Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Boost and old engines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GraeffSS, Jan 17, 2020.

1. GraeffSS

GraeffSS

Hello guys, a friend from our club offered my father and I a spare blower he had, for us to test and maybe buy it.

The blower in question is a little Aisin unit, about 30c.i., adequate for lower displacement engines, so we decided to test it on a 134 Willys engine.

My concern, is how much boost I can run on it? Based on a 1955 magazine article i know the Willys bottom end can take at least 8 psi, but that engine had custom pistons and reduced compression ratio, ours is completely stock.

Would a low (4-5psi) boost, (which according to my math, keeps the compression ratio low enough for pump gas) be enough for the engine to survive, or without re-gapping the rings and other internal modifications i can forget the idea?

Just for curiosity, this is the blown jeep from the 50's - bored and stroked to 151", some porting, a magneto, 5.5:1 CR and a 3-51 blower.
    154-1307-02%2Bjuly-2013-vintage-vault-supercharged-mule%2Bclassic-car-craft-cover.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X00DDA using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Truckedup

Truckedup

You're talking the side valve and not the F head? 8 psi boot might be 200 HP? I believe if you can keep the RPM down it may live longer..

3. GraeffSS

GraeffSS

Yes, i'm talking about the side valve, we do have a few F head 6's, but i want to test on the smaller engine first

On the power, i believe the article claimed 90hp at the wheels, so i would guess about 150 at the engine

Sent from my ASUS_X00DDA using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know anything about that unit, or the 134. I looked them up, seems like a neat idea.

I've run low or lower boost units on a couple motors. By low I means 4lbs on one and 7 on the other. Keeping the boost down to avoid detonation and the rpm down seems to let pretty stock engines live. This is for street driving, not staying in it for a full 1/4 mile or top end. The problem is even with low boost is you can feel it, and it's too damn fun to not use it.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Willy is a low compression engine to start with, I have run 10 psi with a newer OHV engine that was around 9 or 9.5 on the street and it worked fine. But a much different engine,