Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cheap fuel injection for 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alex Gillman, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Nothing cool looking about it,but Chevy used a throttle body fuel injection system in the late 80"s early 90"s.You might be able to adapt it to a early manifold.It would be cheap.The wreaking yards still get them.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

some guys use the HO 305 heads for a healthy bump of compression in the 307 and 283. Might be what he’s doing there

3. I know that. I just hope he didn't pay big bucks for vintage "camel hump" heads.:eek:

Tim likes this.
  4. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

using the"eye ball" tape measure-are you sure a blower won't fit ind that cowl?

5. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

another issue with that transmission will be the drive shaft-doesn't appear to have a slip yoke,so your'e will have to be two piece with slip joint in the middle-car looks like fun"you'll shoot yer eye out kid"LOL

Mark Yac likes this.
  6. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

Unsolicited advice, but something to consider. If the engine is running as is, change your focus to getting the rest of the car working. Brakes, steering, exhaust, lights and wipers will all need to be right to get this car on the road legally. Enjoy driving it as you determine your final vision and locate those upgrades.

nochop likes this.
  7. boutlaw

boutlaw

Hats off to you Alex, follow the aforementioned advice as best you can, but damn son, you aint scared. I love it, every kid starts with an idea and an empty wallet and you've done amazing with what you have. There are a million ideas for improvement but the fact that you've done so much with so little is awesome. Learn from your mistakes, don't be afraid to pitch a fabbed part if its not what you wanted, because you'll regret it later. Get it running, starting, stopping, and driving as safe as possible, and save for the go fast stuff, you'll get there, however, Im sorry to say, youre screwed for the rest of your life, youre officially a gearhead.

8. I like your project...and your gumption (old guy term for "you got balls").

Off topic advice that you didn't ask for...you said all this chassis work was done with a gasless 110v wire feed welder. I would suggest selling the welder and using the funds (and add more) to buy a real 220v mig welder. If you're in this hobby for the long haul, it's much better to have a welder that is able to confidently bite into and join pieces together. Especially chassis, steering and suspension work. You've done well with what you have, but I don't heve confidence in the pentration that those small machines offer.

loudbang, redo32 and Mark Yac like this.
  9. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Like said, focus on carbs down, those things won’t change when you work on carbs up

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

No one has mentioned this yet, but with a blower/supercharger, you want to run a fairly low static compression ratio, like around 7:1. a 283, with 305 heads, would probably in the area of 9 to 9.5:1, and that's too high, unless your pulleys make it really underdriven (underdriven I think; I'm not really that up on blowers). What rods are in the 283, the early style design, or the later with more structure around the rod bolts? And certainly not cast pistons. Without a stout set of pistons, and a strong bottom end, a blower will most likely deposit the engine internals onto the pavement in fairly short order. That's why I said to go with a BBC and TH400 trans; plenty of torque there to move things along. Or, keep the 283 "as is", give the truck trans to a shrimp fisherman, and find a cheap Saginaw 4 speed to get the project going. What rear end and gearing are being used? Best not to get carried away with aftermarket induction unless the engine is truly up to the task. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Yes, You can under drive the blower but than you are just a poser!

12. Alex Gillman

Alex Gillman

It has a 8.8 with 4:10 gears. I can check the tag to make sure. The trans gears are so high, I figured bigger rear gears allong with the the low bearing in the trans would help acceleration.

And for the much asked question, the truck trans was cheap, 300 bucks. I wanted to be able to shift gears, take whatever engine I bolted to it(it came of a 454, but he only wanted to sell the trans)as well as again, cheap and durable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  13. The truck transmission will work for now, but the gear ratios are not suited for the direction your heading. A good quality four or five speed transmission will be a wise upgrade before adding a blower. You will not regret getting better gear ratios and the ability to speed shift.

14. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Alex, as far as that np435 you could probably swap that to a jeep guy for his t176 which will have not ideal but more useable gearing and he'd be happy with your lower geared transmission.

loudbang likes this.