Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Could of cried 34 3w

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39WILLZ, Jan 14, 2020.

1. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Bought this 34 3w or is it ?????? for my wife around 6 yrs ago, always wanted a steel roadster but just couldnt find one so looking on the Hamb I found this 34 which turns out to be the biggest fffff bodge I've ever come across.
    Was told it was his grandpa car who had died and was selling it for his Gran, Ye right,,,,,,
    I was defo sucked in by the bull shite.
    Got no one to blame but myself for not getting enough info, shipped from Canada to UK picked up from the docks and could of cried there was not a panel that was not full of bondo and I mean full I guess the guy had shares in a bondo company.
    I've not looked at it for 6 yrs and decided 2020 would be the year for me to discover what was really hidden under all that crap, well doesn't get any better now I don't even think it is one car probably two may even be more.
    Can't believe there are such nasty people out there that do this sort of crap work just to rip another hotrod guy off.
    A few pic of the little beauty I have purchased.

Attached Files:

Baumi, chryslerfan55, j-jock and 3 others like this.
  2. my condolences, at least you got some sheetmetal to work with. Better than working with a pile of rust.

Not to make you feel bad, this is what mine looks like naked

upload_2020-1-14_12-53-7.png

and here is a newer on with some more clothes on
    upload_2020-1-14_12-58-34.png

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    slug, nunattax, reagen and 6 others like this.
  3. Well nothing can be done to make ya feel better. Just know your not the only person that has happened to. I have a 34 Chevy project that started out much the same. My advice has always been when buying long distance the best money spent is on a round trip Air Plane ticket. Had my 34 Chevy customer followed that advice for sure he wouldn't have bought it either. At this point he's only about 60K in the project and 10 years of On and Off the project. I think about another 60 may get er done. The real humor in it is that only the Back half of the Body and one Door skin is all that has been used from the so called Car he bought.

kidcampbell71, Spooky and 39WILLZ like this.
  4. As bad as it is it can be fixed, you ether go forward or bail out now and go backward.

I have seen much worse made into a nice car, you just have to decide if you are going to keep beating yourself up like you have or the past six years or roll your sleeves up and build yourself a hot rod. HRP

Xman, Driver50x, mad mikey and 19 others like this.

5. Doesn't look horrible. I guess if you paid for a pristine body and got that, I see where you're coming from

6. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

That's a nice one dude do ya wanna do a swap,,,,,, how much is it chopped gonna chop mine now I'm at it cheers Wayne

safetythird likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, buyer be ware! - easy to get too excited by "a deal" and allow common sense to get side tracked - a friend has similar story, except he even flew himself and a car buddy from West Coast to East Coast to look at car - estate sale for '37 Ford coupe with big block - decided to drive it home - on the way had major engine failure - tire failure - front suspension separated while on highway - finally had to be shipped rest of way home - body was bondo from one end to the other - even dash board filled with bondo - on top of that he felt committed to make it right - after being worked on by 3 different big name shops, and many thousands of dollars, it did end up really nice - yep, buyer be ware!

8. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Totally agree I'm in it for the long hall now, have done much worse in the past, just saying was a shock and wasn't expecting it.

reagen and j-jock like this.
  9. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Feel for him, yep jumped in head first but hey we're get there in the end, it's steel and it's real so that'll keep me going.

reagen and raven like this.
  10. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Yes , it could be worse. I purchased a car long distance, pics looked promising for a project car. Got the car and found out the roof had apparently been used as a trampoline, then as a mosquito pond only to have the person who sold it to me pop it back up for the photo shoot!:eek: So yes, it could be worse.

39WILLZ likes this.
  11. I can honestly say "I DO NOT know how much the chop is" It was done when I got the car, The chop was done years ago. It was done with gas weld and lead.

upload_2020-1-14_13-23-25.png

upload_2020-1-14_13-22-58.png

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

There are lots of hambers in the world. I'm sure someone close would have at least checked it out for you.
    I've had a hamber here lately steer us away from buying a 59 pickup. He saved us a whole day of traveling.
    I too have viewed many cars, hambers were interested in.
    The paint on this car did very well to hide how this was actually three cars welded together.
    I want to know what hamber would misrepresent a car like this??????????

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    39WILLZ likes this.
  13. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

I
    I now wish I had looked into it more, I've started working on it this week and I'm going to stay on it till its done. Not going to mention names as I think things will get worse he knows who he is just hope he sleeps at night.

reagen likes this.
  14. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Nice chop, I've just took 3" out the front pillars and 2,1/2" out of the rear I'll stick some pics up when done.

15. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

16. 62rebel

62rebel

I have to admit it looks like forty miles of bad road to start. Got to look at it as a blank slate and be positive from here on out. Shame that you let it sit for so long, you might have burned out your enthusiasm for it. It's all metal, and metal can be smoothed out. A 34 3w is my Holy grail, but I will probably never have one.

39WILLZ likes this.
  17. CC-Mo

CC-Mo

Jeez! Yeah I'd not be happy either.

39WILLZ likes this.
  18. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

As bad as it seems, it is still a 34 steel 3w and not everybody has one. Do a nice job on it and we will be watching. Good luck.

Cosmo49, slv63, Torkwrench and 6 others like this.
  19. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Had a 39 Willys to keep me busy so just shut it away until I was in the right mind for it, now I'm plugging away at it its putting a smile on my face.

Jet96, j-jock and 62rebel like this.
  20. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Attached Files:

Baumi, MBog, METAL MELTDOWN and 3 others like this.
  21. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

T
    thanks dude Ye busy on it now I'll post some pics as I go.

nochop likes this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can you dip it somewhere over there?

39WILLZ likes this.
  23. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

24. goldmountain

goldmountain

It doesn't look that bad, but then again, with a high initial price and shipping, I think I wouldn't be happy either.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

39WILLZ likes this.
  25. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Hey, I got a nice chopped glass body that doesn't need any work. I'll trade ya for yours!:eek::D

39WILLZ likes this.
  26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well maybe we Canadians are getting paid back when Harry and his bride move here! But as others have said it should be able to be made right but will take time. Great project to learn hammer and dolly skills and don't forget about those "shrinking discs" as well.

27. Try to save it , even if you didn't it would make a great vintage stock car for the show circuit .

39WILLZ likes this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think that in a case like this I’d be naming names and maybe even taking out a full page ad in his local newspaper or renting a billboard in the town the crook lives in :eek:

Smokey34, harpo1313, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  29. belair

belair

Yep^^^^ - you will be a super-duper metal man when you get that thing straightened out. Sorry you got lied to, but as was said, at least you HAVE a 34. Best of luck. Reminds me of what a guy said about an old car he had-"That thing's been hit more times than Joe Louis.

Jet96, raven, Thor1 and 2 others like this.