Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac Trophy 4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Jan 16, 2020.

1. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Found a Pontiac Trophy 4 in a Tempest today. I can imagine this isn't a everyday find. It's 395 out the gate complete. Is this a fair price? I don't wanna leave it.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Do you have plans for it? or looking to make some money on it? or just want to save a piece of history?

I would have no problem leaving it where it is....

Dave Mc and vtx1800 like this.
  3. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Save it for now.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Never had one, knew about them, read about them here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Trophy_4_engine
    No doubt someone has hopped one up, especially since they use many 389 parts. For a street car? Heavy, vibrating..

Found this bit interesting:
    Due to the geometry of the wrist pins, connecting rods and crankshaft journals a piston descending from top dead center will always move quicker through the first 30 degrees of crankshaft travel than a piston moving upward from bottom dead center, meaning that more mass is moving downward than is moving upward, causing a shaking in the vertical plane.
    Would this be caused by the cylinders being offset from the crank centerline, or the wrist pins offset in pistons, or both? If neither were offset, would the above be true? If so, why?

Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I bought one new in 63. Great little car. Kid around the corner had a 62 with the 4 bbl and 4 speed. Pretty quick for what it was at the time. Mine was tough on timing chains.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

read the link above provided by blowby - unique motor but, has it's problems - have had rides in one like RichFox mentions : with 4 barrel carb & 4 speed trans - yep, pretty damn quick - but, shifter and transaxle were weak

8. khead47

khead47

M/T knew a lot about them. On the salt or at the drags.

loudbang likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

It's just the nature of how a reciprocating mechanism works. When the piston is near the top, the wristpin is moving more in line with the connecting rod, then when the piston is near the bottom. Make some sketches, see if you can see it.

ottoman, blowby and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

Are you talking the whole car or just an engine? What year? Is it the 4 barrel carb version, stick or automatic?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TheSteamDoc and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

12. I have a 4 door tempest in the hoard 4 cyl rope driveshaft and three speed transaxle. looks kinda like a corvair.

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

So that rope drive was a solid flexible shaft that was curved when installed? And spun at engine RPM? Wild!

seb fontana likes this.
  14. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

Old Wolf, the '61-'63 Pontiac Tempest, Olds F85, and Buick Special shared their platform with the Corvair. The floor pan was designed to be used with the engine either in front or at the rear. The Tempest transaxle WAS a Corvair unit- that's why the clutch (or torque converter) hung off the back of the trans.

flatford39 and TheSteamDoc like this.
  15. Being a died in the wool Pontiac fan, I'd love to build a 1 passenger modified around the Pontiac 4. I'd use a 61-63 bellhousing to accept a modern manual trans [I'd prolly use a T-5] and keep the car a feather weight.

Unique Rustorations and gnichols like this.
  16. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's a Pontiac. It should be saved.

17. egads

egads

Different is fun!!!:):):) ( and traditional )Save it.

TheSteamDoc likes this.
  18. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Nice little engine, my parents had a 63 Tempest with one in it and I drove it as a kid. Half of a 389, heads, pistons, rods and other parts are shared. My older brother ran one in an X/FD in the mid 60's.

Attached Files:

19. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Now I'm wondering what do I put it in. Hmmm... . I'm thinking a belly tanker.

bchctybob and flatford39 like this.
  20. I also have two of those slant 4 international scout engines. 1/2 of a 304.

21. greybeard360

greybeard360

A friend of mine used one in a Chevy ll with a Super T10 behind it to run IHRA formula 4 hot rod class. It had a ram air 4 head ' home made tunnel ram with 2, 500 cfm Holley 2 bbls, roller cam, Carrillo rods.... Lots of goodies. He held the record at 13.09 up until IHRA went away. Not bad for a car that the class record was 15.50 when he went to his first race with it. That record didn't stand long.

FlynBrian and TheSteamDoc like this.
  22. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Bought the intake today and will pull the engine. Bringing a random 4 banger in for a core and hope to get it for 225. Means leaving the generator, but,meh. Looks to have a new starter. I'll get pictures tomorrow. Figured if worse came to worse, I saved a rare part.

Attached Files:

23. carbking

carbking

Standard carburetion was a single Rochester B.

Optional carburetion was a single Rochester 4G (about 375 CFM).

SD version carburetion was a single Carter AFB 625 CFM (which was way too much for the street, I had one!).

Jon.

24. flatford39

flatford39

I had know idea...thank you.

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

My folks got a 63 4-door with auto. It was slow (half a goat is just a BBQ) but it was all I had to drive, if they let me. I always wanted a 2 door 63, but with a 389, 4spd and live axle, a steerable SD sort of car. That would have been my post high school hot rod. But then the Army came calling...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    TheSteamDoc likes this.
  26. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

The Tempest transaxle was similar to the Corvair but it was not the same. It had a larger ring gear and '63 V8s had four spider gears, a weak point in the two spider gear Corvair transaxle.

bchctybob likes this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My roommate in trade school had a 62 that he never had any engine trouble with but he had hung the front crossmember up on a railroad crossing one night and did a bunch of damage that the repair shop had a hard time getting fixed right and they went though several of those flexible driveshafts before he finally got one that worked smooth.

28. southcross2631

southcross2631

I worked a Pontiac dealer when I was in high school and the dealer ship hated have to take them in on trade. They were hard to sell new much less when they were 5 years old.
    The people that drove them were the ones who bought the rubber belt 6 cylinder tempests.
    I liked because they were different and really well balanced and good in the snow. Not enough power to spin the tires.

bchctybob likes this.
  29. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I wanted the engine,but, didn't have a place to put. I'm kicking myself now for it. I'm just glad I saved the intake. If anyone around Jacksonville FL wants it, just PM me and I'll fill you in.

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Old Bonneville pic. Pontiac Four with home made head upload_2020-1-19_20-42-43.jpeg

bchctybob, egads, FlynBrian and 2 others like this.