Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Never seen this done before!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 17, 2020.

1. TCTND

TCTND

This was sometimes done to flatheads so the exhaust wouldn't have a long path through the block shedding unwanted heat into the cooling system the whole way. That actually makes some sense. On a Chevy; total BS.

regards,
    Phil

Boneyard51, blowby, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yep.....we have a winner! Surprised it took 30 posts to get to this bit of hot rod info...

Ray

catdad49 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  3. Damnit! Ya got me. I already got the hole cut in the hood, but every time i cut the wheels around it leans out my idle mixture!

scotty t and hotrodjack33 like this.
  4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think its pretty interesting just because someone did it, and showed it could be done.
    Horse power advantage or not, I think its pretty cool.:cool:

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  5. Guess they got tired of catching hell over running another "plain ol small block Chevy" :D

Tim likes this.
  6. slowmotion

slowmotion

"I recon so...." -TOJW
    :D

7. chubbie

chubbie

Hotrod history. Studebaker donated block and crank to what we know as an Offenhauser, brains behind it.. "Miller" These Offys/Millers were built for Indy cars in the 1960's. Overhead cams and were a reverse flow that ran over 10,000 RPM for hours. Not BS!

8. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

This must be one of those rare “corvette” engines.;)

scotty t likes this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve heard it run in person it does exist as mark pointed out.

as far as why do it if it’s not making more power? Why not?

guys are still building all kinds of weird shit lol. It looks cool, that’s probably enough reason for some guys.

I’m sure with the right small valve donor heads that you could have enough meat to make the now intake valves bigger and make some better power.

more or less it’s some bench racing you can touch and I dig that.

if we all wanted to go fast, actual fast, we wouldn’t be building what we are lol.

scotty t likes this.
  10. In reality RAT ROD RAT ROD RAT RODRATRODXFH HV DRHHJGDXCLBGTKSDLSD

11. Nope people used to think that they would breath better that way. yes its a straighter shot at the intake valves but they don't breath any better. Now its just a novelty.

12. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I want to hate this but just can't.

13. This picture is at least 15-17 years old, I used to think it was awesome before I knew better.

14. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Kind of reminds me of one of the guys I went to shows with who had a dummy blower on his T-Bucket. I wasn't functional but looked cool as hell on the car. 483.jpg

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My Dad showed that to me on our 1937 Ford ton and a half truck, back in about 1964. It was impressive! Some how the pistons looked like they were at the top and bottom at the same time! That was at an idle, when he reved it up a little they just blured out!
    If you ever get a chance to see this, do it you will never forget it.

After responding to this, I got to thinking, that would be an awesome display at a car show; swap meet! Anybody got an old flat head laying around? Lol

Bones

16. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Years ago I had a friend who was a Super Stock (SS/A) racer (rip) always experimenting. One set of heads he drilled into the intake runners so he had two dominators on intake, then four 1 barrels, one at each corner.
    He ran it like that once and the tech inspector asked if he was from Mars!
    There were great stories about Smokey Yunick and I had the honor of meeting him.
    The one I liked was he won a stock car race without having to refuel towards the end. The tech inspectors made him drop the gas tank and they were carefully measuring to see the capacity when he finally got disgusted, fired his car up, loading it on trailer! He had figured out how many gallons of fuel the roll cage would hold so he was using it for extra storage.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

A big problem with doing this, is the intake port on a sbc has no engine coolant shrouding around the port. Imagine the oil in the valve covers pouring over the intake ports. Lots of crusty smokey mess in that crankcase.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. I don't have a picture, but the best one I've done is weld 8 pipes to a frame made of 1"angle, cut a hole in the hood, and weld it to the bottom of the hood recessed about an inch lol, shut the hood and voila! Stack injection baby, well, not really, but in my mind, i was the bees knees:D