Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What do dislike about our hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whiskeyding, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Andy, your opinion is as legitimate as anyone here, they many not agree but that's not the issue. HRP

2. Mo rust

Mo rust

The thing that aggravates me is the guys who practically bully people who like Chevrolet motors in there old Fords. That group seems to think that there’s a “follow the herd” doctrine and they have been appointed the enforcers of even though most of them don’t have a running car or weren’t born yet when I helped my father put a Chevy motor in his street rod.
    That’s another one. Who declared that the phrase street rod was derogatory. I build my own cars and never trailer them to events although they have frequently been dragged one home on a trailer. I love the hobby and I’m not going to let these yahoos spoil it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

MO_JUNK, Gasser 57, Dooley and 8 others like this.
  3. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

people who insist I should be painting my cars because originality means I have no money or skills to paint them :D

nochop and anthony myrick like this.
  4. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

being 6 months into a build that I knew would only take 6 months to complete and basically no money..right..swear it wont happen again..do it again :D

nochop likes this.
  5. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Fat old clowns that come out to a car show and tell you what's wrong, illegal, or how you should have done something on your car differently and then see them leaving at the end of the day in a beat up rusty 1990s minivan.

nochop, 61Cruiser, Just Gary and 8 others like this.
  6. AGELE55

AGELE55

7. Dennis D

Dennis D

At least you didn't glue your lips together with super glue. D

Blue One and ct1932ford like this.
  8. Thank you Danny, I really appreciate that.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nochop likes this.
  9. Dislikes?

"those are the wrong year hubcaps"
    I then tell them their shoes are on wrong, that they laced them different in the factory photos in the ads.

"Why didn't you just buy xxxx" (fad of the week)

People who BUY their way in, then act like they actually build things, thinking they will get credit for their "talent"

"I am a great engine builder. buy this buy that buy this buy that" - voila!
    instant store bought talent.

Those tv "car shows" that say being a true "car guy" comes from using your plastic cards to buy from the right sponsors, then someone will build your "rod" in a few days, and you'll magically become the real thing, with the right to criticize and feel superior to those with dirty fingernails and scuffs in the paint.
    Dislikes?
    At a "car show" seeing late model Toyotas, PT Cruisers, and telling you its important because there were only 57gazillion made with this exact paint code, with this particular seat belt color..rare... barf.

"...you wanna know what I think?... " often comes after they convince you that you DON'T want to know.

DISLIKE -
    mentally reviewing your FULLY completed engine swap, and not being able to recall taking the steps to torque the flywheel...
    TAKE EVERYTHING APART TO BE SAFE, then discovering the flywheel had NOT been torqued.
    Then put it alllll back together and back in the car AGAIN. I am thankful I did the work and fixed it, but I hated every minute :)

Spending a lot of work and donating supplies to help a friend fix up his crunched 71 RS Camaro , then watching him pull in the driveway a couple days later with a smashed door...

dislike -
    driving a newly built car on a long trip, then a fuel pump 5 HOURS OLD gives up the ghost in the mountains by Chattanooga Tennessee in the middle of the night. Cutting up the pump, running the fuel lines up thru the shifter boot and having your traveling friend manually pump the fuel pump for several hours until the sun comes up and Florida parts stores open up...
    I'll quit talking :)
    too many to tell in one sitting....

WAIT ONE MINUTE!
    THESE ARENT COMPLAINTS!

THESE ARE ADVENTURE STORIES!

What's not to like about having a great time?

I have no complaints :)

I have had lots of adventures tho...

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Just Gary, nochop, 61Cruiser and 6 others like this.
  10. raymay

raymay

Just reading your post, I could almost smell the gear oil. We once carried a rear end in a motorhome to Carlisle. Yup, it leaked on the carpet and even after cleaning the smell was there forever. My buddy has an HHR delivery with plastic flooring. Got some oil in that vehicle a couple years ago and you can still smell it. Last week I carried a tractor auger to Florida in a pickup with a bed liner. Some gear oil leaked out and the smell is still there. If it was better smelling it probably would make a long lasting manly aftershave.

11. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dislike? Hobby? That’s an oxymoron.

Find another hobby, or thicken-up yer skin.

Ignore the BS and keep having fun!

whiteknuckle, nochop, LAROKE and 2 others like this.
  12. I've never had any trouble with the know-it-alls, so-called experts, check book rodders, hotrod restorers, or the general under-educated types that cross my path. I just look 'em square in the eye and tell them to "Fuck Off". Conversation stops, and they always look better walking away. I just rinse and repeat as needed.

Shutter Speed likes this.
  13. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

How about when your selling things at a swap meet and a guy approaches your table and you simply ask him how it's going and they spend the next twenty minutes blocking the things your selling and telling you their life story. I usually get three or four of these guys every time I'm selling and came to the conclusion they are a lot of lonely people in the world or they are just in love with the sound of their own voice.

woodsnwater, weps, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  14. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

When someone says "dizzy" when they mean distributor. I don't know why it bothers me but it does.

The bastardization of the RR word. Most of us know what a RR is but I hate it how so many non-hot rod people call anything that isn't a friggin' show car, a RR. I've heard people call a high quality build high boy a RR just because it has black paint. They have no idea how much of an insult that term is to someone with a nice car, thinking it is a compliment.

How TV screwed things up for us hot rod guys. How all the stupid drama shows gave access to our hobby to millions of non-car guys that now think they know all about it. It also exposed it to politicians and "do gooders" that want to control us.

