Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing rear reversed eye spring on A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Axel de Groot, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Hey guys! Im a rookie when it comes to both H.A.M.B. and hot rods, so bear with me.

There might be a thread on this, perhaps there are plenty of them but i am to stupid (or lazy) to find the right information im looking for.

Im in the making of turning my A coupe to an av8 coupe, wich means i am going to replace the stock a axle with and 39 rear axle that has the ”weld on top spring hangers”
    The problem is my A spring has reversed eyes, i have seen the spring spreaders but those i have seen have all been designed for a stock spring with the eyes in its stock place. I have removed the rear spring once, (to reverse the eye lol) and i nearly shit myself.

How do i get the reversed eye spring of without having to change my underwear after? Any tips are welcome.
    Pictures are even better since im swedish and might not get what you cowboys say!

Cheers
    Axel

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use a large C clamp on each side of the center bolt on my reversed A spring. The center bolt is then replaced with grade 8 threaded rod and nuts, and the clamps are slowly relaxed and leaves removed. Having someone push on the main leave with one eye blocked should allow that shackle to be removed. Just reverse the order to assemble the spring.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

5. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

If you have access, loop a chain around your torque tube just ahead of the rear axle. Put a healthy 2 X 4 or better 6 , over the crossmember and into the loop. With suitable thickness piece of wood between one spring eye and the outer axle tube, smeared with grease, apply pressure to the lever arm to remove shackle pin without pressure on it and then ease up.

Axel de Groot likes this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

i do it like v8 bob, i'll say more, when you have the spring disassembled down to just the main leaf, i put a 2x4 block between the axle tube and the shackle, that way the shackle stays horizontal and you can push down on the main spring until the pins are loose enough to disassemble.

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

If you have access to a spring spreader you can take 2 pieces of 1&1/2" angle iron and two pieces of flat steel about 3" long and put a 3/8" hole on each end and clamp them to each end of the spring. Place the angle iron piece facing down for the spreader to go up against. As others have suggested you can take the spring apart also.

8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do mine like V8 bob. Secured with G clamps remove centre eye bolt carefully then put a long bit of all thread through the hole and slowly release the package . Then the shackles should have very little pressure on them.

9. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Thank you guys for all good answers and tips! I think i try with some c clamps around the spring!

If any more tips or pictures, shoot!!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Why do I always agree with V-8 Bob ?

Axel de Groot, RICH B and V8 Bob like this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

Why is he covering his eye? I'd think it would be easier if he used both eyes to see what he was doing.

guitarguy and Axel de Groot like this.
  12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be a spring eye. ;) Rusty valley stated it better. :)

seabeecmc likes this.
  13. I built this, it works great, with a close up of the revers able end piece for reversed or stock eyes. IMG_0282.JPG IMG_0281.JPG

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Trace Tyler and alanp561 like this.