Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Seat belts in a Model A roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roundvalley, Jan 16, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. roundvalley

roundvalley

Do you have seat belts in your roadster?

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Laydees and jjjnnlllmmmnnn.... in the red corner.......... :)

Chris

Bandit Billy likes this.
  3. I put seat belts in every old car I've had, especially for the wife and kids...

HotRod33 and Phoenix24 like this.
  4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put em in my 31 roadster. Figure its better to have them than not.

dana barlow likes this.

5. I had them in my '32 roadster, at least in a accident it would hopefully keep you from being ejected. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  6. bct

bct

Put them in mine. Lap belts mounted to frame and subframe. It's not 40hp and 1935 anymore, be safe.

dana barlow and Phoenix24 like this.
  7. manyolcars

manyolcars

I didnt have seatbelts. When I ran over a concrete/brick mailbox at 45 mph, the seat slid forward pushing me into the steering wheel. Both hands holding the steering wheel hit the windshield which was open, breaking the glass and cutting my hands. The steering wheel was bent severely, destroying it and breaking my ribs.

Phoenix24 likes this.
  8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yep. 5 point harness to frame.

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

Where did you get your 5 point?

10. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Simpson. Sprint car guys have to keep their belts current. I bought a set of 1 year old belts for $20.

11. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I only do so I can participate in the HAMB drags

12. Well, heck yeah. Fast car, bench seat...it'd be stupid not to.

nunattax likes this.
  13. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have always had them in all my cars. Presently have them in my '30 coupe and '34 pickup.

nunattax likes this.
  14. manyolcars

manyolcars

how are they attached in your coupe?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Blues4U likes this.
  15. chopped

chopped

Is a belt attached to the frame a problem if the hit moves the body on the frame? You would be in a moving body but attached to the frame.

16. Had the experience recently of doing a 360 on I-90 & whacking the guard rail on way around..........had seatbelt secured & good thing it was or I likely would have been tossed out.............fucked my back up a bit but I walked away from this write-off...............ALWAYS have belts & USE them...............FYI I've held a race license for many years and have several on-track incidents during that time in my BBC vintage roadrace Corvette..........

17. error404

error404
    from CA

In offroad racing (and probably also on-road car racing), you attach the seats to the roll cage, and the belts to the roll cage. Even if there's still a traditional frame.

If there's no roll cage, I would probably figure out a way to attach the belts to the seat itself, assuming that the seat is very securely attached to the body. Or, make a good strong crossmember that is on the body, and not the frame, and attach the belts to that.

I put belts in everything. At the very least, lap belt. It's just habit for me to use belts, so it doesn't bother me to put belts in a vehicle that didn't originally have them.

kevinrevin and HotRod33 like this.
  18. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Lap belts in my Model A's, bolt thru the subrail at the back of the seat with a piece of 1/4 plate in it. Stronger than thru the floors of a new car.

chopped likes this.
  19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

B9F3B131-4335-4B90-8E75-5649103E8458.jpeg 8D4B0AE0-E6CC-48FC-BAF2-EB1E3CF862D4.jpeg DB9ACEB3-CC85-47A1-89F6-42032A7DDB43.jpeg Seatbelts are a necessity in the time we live in now, especially if you live in a populated area. This is what I did when I was building my 1929 roadster on original model a frame rails..
    I made a inner roll bar out of 1.5 DOM x .125 wall with a 4 point in the roadster for the seatbelts. It also served a few purposes one its backing for the seat and belts , mounting fuel tank and also battery box(antique Cooler) . This also gave the body support with a sheetmetal barrier between the seatback and trunk area. The rollbar front get mounted bolted thru the subrails to L bracket to frame and rear gets mounted to the frame thru the body at the rear legs to the rear crossmember .
    The seatbelts are old racecar deist and just lap belts and dont see why you couldn’t put a harness in. You can’t see the bar with the seat in it and deck lid closed..

pprather likes this.
  20. manyolcars

manyolcars

continentaljohn, thanks for the pictures. I have been thinking of a bar like that to attach the top of the belt.

continentaljohn likes this.
  21. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seatbelts in a small car make it easier to find the body after the wreck. I have them in a 31 coupe.

'49 Ford Coupe and Hotrodmyk like this.
  22. manyolcars

manyolcars

Where did you attach yours?

23. walter

walter

Almostdone I agree completely. I always wear mine and any passenger also does in my roadster. I always tell them I want to keep everything in one place or the EMT workers!

24. I attached mine [coupe] behind the seats, attached to 3/8ths eyebolts that bolt down through the floor, through the top rail of the frame with a 3/8ths steel backer welded under the top rail. I know my body will not move on my frame in a wreck because a model 40 has about 35 body mount bolts! True story.

25. Every thing I've ever built had seat belts. Plain stupid not to!

[​IMG]

26. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I've seen some old black and white news clips of T's and A's getting t-boned and knocking the whole body off the frame, with the driver still in the body. Imagine if your seat belts were bolted to the frame.

27. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

How did you mount the shoulder harness's?

sport fury likes this.
  29. The age old seatbelt question. next comes the age roll bar question. LOL

[​IMG]