Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Barrett Jackson Prices Seem Low

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yea, two different type cars. I would'nt give the red one a second look but that's just me. I'm more original/traditional interested......I sold this last year.. IMG_2793.JPG

2. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Maybe I missed them but I didn't see any baby Thunderbirds from that one restoration guy.

4. RRanchero Rick

RRanchero Rick

Make up for it with volume tho.

5. fuzzface

fuzzface

Thunderbird guy was Minter. I didn't see any either.

Different players, every few years you see new faces. like the bar owner said once to me, every 5 years you tend to see different faces. some die off, some just disappear and others enter the picture.

you don't see the big corvette dealer the last few years either or Ron Pratte that was a big major buyer for a few years and then just like that sold off his collection and haven't been seen since.

6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

You would think you couldn’t enter or sign any legal documents though. Just a opinion. I can imagine sobering up and finding some butt ugly billet laden LS powered candy painted street rod in my garage, not to mention divorce papers.........

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Really? Why? I would think potential buyers have a responsibility to moderate their own behavior. If they do not, let them live with the consequences of their choices.

Ray

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I, and a few friends, have been through that dance with the Illinois Department of Revenue a few times and won the argument every time. Did it with ‘proof’, i.e., photos and documents.
    If you are telling the truth about purchase price, you can prevail. If you lied, well, don’t whine if you are caught.

The exception is if you got an unrealistic ‘sweetheart’ deal and only paid a fraction of the actual market value.

Ray

9. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I quite agree with you on that, it’s just a quiet observation here, in California you can’t sign any legal docs under the influence, but then again, I’m not a lawyer so my post is probably BS anyway. I do find my self watching those auctions occasionally and find it interesting to a degree. Cheers, NC

10. Yep, Personal Choice/ Personal Responsibility! Or....You Grew It, You Chew It!

jim snow and nochop like this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It’s always the ‘other guy’ who is perceived to be making all the money. It all seems so simple, put on an auction and rake in the money. What an observer sees on the surface is only a fraction of what goes on behind the scenes. There are many months of preparation for each of the auction events, thousands of man hours and investment in advertising and promotion. Then there is cost of the venue and a string of other overhead expense as far as the eye can see. Do they make any money? They must or the show wouldn’t go on. But I submit it is far less than the inexperienced observer imagines. Try walking a mile in their moccasins.

By the way, I seldom watch these events on TV or attend them, so I have no vested interest in them. My comments are intended to add a little perspective to opinions aimed at ‘easy targets’!

Ray

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I wonder if the commercials help offset production costs

13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I like that Quote, gonna steal it

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  14. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I’m stunned by the amount of people who think they should be able to get all their money back out of a car they build or have built , it’s never been that way.. not even when labor was cheap

The only way that has ever happened is if your a hobbiest and you do nice work ,BUT if you factor your time you pay yourself a dollar an hour or something equally ridiculous

Special Ed likes this.
  15. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I have it on in the background for lack of anything else being on tv. The prices don’t make sense to me, a lot of decent looking cars seem to go very cheap. Then I watched a first gen Bronco go for $100K. What am I missing? It seems like the ‘60’s muscle car market is still pretty strong.

Not that it matters anyway, I’m not buying or selling...

16. fuzzface

fuzzface

"What am I missing?"

I am guessing but I think it has to do with these car building shows. the last year or 2 almost each one built either a early bronco or a chevy c10-k10. those shows do influence some people.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say he has the best attitude of the bunch. Watch it just the same way you would walk though a car show and don't get hung up on what the BS artist talking head commentators say or the prices unless you are shopping for a car.
    We have had some snow on the ground all week and I was a bit under the weather for a couple of days so I probably watched far more hours of it than I would have if it had been nicer outside.
    Prices on the glass 32 Fords match what I have seen similar cars advertised for in the PNW and actually less than some that have been for sale for a long time. I'd say some guys got a can't build it for that car at a right price to go have fun with.
    A lot of the rods and customs that didn't bring what you thought they would were obviously dated by the paint, interior material or wheel and tire choice and lost in that If I can buy it cheap enough I can redo it the way I want mode. Think hot lick front row at Goodguys 15 years ago but last year they hid out by the outhouse in the back.

Still it isn't worth pissing and moaning about and that just enjoying looking at cool cars is what it should be about.

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I am sure that it takes an army of employees and the rent on the facility is quite high not to mention the advertising and preparation for the event is expensive. with that said there were 131,600,000.00 in sales last year and with the buy and sell fees being something like 10 percent on each end then BJ made 26 million dollars just from that, then there is the television commercials and the listing fees for each car and the admission price for the walk ins and the bidder registrations.... I think the auction companies are probably doing ok

19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Why worry what things at BJ are going for? Shouldn't we be more concerned about what reality is on the street?

20. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Something I read on here a long time ago-

"money doesn't come with instructions"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

And how do you prove that you were under the influence when you signed the documents?

22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Probably got to sign a document......lol

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  23. Blue-Collar-HotRods

Blue-Collar-HotRods

The BJ prices DO effect the street prices. In a very negative way!

24. Here is the part of the sticker lady the camera guy seems to always miss
    3679D70A-CAEB-4436-A2D1-A10A20C995B5.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    jim snow and Flathead Dave like this.
  25. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Everyone is against big money for parts until they are selling theirs.

j3harleys, Hnstray and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  26. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

^^^^^THAT’S the best reason to watch. Every time she bends over the windshield I , I , , well you know.

seb fontana and Flathead Dave like this.
  27. spanners

spanners

Don't forget, It's probably any easy way to 'launder' some ill gotten gains by buying something and paying too much.

28. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Only for the stupid.

INVISIBLEKID and nochop like this.
  29. 327Eric

327Eric

Lots of players in the auction scene. The economy is good so investors are playing the market. When there is doubt, people park their money in cars, and other tangible assets. I dont know the profit/loss write off scenario, but they do. I was around some small players, finding and hauling auction cars, parts etc. I have picked up and dropped off some nice cars to some very shady characters in some very nice neighborhoods, and seen enough to not want to be there again . Money laundering is a part of it.Prices adjust with the economy trends, when the dollar is low, cars go overseas, when it is high, they come back.I do not believe the interest is gone. Somehow, I just don't think I will ever see a 33 Ford, a Duesenberg, or 64 Polara 426 in my price range.

tractorguy likes this.
  30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He was mentioned when the “F” 57 went thru at way under 100K. Minter would have been twice that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.