Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hunt " Mag Look" Distributor for Flathead issue?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Eric Satterfield, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Is anyone else out there using one of these?...I am putting my engine back together and I noticed that it does not appear to seat properly in the cover. I do not recall any type of spacer on it etc?....If the motor is turned over the rotor does turn..Thank you

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Does it have the shaft stick out farther than the gear? That is Merc style, and Ford style doesn't have the shaft stick farther than the gear. If it's does, maybe the short shaft isn't fitting all the way into its support boss at the bottom of the cover. Wiggle it around as you lower it in.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If possible pull that distributor out and p[ost a photo of the gear drive portion.
    The cover should match the distributor drive shaft.

bchctybob and stillrunners like this.
  4. J2X

J2X

When I went to install my "Mag Look" distributor it would not go all the way in - I called Joe Hunt and after a goodly wait I was told to cut off a piece of the bottom of the shaft enough so that it would seat - I did and it did

Desoto291Hemi likes this.

5. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

The problem seems to be the welded portion on the housing (sweep for lack of a proper term?) the part the hold down clamps to is all the way down against the head. Not allowing it to go any deeper into the cover. There is some wobble also I’m certain it came to me this way. When I tore this motor down I was so concerned about the internals. I failed to notice it. Appears that the shaft is about 3/16 too long. But still would have head interference

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    bchctybob, loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  6. What do you think ?
    Trim the edge of the head a little,,,,I’m not sure .
    That is welded on to clamp the distributor with the stock type clamp.
    Or,,,,relieve the part that is welded on the distributor ?

Tommy

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been on these forums for a long time and I have never heard anything good about these. Good luck.

8. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I’m thinking cut 3/16 off the shaft. And then relieve the distributor. I didn’t buy the distributor it was in the car when I bought it. As crazy as I am. I wouldn’t have dropped $ 600 on it. I think I might be safer grinding on it than the head. For what I have here to work with. There is no way in this world it was seated to begin with. I just thought maybe others had ran into the problem with this product. Thanks !

9. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

The shaft is obviously too long also. Here it is away from the adjustment point

Attached Files:

10. I agree,,,,shorten the shaft some.
    Then you can gently trim the edge a little so it will clear.
    Just make sure that it has at least a little clearance so it isn’t in a bind anywhere.

Tommy

11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Is it to long or too large ? I would accurately measure everything possible and compare it to OEM , if it’s the shaft , I think I would machine a spacer to fill in the gap . The distributer doesn’t know front or rear I would shave off the block that has been welded on or install it with the block no where near your intake .

12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You could save yourself a LOT of aggravation and just throw that thing in the dumpster now,

when it takes a shit in a couple hundred miles just by pass the internal coil and put an external one in

X38 and Tim like this.
  13. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

IMG_20200120_081338.jpg IMG_20200120_080728.jpg I think it is correct the way it is. I looked at my brothers and it pretty much is the same as what you have. When you take it off the seat it drops down about another .060? What I have does. I have extra front Merc covers and when I put it in, then the gear sits very close to center with the cam gear. If down all the way to were the gear touches the cover, its way off center.

bchctybob, Bandit Billy and mctim64 like this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, gotta have the gear centered on the cam's gear, or it will wear funny. Pull the cover off and check. Or find a local with an extra front cover and test fit it.

bchctybob likes this.
  15. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Thank you for the information...No one in this area has a flathead that I know of...I have everything sealed up on the engine...If the product is garbage and probably going to fail on me..I'm considering a Mallory Unilite.?..I assume Flatrodl7 's photo illustrates that it is Not suppose to seat any deeper than his photo shown which is about where mine currently is?

16. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

How 'bout a machined collar spacer...?

17. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Ahhhhhh, real knowledge......

18. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most aftermarket 8BA distributors "step" machine the housing (like the stock iron distributor below) for covers B, C and D but include an extended shaft (like the stock alloy one below) to properly fit only cover A. Can't be certain what you have from the pictures, but if alloy cover A, don't shorten the shaft. If alloy cover B or iron C and D, the shaft has to be shortened.
    The hold down pad looks like it is mounted too low, not allowing the distributor to seat properly.

upload_2020-1-20_13-49-48.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  19. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like the OP has an iron cover. There were some of those made with the shaft boss at the bottom weren't there? Show us a pic of the bottom of the bulge on your iron cover Eric.

And, before replacing the current distributor with a Mallory, I'd suggest doing some research. I've read plenty about people having difficulties with their new Mallory distributors on the flatheads. Seems they are all curved just fine for small block Chevys, but not so much for flathead Fords.

20. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know of any covers that have the lower support other than the alloy A cover, but it's possible.
    The Mallory advance curve is fully adjustable with their spring/cam kits, depending on the type of advance. A good adjustable timing light is all that's needed.

21. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Other than the oil pressure issue. It was running ok with the Hunt setup that was in it. Maybe I should just run it. Until it gives me trouble?? There are other things the car could use with the $400 for a new distributor. Thanks.

Attached Files:

22. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, no boss in that cover for the extended shaft. Either get the proper cover, or cut the shaft off.

23. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definitely an iron cover with no lower support. The shaft should be shortened if you use that distributor.

24. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Cut it flush with the bottom of the gear?

25. J2X

J2X

Again, I suggest that you simply call Joe Hunt and hold on till they answer and then describe your situation.

26. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

If its been running that way , I would probably leave it alone. You could pop the dist out and look at the wear pattern on the teeth to decide to shorten it or not. Also if to long and hitting the cover you will see wear on the end as well. I'll have to dig out a cover like yours and see how the Hunt fits it.

bchctybob likes this.
  27. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Looking again at the distance from the gear to the end, it appears to me yours has been shorten a bit already. Again look for signs of it touching the cover, if none, I would say you are good to go. As for the reliability of them, they have pertonics units in them. Some don't like them and have issues, and some don't.

bchctybob likes this.
  28. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Possibly too late?? I cut the shaft off and relieved the mounting tab. Perhaps I should order the Mallory?

Attached Files:

29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Can you reinstall the stock distributor and carefully measure the distance between the
    block surface and the top of the OEM distributor hold down when installed? You want the
    distributor gear to mesh properly with the cam distributor gear. I believe proper mesh
    occurs at the pitch dia. of the 2 gears. For that reason you don't want the distributor to drop"all the way down"
    and "bottom out"..
    Hence, a spacer is needed. Here's an example using a Mallory Unilite with early style flat head heads
    instead of the stock 53 Merc heads. The early heads do not provide a hold down for the 8BA style distributor.

Attached Files:

30. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Probably not returnable since you already cut the shaft. Best bet is to hang in there and
    make it fit properly. Is there a customer service number you could call? You are not the first one to do this installation so the answer is available from the company or other folks who have done this.