Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Could of cried 34 3w

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39WILLZ, Jan 14, 2020.

1. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey you are 100% right not great with this computer stuff but I'll start digging to see what I can find, when I sent messages to him via the Hamb will they still be available to find.
    Thanks for the kind words Wayne

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Piece I removed from top of left rear quarter panel to roof, and the lovely doors I have to work with, piece of metal with a few tacks on lower door then covered with plod,,, quality, not bothered to fix top hinge to door frame properly just a couple of welds hold it in place.

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I picked up a customers 32 5 window body that he'd bought in Denver with only seeing pictures that could have been this cars older cousin. On the outside it was slick as a gut but the inside looked like Frankenstein. I took it to 2 of the best metal finisher's in this part of the country and they both refused to work on it. The customer finally said to do our best and get him a decent looking, running, driving deuce. After I finished the chassis and drive train I found a shop that would help me. He dug out the bondo, much of which was not needed, cleaned up the welds, straightened the panels and finished the body with a much thinner skim coat of bondo and we painted it flat black. Turned out alright and the customer was happy.

kidcampbell71 and 39WILLZ like this.
  4. TERPU

TERPU

I feel for you and that whole process blows for you. Perception is often the downfall of any "good" thing. Yeah you got a rough as a cob three window, BUT it is still a three window. Setting your investment aside you still have a three window. Your initial investment six years ago is long gone to the winds of time. I'd be bummed as well. The first '55 Chevy 210 I bought turned out to be the very same scenario.

Get on with it, how many threads do we love where complete shit boxes are turned into beautiful Hot Rods? And Holy Shit you have a three window!

- Tim

39WILLZ likes this.
  5. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Sounds like a great end to a bad start well done,,,,, make me feel a little better thanks Wayne

6. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey Tim your totally right the past has gone just got to go forward with a badass 3 window. Cheers Wayne

Baumi likes this.
  7. junkman8888

junkman8888

I don't like sanding bondo off as you can end up thinning the metal. My advice is to use a propane torch with a "fish-mouth" tip (to spread the heat). Get the bondo nice and bubbly then scrape off what you can with a putty knife, whatever is left behind can be scrubbed off using a wooden-handled wire brush. This is best done outside, away from other flammables as you can't avoid making toxic smoke and flaming chunks of body filler. This also works with really thick paint.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    39WILLZ likes this.
  8. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

There have been some real pieces of shit on the HAMB that have been repaired into show rides, by wizards on your side of the pond. Talent & patience, it can be done.

kidcampbell71 and 39WILLZ like this.
  9. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Thanks for the advice,,, sounds like you've had the same fun before...

nunattax and 6inarow like this.
  10. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Thanks for the positive attitude which is what I need ,,,

6inarow likes this.
  11. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

I'm sorry man, but I think you should "OUT" the guy, I've made 2 posts on the HAMB on buyer beware. You could actually stop this guy from doing this to other people. Do the right thing, you'll probably see others were scammed by this guy and you could've stopped him years ago. My 2 cents/pence lol

Gasser 57, 6inarow and thunderbirdesq like this.
  12. I can commensurate with you. While I knew how crappy my 34 body was, it still required a complete re-do. [8 years on the body at my slow pace] My car has only a teeny bit of filler at the top of the grill shell. It's body is bare under the urethane primer coat with absolutely no filler in it. Makes me feel good every time I walk out to the garage. Keep at it or cut your losses and sell it locally.
    I probably have more in parts and time that it'll ever be worth but I really, really wanted a chopped 33-34 coupe. 34B4.jpg 34floors1_09small.jpg 34lake2.jpg

13. ray ramsay

ray ramsay
    from scotland

hi Wayne , I am sure it will turn out as good as your Willys. Here is what i bought in Canada 2018 and imported into Scotland .It was a bit off a shock when it arrived as well but it is now rolling and the majority of the bodywork done

good luck with the build

cheers Ray

Attached Files:

14. I'm with you, so far it's a one sided story.

Someone put a lot of work into trying to save the ol girl from the crusher, it's an 85 year old body, who knows what it's been through, now it just needs taken a step further.

