Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 368 Y..take the plunge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 68shortwide, Nov 4, 2019.

1. 68shortwide

68shortwide

In the process of planning out a build, 32-40 Sedan. Wanting to keep it traditional, so something like flathead or a Y, hell maybe even a nailhead. My dad has a '56 Capri with its original 368ci, but awhile back he mentioned selling it and swapping something newer and easier to build. I've seen a lot of good and a lot of bad, what's the general consensus on a 368 build? I've seen bad such as oiling issues in the upper end, or there lack of, expense of vintage speed parts and hard to find or nonexistent transmission adapters to run a more modern 5spd. The good is the pure scarcity and oddity of a Lincoln Y, the fact that I would have everything from the car needed for it, and the power that they made stock was pretty great. This would be taken all the way down and rebuilt, would want to find a 2x4 or 3x2 intake for it. So...after all that rambling..Flathead..368..Ford Y..or Nail?

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  2. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/a-r...3-hp-at-2015-amsoil-engine-masters-challenge/
    http://www.2040-parts.com/1956-1957-lincoln-mercury-m335-m-335-2x4-dual-quad-intake-manifold-i23098/
    stuff aint cheap
    they look cool, I have only messed with the industrial ones
    might have some rams horn manifolds hid somewhere for the 368 from a school bus

could have some intake flanges cut out and build your own intake kinda like this one
    intake.jpg
    here is some trans info
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/368-lincoln-y-block-transmission-upgrade.216778
    https://www.google.com/search?q=368...egQIBBAN&biw=1280&bih=561&safe=active&ssui=on

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    alanp561 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. belair

belair

4. prez

prez

Cool engine but luck finding
    a camshaft

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I like the Ford Y block. The 312 makes 245 horsepower in stock form with one four barrel. , with awesome torque. Many new speed parts are now made for it. Look cool sounds even better! The Y block 312 gets my vote!

Bones

alanp561, Finn Jensen and dana barlow like this.
  6. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Royce and others into Lincoln y’s are active on the yblocksforever site. Go over there and ask. Not many involved with those.

7. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

From what i have learn, fe bellhousing is allmost Bolt in.
    You can fit sbc intake with thick adapter plates.
    But i can tell, it got plenty of ponies and grunt on stock form.well, in stock i ment 300 hp version. Thats what i got on My turnpike cruiser.it is a 56 Continental mk2 engine.

alanp561 likes this.
  8. Don't forget to contact HAMB'r McTim64 on any and all Y block engine building issues. He builds plenty of those, year round. Land speed racing Y blocks is his thing.

32Dan, 5window and loudbang like this.
  9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I wouldn't say a FE bellhousing is almost a bolt on. But I and others have done it without outside help. I used a blowshield. but I have seen OEM bells modified to work. I think using a 383 MoPar intake is the place to start. Cut off the flanges and make and weld on ones that work. I used SBC injection. Had to stretch. PM for more info if you want, 999.JPG DSCN0117.JPG 999.JPG it 1/2 inch

alanp561, vtx1800, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

dare to be different - be sure to take advantage of those that have history with building them before committing - have fun -

loudbang likes this.
  11. Weiand and Offy both made 3 deuce intakes for them, Offy is repopping a lot of their stuff.
    You can get the original cam reground but you may also find a cam shaft from isky or erson if you call them on the phone.
    Rich can tell you what valves will adapt easily. The top end oiling is not a problem if the oil lines are clean.
    I am not sure what tranny adapter you need but they can be had or probably a Y block bell will work and while I have never tried to adapt a 5 speed to one I know you can find a good 3 gear that will work and maybe even a 4 gear.

That said there are a myriad of odd ball "traditional" motors if you want one. Tall deck MOPARS came in 383 and 413, Pacard v8s were also used and by '56 the SBC was also becoming very popular. Why limit yourself if you want to play the trad card.

