Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Intimidating Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Jan 10, 2020.

1. loudbang

loudbang

This one I posted a couple months ago and it was stuck in my memory and had to go find it.

Imaging being at a stop light way back in the early 60's and this monster pulls up alongside you . :eek:

Really wild for way back then

1intimadating.jpg

2. echo ed

echo ed
    from fla.

The Younts brothers did build beautiful model dragsters and had a series in the short lived Rod & Custom Model Car magazine on how they did it. I always wondered what happened to them, anyone know ?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is an interesting article on this car, the owners and the car's history in a Hot Rod Deluxe magazine. I have all HRD mags, but damned if I can find that particular article again. I think that it was around 2008/2009 time frame.

4. 1940Willys

1940Willys

over the top.jpg Yep I didn't see this posted!

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

This shot is missing the body, but Mopar guys will know the story...
    [​IMG]

6. I'm not a Mopar guy, but I know the High & Mighty when I see it.

deadbeat, BigO, RodStRace and 3 others like this.
  7. -Brent-

-Brent-

I can't see anything?

loudbang likes this.
  8. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

highandmighty8.jpg
    RE: Post #97

9. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I'm not mistaken I believe that car still exists in pretty much the same form as it was in that photo. So some unsuspecting Prius driver could conceivably have that same experience today. :D

mad mikey, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  10. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I saw the same article. I can't find it either....

loudbang likes this.
  11. -Brent-

-Brent-

12. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

14. clem

clem

Maybe your avatar.............

loudbang likes this.
  15. clem

clem

16. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clem has it figured out..

loudbang and clem like this.
  17. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

18. clem

clem

I know that it’s been posted plenty of times, but ;
    This one may be more intimidating to the driver.................

5C8F35ED-CEE7-4DD2-9D28-C88921296CC7.jpeg

19. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Posted this same pic a while back in a different thread and it got deleted.. Apparently, someone here thought it was a r@t rod!

clem likes this.
  20. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Someone beat me to the High & Mighty. I think this vantage point does the car more justice. This was considered to be "intimidating" for it's time.

[​IMG]

21. -Brent-

-Brent-

1_2687_orig.jpg

I can spot a number of reasons why this altered had to be an absolute handful.

22. In the early nineties i watched Lou Sattelmaier run this beast at the Indy Goodguys event with a less altered chassis and a blown Hemi. Awesome car. I wonder what became of it after his passing? Sattelmaier Bros II b&w.jpg Sattelmaier Bros II.jpg Sattlemaier, Lou 32 ford.jpg

23. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Something about the Competition Coupes always turned my crank! 74393322_2542730935784807_1613275873421557760_o.jpg

24. -Brent-

-Brent-

The car was sold at auction, though it was much different (modernized) but looking in good or restored shape.

loudbang likes this.
  25. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

26. -Brent-

-Brent-

27. 97

Gabby Bleeker.jpg Gabby Bleaker's Bantam, sure fits the thread, but personally I think the earlier iteration with blown Olds was far more intimidating . He ran 9.7s in 1960 with a 420 inch olds when the years fastest dragsters were only on 9.3.
    By time the Hemi rebuild was done there were dozens of Fuel Altereds , all with more or less the same car, built to the familiar AA/FA formula.

28. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I still have my 1961 HotRod Yearbook that has event pics of the car, and said it spun the tires so fast it melted holes in the starting line.
    Fast forward to 1984, and a bunch of us head to Chowchilla for the boat drags, as a friend from SoCal was racing a Blown Gas Flatbottom with a big Arias engine. We get there and find them in the pits, and also find that the same Texas company sponsored the Top Fuel boat of Eddie "The Thrill" Hill- along with his very gracious wife, Ercie. He also had a sweet lifted, hopped up Bronco to haul the boat to the water. He was the champ and record holder at the time. We were all staying at the same hotel in Fresno, and we noticed that the hot tub was right outside the window of our room. Screen came off, and cannonballs out the window commenced. So the next day we get yakking in the pits and I tell him about the Yearbook, and he grinned and shook his head, said that critter was just crazy lol.. He gave me one of his boat T-shirts and autographed it, whole weekend was great. Flash forward ten years, Sears Point right after the four-second run. I dug out the T-shirt and wore it, and found his pit and stood by the rope. Pretty soon he spied the shirt, and kept looking at me- pretty soon he came over and says hey, I know you.. Yep, Chowchilla and Irvine Lake in 84- remember the cannonballs into the hot tub? He starts laughing and shaking his head, and signs my shirt again with the new date. They were genuinely nice people, and did everything to put on a good show

29. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I'm still partial to this one, has always been fun- original 406/405 car, 427 with a 4K converter and 5.14 gears. A little true story from the 70's..

A few years ago I had the 406 car out, and at the time it had the 14:1 427 in it, .660 Delong cam, Milodon gear drive, cross-ram with two 650's, and the 3" exhaust with straight-thru truck resonators- it ain't real silent, and with a solid left engine mount, the whole car shakes at idle. So I'm stopped at a red light coming into town, and a Rabbit convertible pulls up behind me. After a few seconds, this incredible chick jumps out, perfect Farah Fawcett racehorse legs in very short side-slit shorts, short tank top, great tan, and comes up and starts waving her arms and yelling at me- "DO YOU REALLY THINK IT'S FAIR TO SUBJECT OTHER PEOPLE TO THE NOISE OF THIS CAR???" She was so mad she never noticed that "The Girls" had escaped from her skimpy top and were helping give me hell...
    Speechless, I was..

Evil Norcal2.jpg

Evil Twin.jpg