7. Ed Hegarty & Dave Dozier's #404 XX/VGC '34 DeSoto Airflow (with a supercharged '39 Chrysler 323ci Straight 8 flathead) was campaigned at Bonneville in the '80s & '90s:

Dozier_Hegarty Trailing Edge T-Shirt (pic by 50Fraud).jpg
    image by @50Fraud

Dozier_Hegarty DeSoto Airflow - in line - 1989.jpg
    Dozier_Hegarty DeSoto Airflow - in pits - 1989.jpg
    Dozier_Hegarty Desoto Airflow - trunk - 1989.jpg
    Ed Hegarty DeSoto Airflow - Dave Dozier Supercharged Chrysler Straight 8 - 1989.jpg
    Dozier_Hegarty  DeSoto Airflow -  1990.jpg
    images by @HEMI32

Both Dave & Ed have passed on :( ... but Ed's son, @Mike Hegarty has continued to run the #404 Airflow at B'ville:

Hegarty_Dozier DeSoto Airflow (by no bux rod).jpg
    photographer unknown - posted by @no bux rod

Hegarty_Dozier DeSoto Airflow with  Supercharged Chrysler Straight 8 by Cub Barnett.jpg
    photographer unknown

Mike Hegarty - #404 DeSoto Airflow Bonneville racecar.jpg
    image by @HEMI32

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  8. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

That's surely the one I saw on my bucket list trip to the salt in 2001. I think it has a Ford flathead. There was something under the hood that nobody could identify. Somebody finally figured out it was a home-made intercooler. Typical of the unusual stuff that shows up thete.

town sedan and VANDENPLAS like this.

9. cool car,, not all hotrods have to be Nasty.

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A few years ago, there was one down the road from you at the Missouri Valley Iowa swapmeet for sale. Incomplete and cheap. $3000 ? Any pic`s of the fenderless one from the east coast.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. X-cpe

X-cpe

25/30 years ago Ken Smith, Wheaton, MD built one. Bright yellow (maybe also magenta at one time), featured in one of the magazines at the time.

12. so cool and slippery at the same time for the 30's.......

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

I would love to do one, but I can't get past the "buy in" point. Those people are pretty proud of their rusty remains. Gene

14. Any incomplete Airflow is just a parts car. Sometimes 'rare' ain't that special. Kinda like having one of only three Mercedes, and yours is missing some parts and the other two are finished and owned by people you know ain't never gonna sell. You don't have a Mercedes, you just have Mercedes parts.

woody45, Texas Webb and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

rod1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

town sedan, LAROKE, Rich S. and 2 others like this.
  17. birdman1

birdman1

Always wanted to go to the Henry Ford museum. I have been to the Harold Warp museum in nebraska.and the stuhr museum. There was a airflow sitting next to a shop here when I was a kid.

18. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

It got copied by some guy named Ferdinand Porsche and turned into a rear engined people mover for the masses. It was not very popular, folks weren't ready for such a change from the more conservative lines of it's contemporaries. Took about six years for the next generation of designers to break out there French curve templates.

19. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

All of the trim is Airflow only so hard to find and expensive. The coupes are rare, for example Chrysler only built 306 coupes in 1935.
    lml-35.jpg

20. Here's a nasty hot rod on ebay for $4299.99:
    s-l400-1.jpg

21. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The DeSoto Airflow is a very cool stylish automobile. This one is all stock, it belongs to a friend of mine. It was hard to get any really good shots of it in his tightly packed garage. Very cool split windshield that both sides that can be opened separately.
    DSC_1582 (2).JPG DSC_1583 (2).JPG DSC_1591 (2).JPG DSC_1592 (2).JPG

22. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

The atmosphere of a smart modern penthouse :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

23. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Back some 25+ years ago there was an Airflow street rod at NSRA York. I think it was chopped but I remember the car's name was Hairflow.

24. town sedan likes this.
  25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

What? You think that is a Ford Flathead V8? It's a Chrysler straight eight with a blower. No intercooler. Anyone who thinks that is a Ford V8 has to turn in their Hot Rodder card.
    at?

LWEL9226, HEMI32, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  26. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

For me the problem is I knew it was a Chrysler inline 8, the other problem is I've always wanted one, oh the shame.

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have a book for sale on Ebay you might want. DSCN0228.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The similarities in design are apparent..however, you might rethink your comment if you do some research on the German (and neighboring Countries) advanced designs of the very early ‘30s. Not only Porsche, but Ledwinka and Kamm were all into aerodynamics in that era.

Sort of like who ‘invented’ the first airplanes......we know who got most of the credit, but the same thing was going on in many places at the same time.

I love the looks of that Desoto Bonneville car, so I mean no disrespect when I say it looks like a mashup between a VW/Airflow and a Divco, especially the Divco, which I think came a little later. Two things may be involved. One, ‘imitation is the sincerest form of flattery’ and two (more likely) things designed to perform a certain function often turn out looking alike, even when designed a ‘world’ apart, because that is what it took to achieve the goal with available knowledge and materials of the period.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    town sedan likes this.
  29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They stopped using the Airflow name but they never stopped building Airflow cars. Don't believe me? Compare any 1933 or pre Airflow car design to the 1934 - 37 Airflow compared to any make of car made afterward. You will see that no other car before the Airflow, looked like the Airflow, while every car made afterward copied the Airflow with chubbier fenders.
    Ferdinand Porsche visited the US in 1937 to bone up on the latest mass production techniques and design trends. He was well aware of the Airflow but the final version of the VW was copied off a rear engine experimental car built by Briggs for the Ford company. This prototype evolved into the Lincoln Zephyr and its designers used to brag about how they had improved on the Airflow design.

upload_2020-4-21_15-54-40.jpeg upload_2020-4-21_15-55-5.jpeg

mgtstumpy and town sedan like this.