I would run the Y block in a heart beat though if I had it.

alanp561 and dana barlow like this.
  12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

And I had no trouble getting a Isky 505 for my 368

alanp561 likes this.
  13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

upload_2019-11-5_9-48-11.jpeg This shows how far you need to slot the bolt holes on an FE bell housing to fit it to a Lincoln. Then any trans that fits a 390 fits your 368. Top loader three and four speeds. Four speed OD trans. C6. A Ford Y block bell will not work. They come with adjustable rockers. I am not sure that the Lincoln ever had the same oiling issues as the Ford. I got a new Melling oil pump from Rock Auto. Just didn't have a big deal finding parts. I have been told that an FE flywheel won't work. I bought a flywheel that was supposed to be fir a FE and it worked. Used the later FE starter. I don't know what else to tell you. Go for it.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heavy but I'd use it. Check with the adapter companies for transmissions. A bigger cam can be made from a stock one by regrinding with a smaller base circle.. Smaller outfits will do it. I'd contact Elgin in Central Calif Coast.
    Not sure but the 57 Merc dual quad manifold should fit. Upper oiling is BS as there are remedies for the standard Y-Blocks there are for these too. It will be costly but so is everything but a SBC. Do It.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Go for it! Let the rubes put SBC's and LS motors in their stuff. Dare to be different!

In stock form, the 368 is good for 280 to 335 Hp depending on configuration, along with 400+ ft-lbs of torque, more than enough to get a pre-war Ford Hot Rod into a few pucker inducing situations. Get the cam reground, bump the compression and a little work to get proper intake and exhaust flow, and you will have a very fun ride. Plus, you'll have one of the best looking factory motors around.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  16. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

Just a little hint:You can use ford 5000 tractor water pump repair kit in lincoln y-block pumps.
    Just have to lenghten axle a bit by welding and machining but otherwise it fits perfect, water seal and all bearings are same diameter.

17. 68shortwide

68shortwide

Thank you all for the replies and advice. After some thought and weighing everything offered I think I'm going to go ahead and build the 368. As much as I love some of the intakes and carb setups for the sbc and nailhead that aren't offered in the Linc Ys I still think it'd be a great opportunity for a unique centerpiece to a build that I can't wait to start on. Already looking forward to pulling it and getting it torn down. With the different intake port design, do they still sound like a conventional Y block? I feel this may be a dumb question, but it's been a few years since I've heard this thing through it's stock pipes and I don't honestly remember. Haha.

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sweet. Glad your doing something a bit different .:):cool:

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

Well, its long time i last hear ford y-block in action.But linc engine do have same firing order, so i think they do make same sound.
    Another hint: dont order catalog listed spark plug wire set, they are too short to route wia original wire holders.
    What i done, after realise that thing, is order set for mopar bb 440 set.
    That was street fire set and i do have to drill those wire holders bit larger but wires lenght was long enough to make nice fitment.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

21. v8flat44

v8flat44

Dare to be different.......stop think'n, use the Lincoln.
    Sounds like a neat project. Enjoy!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. Rand Man

Rand Man

I am also saying back to the top on this one. I’ve got my eye on a 53 Lincoln. That 317 really fills the engine bay. I have thought these engines were cool for a long time.

23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They were seldom used in hot rods back in the day because they were rare, heavy, not the biggest in displacement or horsepower, and hard to build. But I can see the attraction if you get one for free. The Lincoln motor came with hydraulic lifters but they made the same engine for Ford heavy trucks that used a solid lifter cam and adjustable rockers, this setup fits the Lincoln block.

24. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

CORRECTION : Rusty O'Toole : Just like the smaller 239-312 Ford/Mercury "Y-Block" engines, The Lincoln/Truck "Y-Block" engines, ALL CAME WITH ADJUSTABLE ROCKERS.

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

And it seemed to me that lifters from a FE or 302 or 385 or even a 2.6 V6 all fit, I had no trouble getting what I needed for my 368. If you idea of getting parts only includes the Summit catalog then it's harder.

26. rodthrutheblock

rodthrutheblock

In the early stages of fitting a 317 in my 31 Deluxe Roadster here in the UK. One question, the 368 rams horn manifolds exit over the motor mounts. Is the 368 motor mounted differently or can I not use them on the 317 or do I have to fabricate headers to miss the factory 317 mounts?

27. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

The commercial trucks did not use the same mounts as the passenger cars : you will need to fabricate a small block Chevrolet-style front mount plate to get the clearance for the commercial ram horn exhaust manifolds. It's not really that hard : look at how the SBC motor is mounted in an American style sprint car for ideas.

rodthrutheblock likes this.