Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The $75 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thepartsbinguy1, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Too me that is great fun to hear a old setting engine come alive for the first time in years. I always start them with a gravety feed gas tank that I put 1/2 pint of outboard engine oil to each gallon of gas. Kinda gives it a bit of top end lube. I once started up a old pilot house dodge bob truck that hadn't moved in 35 years. Had to cut trees that had grew up thru the frame behind the cab. And I drove it home. no brakes , no insurance nothing but a emergency brake and a 5 gal can of gas. took the gravel back roads 25 miles to home. Bouncy ride with those flat spotted 8.25x 20 tires.

2. Mimilan

Mimilan

Intake or Exhaust [spark plug] Heat Sheld??

The intake manifold heat shield has been around since day 1

The exhaust [Spark plug] heat shields have been fitted since 1957 when Chevrolet started using centre dump rams horn manifolds.
    Because the 57 283 and 265 [#3731548] didn't have side mounts, they also fitted "banana shields"

1957 Chevy 283...PNG
    Sparkplug wire routing.gif

winduptoy and Thepartsbinguy1 like this.
  3. That was the common thing. You added bigger cam and carb to your 283. Usually a carter AFb on a 300 Hp 327 cast iron intake. and possibly a set of 194 double humps. then after you got it smoking and burning too much oil. you got it bored most times .060. and double springed the points and it would wind till the valves floated. I have blown the pistons completely off the rods. just a bent rod with a wrist pin in a empty cyl.

norms30a and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  4. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

my first 283 sat in a barn under the hood of a willys since 79 it had that q-jet intake and 3782461 heads on it when we pulled it out. Home made duel exhaust dumping out of one very long cherry bomb.

Old wolf likes this.
  5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^Best friend from 45 or so years ago, had a WW II era Willys Jeep back then^^^^. Even with the little flathead, 4 banger engine, it would go anywhere. The dirt bike guys in a former gravel pit would have a time reaching the top of a really steep hill. Dean (my friend), would pull up to the hill, turn around, and BACKUP the hill, and this was a STEEP hill. Then he'd drive through these channels carved out of the dirt, 10 feet deep, and almost touching both side of the Jeep. I was always afraid we'd get stuck in there. I'd never tried it, but it did't bother Dean at all. Your Jeep seems to be in pretty good shape, except for maybe sitting for a while. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. I never could run glass packs. I had to have very quiet exhaust. In the 60,s the cops here would write a teen a ticket for loud exhaust in a heartbeat. so we used a JC whitney cable operated cutout or a pipe extending out the side with a removeable bolt on cap.

bob b. likes this.
  7. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

This picture is bad.. And it makes the q-jet look like a core but don't be fooled it's nice and clean on the inside. And ready to be put back together. Thing set in the shed since we got the other 283 it's going on the one this thread is about. WIN_20200116_03_34_35_Pro.jpg

8. That picture is not a Quadrajet. It looks like the Rochester 4GC.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kevinrevin, lewk, Moriarity and 2 others like this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

L-82s had screw in studs and guide plates.... I worked on one.... ;)

10. Yes that's 4 GC rocsester its ok for a stock 283. about 390 CFM

11. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

it was 3am and I was sloshed my bad.. But ya 4-jet Rochester

12. thomas.parker197

thomas.parker197

55 and 56 SBC's had heat shields. I believe that style came into use with the ram horns in 57.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Heat shields have always been on the bottom of ALL factory SBC intake manifolds. The 55/56 had very small heat shields, in part because the ventilation cannisters in 55/56 were very long. They got shorter in 57 onward. It was't unusual to see the long cannisters beaten all to heck for clearance when an aftermarket intake manifold was installed. If these are't the heat shields being talked about here, then just ignore this response. There were orther heat shields used, such as on exhaust manifolds to shield the spark plug wires and boots. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

it's snowing.. So I'm stuck indoors. There's no screws in the top but I figured while the weather is bad it might be a good time to get a gasket kit for it. Also it took me forever to find the coil holder and oil tube cap! It's all coming together slower then I thought. I'll get there eventually. WIN_20200116_18_30_34_Pro.jpg

15. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Just grabbed some Needle nose pliers and ripped this piece of plastic out of the top of the head stuck in the first port #2 cylinder? Stamped k6 previous owner leave it there? WIN_20200116_18_58_07_Pro.jpg

16. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

got a key switch and tore apart this Delco Remy and scraped the brushes with a screwdriver then took the housing off and scraped the copper pads the brushes ride on with a wire brush put it back together ground from battery to housing positive from battery to the post and it started motoring away. First time it's been out of the barn since '79 and it did not even try to motor before the cleaning very rusty the inside was. WIN_20200118_19_24_24_Pro.jpg 59488726_1262461023906908_2064007818981146624_o.jpg

17. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

18. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I used a paint scraper and a lot of shop rags. This involved beer

chiro and teach'm like this.
  19. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

when I tore the Rochester down it was surprisingly clean inside. Thought I would pull a sprayer nozzle that sets near the chock flapper just three screws and when I pulled it up the gasket shredded and it wasn't clogged anyway. 28 dollar kit just for that small gasket and shipping will be awhile.. Should have just left it alone.

20. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Thats pretty good advice.I had one in my last 64 Belair great little motor

21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Love the little 283's
    I have this one in my '63 Biscayne
    Bored to 292
    270H Comp Cam
    305 HO heads
    Corvette 2 1/2" Ram Horns with full 2 1/2" exhaust
    Edelbrock Performer Intake with Edelbrock 500cfm carb
    HEI Ignition
    Saginaw 4 speed with 3:11 first geat
    3.73 rear end
    This is an awesome car to drive...not the lightest, but this little 283 will sure give me a thrill every time I get on it...
    I started out with an L79 cam and it was fun to drive, but wanted a bit more so went to the 270 Comp cam and that really woke it up.

Attached Files:

enloe and Tickety Boo like this.
  22. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

If the oil pan is off, turn block upside down and fill the pistons with ATF to lube the wrist pins. ;)

loudbang and Old wolf like this.
  23. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Just noticed one of the valve covers has the faint imprints of the turbo fire sticker so neat might try to grab a brush and trace it. And i'm waiting for the Rochester kit in the mail so it would probably be a good time to fix the chewed up points wire off the distributor. And I can snag the coil off the wheel horse just to hear it run.

24. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 2 283's a 65 that I am saving for a 32 Ford truck that is on the wait list. Torque tube rear 52 Ford truck 3 speed and an old adaptor. The other 283 came from a LS 6 that I swapped for it. It turns over easy with a screw driver and it has 327 heads old quad intake. No carb, pullies or generator just an interesting engine. If I live long enough. These engines are a lot of fun in a light vehicle!

Old wolf likes this.
  25. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

The flex plate bolts and Rochester kit showed up up yesterday and I have everything ready to be bolted together. It's a bit rainy and I just don't want to go outside.

26. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

O ya it's pitch black outside and I'm working with a very dim shop light. But I got off my but and went outside the intake/carburetor are on exhaust on. Gonna throw the plugs in it and call it a night. It should most definitely start tomorrow.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  27. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Chevy engineers in the 50's through the 70's lets make something so simple you can bolt the whole generator and charging system on the opposite side of the engine as long as you flip the manifolds. Of course you can still run the belts in the stock configuration. Oh while your at it just to mess with people make it so you can't screw the spark plugs into the heads with the manifolds flipped.

28. ????????

29. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

ramhorn manifolds flipped upside down like derby headers

30. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

you can flip the manifolds and everything bolts up fine and fits how it should if they were not flipped. But the sparkplugs won't screw into the heads.. The manifolds block the spark plug hole. Sorry about the shady camera work it's dark there's lights everywhere and it's a tablet so... WIN_20200126_01_12_38_Pro (2).jpg