Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Southeast Gasser 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Jan 19, 2020.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well to all of the folks that followed my Morris Minor Gasser build. The car is sold and has been replaced with a 1965 Comet 202 4 door station wagon .
    It will be built with the intent of running the new SEGA super stock class. It is a class for the guy or gal that wants to race heads up with a stick shift car but does not want a straight axle car or who does not have the fat wallet to compete with the top cars in the Gasser ranks.
    It is not cheap to do any kind of motorsports, but the rules in the super stock class are still lbs per cubic inch . the small block car race at 9.5 lbs per cubic inch and the big block cars run at 8.5 lbs per cubic inch. With the FE ford at 8.25 lbs per cubic inch.
    the rules are more restrictive allowing only dual plane type intake manifolds and having a spec 29x7.0 inch tire that Hoosier has made for the class.
    Only H pattern shifters, approved heads. The whole rule package is on the SEGA website.
    I chose the 65 Comet wagon because I like 65 Comets and I like station wagons . I am going to use the motor that I was building for the Morris Minor. A 333 inch Windsor and my Liberty prepped top loader. I have sent my twisted input shaft off to Liberty to replace the shaft portion with a new shaft made from 300 M . That way I can keep my new clutch that I already have. I will need a new oil pan and my motor will be ready.
    Eventually the Windsor will be replaced by a small cubic inch FE because technically a 352 is a big block and can be lighter than my Windsor and who wouldn't like to see an FE in that car ?
    Here is the car. We went down to Conyers ,Ga. today and picked it up. DSCF3590.JPG

2. Sweet...can’t await to see what ya do with it...here’s some inspiration... B60F66CD-C20F-4A50-89A5-2F2B5BFF62DC.jpeg 4EC21FE8-F78B-40B8-A77F-63701D16BD82.jpeg

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's always nice when you can take the entire family racing with you.

4. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Cool project! Will you use the six banger front suspension or convert to V8 components? (I noticed the Zephyr 4 lug wheels)

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Love the roof-rack .... are you going to leave it blue as is?

6. I sure hope so...that 6 banger stuff is pretty thin compared to the V8 stuff..I really recommend Opentracker for parts..

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

This should be a fun ride along.

8. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is gonna be AWESOME!!! :cool:

9. Crkrjac

Crkrjac
    from Waxhaw NC

Awesome! Loved the Morris, but I have a feeling i’m going to like this more! Good to finally see a SEGA Super Stock build on the H.A.M.B. !

10. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks to the people who will be following this build. Yes the front end components will be changed to V8 parts. I will be installing disc brakes on the front. I have located a 57 Ford station wagon rear end and I might just put discs on that also.
    First thing to do is to pull the running 6 cylinder 3 speed on the column out. I got a great deal on the car by giving the engine and transmission back to the previous owner so he can install it in a Rat Rod he is building.
    Next will be some floor pan repairs. It is amazing the carpets are really not bad but the floors soft.
    The front and back seats are not torn but I have located a set of early 60's Econoline seats that will replace the front and according to the rules I can remove the back eat and just run carpet or a floor mat back there.
    The rule book says a roll bar or cage is optional . Well this 70 year old racer says that the car will get an 8 point roll bar. I know what it feels like to crash and I know what it feels like to lose friends who thought safety was just an added expense.
    I talked to Robert Peffley who is heading up the SEGA super stock side of the SEGA and he told me that the lift bars from the Thunderbolt Fairlanes and Comets were legal because they were factory. So I will be on the phone with Crites today about a set.
    A fiberglass front bumper and hood will replace the steel ones. Once again legal parts.
    Still haven't located a Super Shifter yet. I have fund a competition plus model, but would trade if anyone has a super shifter for my Hurst inline shifter that is no longer legal in super stock.
    Trying to decide whether to just use the stock clutch linkage or go to a cable like I had on the Morris Minor.

11. tpw35

tpw35

You might want to drop the front mount location of the crites lift bars.

12. catdad49

catdad49

I'll be watching, Quain said that SEGA has gained a few new sponsors forthe new season. Are you planning on racing this year?

13. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

I'm jealous! I have a '65 Dart wagon that I use as a fun dry-weather car during the cold winter months of Michigan, but my favorite wagon is a '65 Comet. Nice score!

