Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The one Car style which returns over and over to you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TERPU, Dec 9, 2019.

1. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My thing seems to have always been fat fendered coupes, pickup trucks or mid-50's sedans. Stuck in a rut, I guess.

2. I would have to say tri-five Chevies and early vette's
    <-------

3. Same as Dana Barlow-53-55 Stude coupe's.

4. 11 Model A's. One 4dr, 2 pickups, 8 tudors...

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

Dodge trucks between the late 30s and the mid 90s seem to be a reoccurring thing around my house. Of the 7 vehicles here right now that belong to me, 6 of them fall under that category. Gene

6. I too have a "thing" for 29 RPU's. My first hot rod was a 29 RPU, and my current 29 RPU will be my last hot rod.

7. Though the '57 is the ONE, my 1st car was an ''A'' body '67 Chevelle. Only because a '57 was out of reach to me.
    Since that one, it's been 2 more, the '66 Cutlass and '72 El Camino. Still have both of them.

8. ...Advanced Design pickups...
    my hot rods 001.jpg my hot rods 002.jpg my hot rods.jpg my hot rods 003.jpg gmc 015.jpg cokers 7-30-16 033.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and Tickety Boo like this.
  9. TERPU

TERPU

I actually blame you for my Addiction, But in a good way :)

10. Never really thought about it before but the Model A and '62 - '66 C10s seem to be the recurring models. My last Model A was a '29 Tudor...
    113.JPG
    and my last C10 was a '63...
    '63 C10 #34.JPG
    Almost forgot about '54 Fords, had a couple of those.

11. I vividly remember my mom buying me the Hot Rod Magazine that had Dean & his roadster on the cover at Bryant's Pharmacy in 1962, I still have that magazine and I studied all the photo's for hours, Dean your roadster pickup made a huge impact on me. HRP

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    dana barlow and 1stGrumpy like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

Model A

Hello,

Since our first sighting of a Model A in a field, near our Westside Long Beach house, there has always been something missing. We bought the Model A and within a month, there was a fast 1958 Chevy Impala in the driveway. There was also a cool 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, a 671 SBC C/Gas Willys Coupe and even another 40 Ford Sedan Delivery later on in our twenty something lives. But, that Model A we found, we nursed it back to running. We had thoughts of making a competitor to our friends 1934 Olds powered, 5 window, Ford Coupe, was my brother’s original goal.
    upload_2020-1-18_4-42-29.png
    So, why did we sell it to another friend? At the time, my brother’s 1951 Olds sedan was fast for the big sedan, but not as fast as the lightweight 1934 5 window Ford Coupe. Plus, that big Olds motor made the 1934, 5 window coupe, quick on the street and won in the A/Gas Class at Lions Dragstrip. My brother did not want to be second, but have a hot rod that could be the fastest one day.

He saw the 58 Chevy Impala as a means to an end and was fast as soon as it rolled up to our house. (The odd thing was…those two friends never raced each other. It is a puzzling thing even to this day. By the time I owned the Impala and had more horsepower + the C&O Stick Hydro, the 34 was sold to a guy in Colorado.) Later on, we drove to the desert many times and to Baja beaches to go off road motorcycle racing in one or the other's El Camino trucks. Again, the competition being what it was, my friend was faster each time.

Jnaki

So, life long friendships overcame the urge to build a similar hot rod coupe for daily driving and to race at Lions. My brother went a different way with his new Impala. Maybe that was his way of saying, your 34 5 window is fast, and so is my 58 Chevy Impala. Two different approaches to meet the same idea of going fast and looking good while doing it.
    upload_2020-1-18_4-43-9.png possible future hot rod style

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  13. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Model A coupes & sport coupes. I've had 9 over the years. Still have 4 including the 1st one I got in 1984.

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

40 Fords--at least a dozen thus far and quite a few trifives as well.

15. papajohn

papajohn

1960 Oldsmobiles. I have had a 4 door flat top, 4 door sedan, 2 door hardtop, and now have a wagon and a convertible. All have been 88's , haven't had a 98....yet.

16. billthx138

billthx138

I've owned ten trifives over the years, '55 is my favorite. I own two now and am always on the hunt for the next one. Oh yeah, I like deuces too. 2B1A6535-B3E2-469A-859D-843292478E61.jpeg

Hombre and olscrounger like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

1965 two door Chevelle Station Wagon

Hello,

When I was in the market for a new car prior to the long drive to Northern California for college, I looked at many possibilities. Most had what I wanted, but there were things that just did not work for me. So, I was down to a full size pick up truck or a Chevy van. The van was becoming my first choice, but was very spartan and had a 6 cylinder motor.

The truck was spartan and had the same characteristics of a long uncomfortable bench seat that did not adjust to my liking. I continued to look and fell over a new Chevelle body styling. They had an SS model and had bucket seats. I wanted bucket seats and space in the back for camping and surfboards. The two door station wagon model seemed like it was set up perfectly. It was not a stodgy 4 door family wagon.

So I had a long list of wants for this special order 2 door wagon. A big v8 motor 396 (not available in Chevelle wagons or El Caminos ), 4 speed (NA) bucket seat interior (NA) Positraction (Available) one out of 3 choices was not going to get it done for my next car. No ifs, ands, or buts in the special order process from Chevrolet.

Jnaki

I was getting tired of the sales guy telling me I could not order what I wanted, so he suggested an El Camino for easy access for my surfboards and desert racing motorcycle. No lockable storage, but that was a minimal trade-off. I could get a v8 (327) and a 3 speed, but opted for an automatic. So, those particular things were listed as showing up the following week from Fremont Factory assembly line.

I bought the El Camino, but have always wanted the same body style, in a 2 door station wagon. The El Camino was based on the exact chassis and the station wagon frame. There is/was a secret trap door in the bed of the El Camino that was supposed to be used for the rear foot well of a station wagon.
    upload_2020-2-17_17-55-33.png
    I even thought of putting on a lighweight camper shell to simulate a 1965 El Camino, sedan delivery, but it was too much to take off and on with 2 motorcycles rolling up into the bed weekly.

These days, there are plenty of hot rod builders that have converted the simple 2 door Chevelle station wagon into one of the nicest versions on the road. The two door looks like it should be called a Nomad, with out the high price. (CHEVROLET missed their chance to promote this style) A new reliable v8, 4 speed, A/C, positraction, new lower, Cal Rake style suspension and steady ride, all things I wanted back in the fall of 1964 are now available in the modern versions of this cool looking station wagon. Keep those huge wheels as that look is awful. It has to be the classic look of being back in 1965 with what I actually wanted to order from the Chevrolet Factory before heading off to college.
    upload_2020-2-17_17-56-4.png 15 inch American Mags
    Having driven a 396 powered El Camino in 1966 with a 4 speed, that would have been great, only one year earlier…

TERPU likes this.
  18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Back in the day a friend had a black 36 Ford five window coupe that we puta 265 SBC in it. I've always wanted a five window but no cigar. The closest I've come is a 36 Ford two door drag car we built as 16-17 year olds in my Grandpa's garage. It was originally flathead powered that we later swapped out to a 327. I'm the skinny guy in the middle. IMG_0928.JPG