Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cheap fuel injection for 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alex Gillman, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

77D58431-F653-4B44-A9CA-21AA171A65C3.jpeg Example.

Of course it’s not cheap fuel injection fo a blown v8 but it does give you a blown v8 that fits under your sheet metal which seems to be your real issue

2. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Just asking about the weight of the engine an your welded frame rails.... Done Rite this is never a factor.... Post pic's of what ya got goin... Then the conversation can get started on your best plan to hit the streets....

3. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

There's always "Outside The Box" : How about a pair of Mustang(or similar source)turbochargers front mounted (one on each side with either a "Blow-Through" or "Outboard-Carb"{linkage might be a bitch}, with a single pipe going back(makes exhaust system simple?) Go back to the '60s & look up the "Turbo-Honker" Dodge, so it's traditional(& with P-n-P parts it would be "budget-friendly") YOU GUYS TYPE WAY TOO FAST!!! LOL!

4. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

B&M 174 might be low enough :rolleyes:

5. Alex Gillman

Alex Gillman

I'll look into the turbocharger idea.

Here are the pictures for the other guy
    Its welded with a 110 flux cord welder.
    Square tube / angle iron is welded inside 20191104_072018.jpeg 20191103_164218.jpeg 20191104_072043.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your a thinker and a tinker; get yourself one or two Holley carb bases and a barrel valve and make your own. That's as flat/low as your ever going to get. Put the nozzles in a 1/2" thick plate under the carb base or under the blower. Make linkage to the barrel valve and drive the pump off a belt to the crank keeping it low. Good Luck

Alex Gillman likes this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

That’s a pretty damn nice job for a young guy working in his driveway. A big “atta boy” for getting in there and getting sh, uh stuff done. Too bad you don’t have any older guys nearby to bounce ideas off of but most everyone here will help keep you on the right track.
    All types of superchargers and turbochargers are pretty pricey by the time you get the whole setup running. I think you might be better off with a tunnel ram to get it running and still looking mean. You might find a tunnel ram and carbs for $400-800 on Craigslist or FB but a blower setup will be double that plus.
    What’s the engine and trans? What’s in it? Stock 283 or has something been done to it?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Alex Gillman

Alex Gillman

Currently it's a stock 283 with camel hump heads.

I rebuilt it with the old pistons, but will go back through the engine in a few months.( had like 2k miles on it before I bought it, but who knows)

It has 310lb springs, hardened retainers and summit 1107 cam. I drive my current car at high rpm before shifting, and I bet I'll do the same in the pontiac. Hopefully a good choice for 70 bucks.

The trans is a sm465 from a 1986 1 ton chevy. It has the hydraulic bellhousing from a 60s GMC. The 1 tons had mechanical linkage, but might be wrong. Its apparently slow shifting and has the wrong gears for going fast, but it was cheap and I won't break it. It has a firewall partially in now
    Here are some pictures.. 20191216_075926.jpeg 20191206_173302.jpeg 20191020_094843.jpeg 20191126_155400.jpeg

Hollywood-East, TimCT and Tim like this.
  9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I would have said that first, but there is always a guy that will post that a friends cousin's sisters brother gets them to work and gets 30 MPG. just wanted to avoid conflict

10. TimCT

TimCT

Let me be the first to say that I think its awesome you're using an SM465. I hope you're keeping that visor, too.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Rather than buy a Ron's Racing throttle body. I keep advising people to use 4.6 Ford SOHC bodys. It's just an air valve. You still need everything else. But that is why we have Ebay. Or you could get some rectangular tube and do this. Worked for me img48.JPG img56.JPG

bchctybob and jimmy six like this.
  12. Alex Gillman

Alex Gillman

I could probably pick one up at the junkyard.
    I'll look into it too
    Maybe I could tap carb jets into it? Build somthin with 3/16 steel line?
    I'd still need to think up something for an accelerator pump

13. sdluck

sdluck

Once again can you give us some part of the world you are in? Some people might be willing to help out if they knew where in the world you are?

14. sdluck

sdluck

Most FI units work of the barrel valve no acc pump

15. Thou not a blower... Look at used Hilborn and Kinsler stack injectors... Lot’s of those out there for SBC

16. Alex Gillman

Alex Gillman

nochop likes this.
  17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Damn kid, you got balls

Alex Gillman likes this.
  18. I agree with the previous post on getting your Pontiac driving as it is and worry about adding a blower later. Enjoy driving it while you save to build a dedicated blower motor. This way you can reap all the rewards of supercharged glory with less worry of braking parts. Plus being able to enjoy your work now will help keep your motivation. Your off to a hell of a start so far, keep up the good work.

pitman and saltflats like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This^^^^^^
    Normally when these kind of projects are proposed I tend to poo poo them, mainly because people with much more experience have tried and failed but in this case it's a win/win deal even if it doesnt work (at first).
    I give extra credit to those willing to get back on the horse after they've been bucked off.
    This is the kind of stuff you won't learn from a community college!
    I do think the smartest advice has already been given and that is to forge ahead and get the car functioning with the current engine setup but in such a way that any future changes won't require major reworking.

20. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Along what Tim suggested, you might find an old McCullogh or Paxton centrifugal supercharger. More "period" correct for a 52. The Edelbrock AFB clones will take that amount of boost with only the marine accelerator pump (no blow back under boost). I've run those on yblocks that were not highly modified. Old tech, you might not win all the races, but it's fun. You can also get on the road, sort the problems out, and add it later without a bunch of mods.

Kind of OT here, but B&M (or someone) made some small roots blowers designed for pretty stock sbc's. A buddy has one on the shelf, from what he can tell they aren't worth much money and he bought it cheap years ago. Might help with the clearance problems, I've never set one alongside a 6-71 on a manifold but I'm sure it's lower.

21. Alex Gillman

Alex Gillman

I'll have to look into that.

I'll probably just get the car going and see how things go. Maybe swap for a bigger engine if I find one or at least throw some money at the 283..

bchctybob likes this.
  22. Couldn't think of anything to say here..till now .
    But Gassers, visors... Yikes

Oh yeah, I do agree ..You got balls, kid.

Dick Stevens likes this.
  23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Only on a fake gasser! :rolleyes:

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Cast pistons with a blower; good luck with that. And a truck trans? Shelve the 283, find yourself a 454/TH-400 trans, and go from there. Looks like you do good work, I just think you need to redirect your focus. JMO, so don't let my opinion get under your skin. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. Since the HAMB suffers a bit with tunnel vision, what i'm going to suggest won't be too popular. With what your building, maybe you could do it as a 70's street freak. Throw a dual quad intake on that 283 and go have some fun. The engine set back and straight axle was common back then and the only rule was, that there were no rules. Real hotrodding is all about creativity and doing your own thing. You seem to have those two things going for you. Keep up the good work and by all means, keep thinking outside of that box.

redo32 and pitman like this.
  26. Alex Gillman

Alex Gillman

Thanks RPJ
    I'll look into the streak freak idea. The car might fit into the altered section too as far as I know
    Its definitely gonna be scary to see on the street

27. Youth, ambition and old cars. Damn right.
    Rev it up, young man!

TimCT and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Your build is a little radical for daily driving. The set back sure looks like more than 10 percent. That set back falls into the altered coupe category, from way back then in the late 50s/early 60s rulebook. We followed the strict rules for building our 1940 Willys Coupe for the gas coupe classes.
    upload_2020-1-18_7-19-4.png 1959-60
    It was also street legal with all of the stuff necessary to get it licensed by the local So Cal DMV. (Wiper blades, mufflers, license plate, running lights, etc.)
    upload_2020-1-18_7-22-12.png similar motor set up
    With a legal 10% set back, a new firewall and interior panels that looked like the 2nd photo, the 671 292 SBC motor cleared everything inside of our 1940 Willys Coupe.. We had plenty of room for two tall teenagers inside, despite the Moon Tank sitting in the passenger’s side floor area.
    upload_2020-1-18_7-22-59.png similar interior in a willys coupe
    Your motor is set back so far that with an engine cover and added panels, you, your passengers and your feet will be cramped. Your seat will be in the rear area past the door jamb. I am not sure you are not chewing off something that is not street legal in all aspects. As least, you don’t have to take 4 people from your high school cruising around. And the 12 spokes in front? Wow, what a project with a weird future. Those 12 spokes were spindle only for race cars, until enterprising hot rod guys started the Airheart Disc Brake adapters for the spokes. Then some company made the street version past the 1965 cut off for the HAMB.

Jnaki

Injection for the street is always an “iffy” project. The new EFI systems don’t fall into the HAMB traditional rules, so stay away from that angle. If a super charger is a goal and you want to stay within the rules boundary of late 50s early 60s period correct, look into a Paxton or McCulloch Engineering centrifugal supercharger or even a small Latham supercharger. Those will fit under that dash and firewall. The McCulloch will actually be in front of the motor near the valve covers.

Since there are no longer Altered sedan classes, you will need to get your research in order, your ideas modified and a visit to the local DMV to see if your car is actually street legal, before spending…. To paraphrase the Dire Straits; “Money for Nothing…” and the chicks/hot rods are never free…

29. The old Paxton blowers were that basic setup and traditional as hell.

[​IMG]

Granted we don't think that they look so cool but well sometimes we have to sacrifice looks for function. Looks are for customs the rest of us know that form always follows function.

OK I got to ask this stupid question. and it is just a question OK? Why on earth are you using that damned old bread truck transmission in your dragster? before I spent good money on a blower and injection I would be after a transmission. Hell even a Sag 3 gear is better that that.

Tim and loudbang like this.
  30. Seeing nobody else mentioned it, those appear to be late model 305 heads.

kevinrevin likes this.