The biggest one for me is the slow death of the hobby. Makes me more sad than anything to see my hot rod heroes dying off and long time established businesses shutting down.

warbird1, nochop, trollst and 2 others like this.
  15. That one grates on me also, Henry Gregor Felsen wrote Street Rod in 1953, I would think the term is as traditional as bias ply tires. HRP

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    In all of the years my brother and I have been involved in hot rods and cruisers, the scene definitely has changed. For the better in some ways and worse in others. The development of technology has always been on the forefront of any hobby or activity. Without early hot rod guys/girls doing their thing and trying to make more power or look good doing it, we would not have our own history.

But, labels as they are, pop up to generalized a certain time period of development. When the current crop of hot rod people talk about the 60’s style, that is too generalized. The 50’s and 60’s have to be separated and within each era, several other separations should be included as the 10 year span continued.

In the early 1960-64, hot rods and drag racing were still developing their own styles and pretty much stayed true to the mode of fast race cars and fast street legal cars that most drove to the dragstrip. When the 1965-69 era came and went, those early forms were changed over, in the national events and scenes. But, in the local builds and flashy accessories to make street legal cars look like race cars. So, when someone calls it a 60s style, there actually needs to be a specific time period, because the early 60-64 was nothing like 65-69 era.

Jnaki

Some people would even separate the two general divisions into a third. 1960-63, 1964-66, and finally 67-69 time line eras of change in hot rods and drag racing. I certainly would not call the “up in the air” styling a bookmark for the 60’s as it was only in the late 60s. That in itself needs definite clarity. In the drag racing world, the early stock cars were nothing like the late 64-67 factory race cars that took over. Even in the Gas Coupe and other street legal classes saw changes that limited participation, from 65 onward to 69.

So, there definitely needs to be clarification in anyone’s recollection of the 1960-69 time period. One description of a hot rod in 1969 does not glamorize what took place in 1960 and should not be labeled as the 60’s style for all cars as most imply. Being specific for the exact time period in the developing 1960s is important. The styles and cars all changed within the activity of hot rod building and definitely in drag racing from 1960 vs. 1969.

warbird1 and 47ragtop like this.
  17. My coupe has been called a RR at a few shows. I simply ask the person ( who is usually a spectator ) where do you see a RR? They usually walk away.:D

18. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Only Complaint I Have About This Hobby Is That There Is Not Enough Time In Each Day To 79666430_2454334098169970_691687191482466304_n.jpg Enjoy It More..IMO..

MO_JUNK, LAROKE, Just Gary and 4 others like this.
  19. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

Not having the money to buy everything you need at one time but it's fun to hunt down that part you need.

47ragtop likes this.
  20. speedshifter

speedshifter

The jealousy that exists between some rodders. Seems to be more common with the younger enthusiasts. Greg

21. sunbeam

sunbeam

The people that say I built this car and if you ask they did not do any fab work.

22. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I was a vendor at car shows for 18 years.. There are many lonesome people in the world. Here are a couple of my favorites. You develop a product use it for years and three guys walk up to your table and commence to tell you how to use it. They always travel in threes. My other favorite was how does it compare to 19 different products and he goes down the list. But the biggest thing that hurts is watching what was a great hobby turning to an industry where the greed factor plays a large part. Another thing that I noticed over the years that large majorities vendors couldn't change a tire let alone build a car I'm growing old and sentimental for the good old days

23. 34Larry

34Larry

Hate very little about the hobby. What I of make it...……..is what I make of it in my own mind, which I can and need to control try not to hate anything. Admittedly I got ta work at that constantly.
    I do have aspects I hate connected to this though.
    #1) Hate that I let my '57 Chev 210 HT, '56 Chev 210 post, 35 Plymouth coupe, '63 SS Impala 409, ' 48 Buick Sedanette fast back, and '66 Riviera GS 425 factory dual carb ever get away.
    #2) That my age has brought with it health issues that are preventing me from doing what my mind wants to and needs to do. Things like going through my HEMI top to bottom and of course a hundred other "things" that I use to do and am prevented from getting completed now.
    But I do at long last have MY always wanted 34 Ford Hi-boy coupe and I do Love very much how the build turned out.
    OH...…….I'll be 81 this coming April.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  24. "Not A DAMN thing. I love my hobbies.

nochop and chop job like this.
  25. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Concentrate on what you like, not dislike. If you can't then find another hobby maybe. Lippy

1959Nomad, LOU WELLS and dirt t like this.
  26. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I hate the stupid threads here on the hamb.. What color should I paint my car, does my rear end look big in this dress, I can't do a thing with my engine, all my accessories are so expensive... Come on man, this is a hot rod place,, talk like hot rodders, not face bookers... These are a few things I hate about the hamb, however there are some really really good hot rod threads so I think I'll put up with the face book ones......

dirt t and Just Gary like this.
  27. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

But I Drive on the right side. It’s hard to hang my left arm out and gets really scary turning a corner

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Barn Hunter likes this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hoarders. Especially those who's collections end up going to the scrapper when they die.

People who deny history, even after generous proof has been issued.

People who deny, downplay, or mis-attribute the contribution that minority groups have made to our hobby.

People who tell me how I should build my cars and trucks.

29. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Hobbie? To most of us it’s a lifestyle, love every minute, except the waiting

LOU WELLS likes this.
  30. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Hobby. :D Is living the lifestyle every day when you get up in the morning and go to work all day working on Hotrods, then come home and work on more Hotrods then go in the house and get on here till ten? If so then I guess I'm living the lifestyle. Lippy

Chili Phil and nochop like this.