Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was working on installing a fuel line on my truck the other day and figured I would re-use a hole in the firewall (there are a few that need welding up). The hole was too large for a nut zert so I rummaged through the bin of death and found a heavy washer, drilled it out to fit the zert on the drill press, loaded up the zert on the gun, stuck it in the hole, slipped the tight fitting washer on the zert from behind and cinched it down. Worked great. Worth passing along.
    upload_2020-1-16_15-46-55.png

upload_2020-1-16_15-47-25.png

upload_2020-1-16_15-47-51.png

zz29, brad2v, safetythird and 7 others like this.
  2. Mart

Mart

Re the coke and aluminium foil:
    I tried it:

Mart.

A Boner, Jet96, Elcohaulic and 6 others like this.
  3. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

If you ever need to tape a wire connection in an extremely tight area this little trick makes it easier. Take a length of electrical tape and roll it up very tightly with the sticky side out. Place the tape where you want it and unroll the tape around the wire.

4. Jogyver

Jogyver

Cheap enamel paint remover..... Easy Off oven cleaner. The neighbor kids car was sprayed with rattle can enamel paint. The car was a white 1999 Chevy. Easy off removed the paint without destroying the finish. I’ve used it to remove engine enamel paint off the engine blocks.

5. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn. Why didnt i ever think of this!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. redzula

redzula

A buddy who is big into the rock crawlers world just has a long skinny funnel mounted to the wall with a hose poked through a hole in the wall to a gravel pile outside. Doesn't have to leave the shop or open the door in the winter and also doesn't have to carry a cup o piss anywhere when it gets full.

Sent from my rotary phone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If you live in the country it's easy. We have 80 acres and my DNA is on every square foot of it.

8. redzula

redzula

Dad has an old hoe that the blade broke off of. Leaving a pole with a metal hook on the end. Just used it last week to take my Xmas lights down without having to get on the roof. Works well for snagging things under a lowered car as well.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    brEad, Boneyard51, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  9. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Best work bench floor mat I ever had came from Tractor supply. A 3/4” solid rubber horse stall mat.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. I use an old paint roller handle and form a short hook on the roller end, most of them have a threaded hole in the handle that makes it easy to add length as needed to reach high up on the eaves to remove lights. I'll post a pic once I find mine in the garage... Just moved so still finding stuff and learning where its at!

11. redzula

redzula

Haven't used them in the garage but we had 4 if those horse mats in a dog run that came with our old house... Took them when we moved.... They are now under the kids play equipment in the yard. I can mow right up to it and don't have to weed wack under it. Would also work great under your outside dumpsters.

Coincidentally they don't work very well in an outside dog run, rain got between and under them and cratered the mud below so they were nowhere near flat or ever dry.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  12. Installing a new radiator in my van before a trip to Ham Drags 5 years ago I discovered that preformed transmission lines were no longer available for my vehicle. I went to Home Depot and bought a bag of these copper fittings with various angles for about $10, lubed and pushed transmission hose through them. Still works great! 100_2510.JPG 100_2510.JPG 100_2513.JPG 100_2513.JPG 100_2513.JPG 100_2510.JPG 100_2513.JPG 100_2513.JPG 100_2513.JPG 100_2517.JPG 100_2517.JPG

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Wow! The hose doesn't kink inside the bends?

14. BJR

BJR

I know it works, but it looks like ass. Just saying.

Gizzy, pvfjr, weps and 9 others like this.
  15. RMONTY

RMONTY

Maybe you have a black rattle can laying around to knock the copper off those fittings??

16. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Great idea but I have one question. Did your parents give you a set of tinker toys when you were a kid?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Had to check my calendar to see if it was April 1st.

Gasser 57 likes this.
  18. No kinks at all.

19. It's just daily driver van.

Petejoe likes this.
  20. What would you have done?

Ranunculous likes this.
  21. Dang, I forgot how touchy you guys are! Sorry to have offended so many..........

22. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Well, I'll bet your way was easier than mine. I'd have been searching the junk yard and or bending them from metal/aluminum brake line. Is it beautiful to look at, hell no, but if it works and keeps your DD on the road, oh well. We cant all be Boyd Coddington

6-bangertim likes this.
  23. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Nice way to keep a DD on the road without spending a fortune in the process. While not show quality it looks like an economic fix to keep one running. I think most of us have had to do unconventional fixes before.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Early Ironman and firstinsteele like this.
  24. BJR

BJR

I would have bent up steel tubing and used rubber hose to connect the ends.

pvfjr, Boneyard51 and LWEL9226 like this.
  25. impala4speed

impala4speed

You made something that you can't buy and it's completely functional. You done good as far as I'm concerned.

26. redzula

redzula

I agree it isn't pretty but if it works....

I wonder if you there is a process to heat the hose or something so it learns the new shape and would keep that form after you take the copper off. No idea if it's possible or not just curious.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I keep all of my hand tools on a cart with rollers. Instead of walking back and forth a hundred times I just roll the cart up to the work. You can see the cart in the top left hand corner..

Attached Files:

Boneyard51, LAROKE and 65pacecar like this.
  28. Thanks for correct terminology. Coping saw blade, the better the teeth the better it works.

1 more car I promise, Rex Winter
    Dry n windy Lubbock TX

Boneyard51 likes this.
  29. I keep most of my hand tools on pegboard hooks on the wall cause I
    need the exercise!

30. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a little grease on the seal and hand tightening of oil filters will eliminate this kinda nonsense. a result 944A8583-EDD6-44FE-8C0C-7E32F94084F5.jpeg 04D97588-C1BD-4D29-91CC-660B15CCADFE.jpeg of trying to change the filter on a car I just bought, I actually had to remove the oil pan to get this thing off.