Blue-Collar-HotRods likes this.
  15. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey Ray how's it going ? Would rather of bought that 5w you can see what your buying take easy dude.,,,,

Algoma56 likes this.
  16. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Quality ,,,,,,,,, Not what I'd call saving a car from the crusher more like bodging the hell out of a car to fill your wallet, this was fresh work not something had had been done years ago to keep it on the road.
    Let's just hope it doesn't ever happen to you ,,,,,,,,,, have a great day

MBog, ffr1222k, Gasser 57 and 4 others like this.
  17. low down A

low down A

that kinda work done on a 700 hundred dollar beater is common, that kinda work done on a twenty thousand, plus 34 is criminal. there should not even be a debate over it.

VANDENPLAS, 39WILLZ and 427 sleeper like this.
  18. Dirk35

Dirk35

Sorry to hear that. Looks like you’re taking it in the right direction though by fixing it “right”. At least the seller of my Model A was honest as my Model A wasn't miss-represented. I knew it had poor patchwork and the seller pointed out all of the bad spots that needed repaired properly.

If it makes you feel any better, my Model A had filler almost a full inch thick in some spots. They also just welded 20ga galvanized sheet over anything that was rusted (without cutting out any of the rusted sheet metal), then slathered it with more bondo.

So I’m replacing all of lower panels and sub rails all the way around. I don't have pictures which show them finish welded after I put the patches in; I just kept making tacks, grind them down, hammer/dolly the shrinkage, then repeat till the entire panel is welded.

So chin up, you’ll get it fixed in no time.

IMG_2580.JPG
    IMG_2581.JPG IMG_2583.JPG IMG_2588.JPG IMG_2591.JPG IMG_2595.JPG
    IMG_2609.JPG IMG_2606.JPG IMG_2788.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    kidcampbell71, VANDENPLAS and 39WILLZ like this.
  19. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Your much better at words than me,,, you hit the nail on the head thank you Wayne

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey ya model A is coming along real good and thanks for the inspiration ,,,,,,,,

Dirk35 likes this.
  21. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

When life hands you lemons... Sucks for sure but overcome and you'll be better for it. it's a 3w which means it should be chopped anyways so you will get to cut out some of the crap for a good reason! The good news is you still have a 34 3w which is bitchin right from the start!! If it was easy, everyone would build hot rods! Keep your chin up! Oh and thanks for sending some of your royals to our part of the country... hopefully we don't have to pay for them! :D

22. The only thing left from my original Henry J purchase (complete driving car) is the main body shell and one quarter panel, the only thing left from my 41 Chevy p/u purchase (complete driving truck) is the cab and doors and a garage caved in and smashed the roof of that in a couple feet, shit happens and you move forward or bale out.
    All I'm saying is that it's a one sided story that you got people wanting to lynch someone over but you didn't show an ad stating it was featured as a pristine body for X amount of money. I'm from Missouri which is known as the "show me state" I'd like to be shown both sides of the story is all, before joining a lynch mob.

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I don't know what the OP paid for that coupe but I would have bought it and not looked back.

Sand blast it, beat it into shape and fix the body. It's just metal it can be fixed.

Blue-Collar-HotRods and 39WILLZ like this.
  24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Everybody has an opinion.... and we all know the rest of that story. But if the person you bought that from is still active on the HAMB, you bet your ass i would post his name and call him out on it. You might save another HAMBER from same fate....... My opinion and A-hole .

39WILLZ likes this.
  25. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

I don't get where the lynch mod comes into it,,,,, I started a thread to hi light what is out there for sale and to be careful on what you buy as I jumped in a little to quick instead of doing enough research that is all.
    As they say a picture can say a 1000 words, majority of people are seeing the same as me and as you they have the right to there opinion.
    I have rebuilt much worse than this as with our climate we are used to rust repairs on a major scale.
    I will repair the 34 to a badass Hotrod just will take a little longer than planned.
    I'm sorry if you or anyone else has got the wrong end of the stick with this post as I've said its just to be careful what you buy that is all, Many thanks Wayne,,,,,,,,

Thor1 and swade41 like this.
  26. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

I know what your saying but as it was around 6 years ago I can not find anything in my history and look back into my Hamb history too with no luck.

27. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

I'm on it now and will post up pics when I have some...

ClarkH likes this.
  28. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Don't beat yourself up to much. You had no way of knowing. I would have bought that too. I probably still would even knowing if the price was right. I'd rather deal with that than a rot box. Good luck with it.

39WILLZ likes this.
  29. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Thanks dude just going forward now,,,,,

30. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have one of the Most Bitchin Willys on the Planet,and I have every bit of confidence this will turn out Great.I didn't see you forming a posse.Just showing the facts.Good Luck.

39WILLZ likes this.