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You looking for a shifter with the reverse lockout?

enloe and loudbang like this.
  15. Interesting class.
    Not sure I'd want to put heavier components on the front end. With 7" tires, I'd want every bit of weight in the rear.
    Maybe the wagon is the way to go. Otherwise, I'd have to say an early Chevy II might work, or dare I say, a 67 Cam----?
    Wide open engine rules make it very expensive if you want to win. But if you do, you'll just get yourself a restrictor plate.
    If I lived in that part of the country, I'd probably want to build one, but I'd have to see some restriction, like in the old NHRA C/SM class.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

You can run that 67 Camaro as long as it has a 67 vin number. My thought is a 67 Firebird would be better because of the weight break for the big block. It would be fun to see some Z28's running.
    Maybe a 396-375 ? 3366 lbs with a stock bore. That's lighter than my 69 SS was when I bought it.

17. Pontiac would have too much torque with 7 " tires and a stick.
    It does seem like a good place for a Z type combo..Stock manifold , bunch of head work , even more compression.
    10.0 car , if you could get it to the ground. Low on torque, high on RPM's
    We figure a tenth loss per 100# in the quarter. What would it be in the 1/8 th ? 6 hun? I think I'd take that , for good slapper bars on a Camaro.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. What's better than a sweet ass gasser that you can haul all of your buddies in?? I love wagons, i love gassers, can't wait to see this one done :D

scotty t, Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  19. This is one I'll be watching for sure - with close attention to the exterior scheme. Wagons on the track are also great at launching, it seems. Just this weekend, I was drawn into the SEG S/S rules. The '57 doesn't meet the Gas class. But the '66 Cutlass shop decoration just might go racing again! No expectation of winning, looking to have fun.

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

The Cutlass with a built 400 Olds would probably work well in the class. Good rear suspension, Air lift bags in the rear coils. come 90/10' up front. As a former Chevelle racer I looked at all options. I have too many Ford parts now to switch.
    I am not that brand loyal, but winning or economics can make you loyal to any brand. If I had a bunch of AMC parts I would have built a Rambler.

TBirdGirl26, scott27, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  21. southcross2631

southcross2631

Picked up my motor parts from the machine shop after he balanced it. Should be a sweet little motor 12.5 to 1 333 , 65 289 block . My Milodon oil pan and my gaskets should be here tomorrow.
    Waiting for it to get out of the 30's so I can pressure wash the car and get ready to pull the 6 cylinder out.
    Then I can tear the front end down and get it built.
    The wife's washing machine quit today so I have to buy her a new one tomorrow. At least it doesn't have to come out of my race car money.

22. Just watching the videos from last season. Any idea what that Comet h.t. runs in the 1/8th? Or the usual eliminator winning ET?

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Ordered my floor pans last night . Going to get my 65 Econoline seats today. Found a set in a van that a guy was using for storage. Also seeing if it warms up enough for the junk yard guy to cut the rear end out of the 57 Ford wagon I found.
    slowly but surely I am getting all of my parts. Trying to be ready to race by June.

25. khead47

khead47

A 352 FE is lighter than a
    Windsor ????

26. tpw35

tpw35

I think what hes is saying is the windsor is a small block so the car would have to weigh 9.5 lbs/c.i.
    The FE is a big block and they get a weight break so the car could weigh 8.25 lbs/c.i.

27. pmdguy

pmdguy

Love them wagons!!

28. southcross2631

southcross2631

That's exactly what I am saying . Supposed I built a 400 inch Windsor 400 x 9.5 is 3800 lbs.
    400 inch FE 400 x 8.25 is 3300 lbs. See where the big block and small block is a huge difference.
    Add 100 lbs. for aluminum heads. It gets even more porky.
    That's why I am thinking a small cube FE like the NHRA legal 352 was, except with good rods and a set of Edelbrock heads and good aluminum dual plane 2x4 intake with 2 660 Holley's. Do you see where the big block advantage could be very effective ?
    If I build the car with the FE swap in mind down the road then when the time comes it won't take that long to make it happen.

29. You are off to a good start, I'm subscribed...

30. southcross2631

southcross2631

Man, the hamb is some good folks. I had 2 people let me know a fellow hamb'er had the brake parts I needed in the classifieds and when I contacted him he also had all of the V8 steering linkage I had been trying to find. Sent him a money order out this morning.
    The rain finally stopped in Tn. long enough for me to go to the junkyard and buy the rear end I needed. The guy will have it cut out for me by Monday morning. There was a 2 inch deep creek running under the car and I wasn't going to try and lay in that to save a few bucks.

TBirdGirl26, scott27, Thor1 and 11 others like this.