Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Binks #7 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mister Bill, Jan 4, 2020.

1. mister Bill

mister Bill

I bought a Binks #7 in 1974. I am spraying Morton Eliminator high build surfacer with a tip listed as medium on the spec sheet, also listed as a small tip?? It sprays for a second or two, then sprays a shot of air for less than a second. Think I had a problem like this painting straight Rustoleum. I know there are some siphon feed fanatics out there-I am wondering if you think that I would be happy with a hundred dollar ish gravity feed gun that comes with a 1.3 and a 1.7 tip, compared to what I have. I read somewhere that the Binks is a pretty good gun and people still like it. Also-it is not spraying straight, I soaked the tip in lacquer thinner and got some junk out, but it still is not spraying right.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  2. Go to the dreaded Harbor Freight and buy a $25/30 HVLP with a 2.0 tip or bigger.

3. demon452

demon452
    from Michigan

I would just go to harbor freight and get there pos gravity gun for surfacer or (high build). I tend to spray high build with 1.8 or 2.0. Block sanding it anyways. I would buy a better gun for final finishes.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  4. BJR

BJR

Get a piece of paper and spray straight thinner through the Binks gun with the pattern about 3/4 open. If it doesn't spray a nice even fan with straight thinner the gun is partially plugged up. If it sprays a nice pattern then your primer is too thick for the tip size and or air pressure.

5. Bunks #7. The gun that sprayed millions of cars and house cabinets.
    It’s time for a change my friend.
    We all probably like our newer cordless tools. I do. Advancements in battery technology has changed a lot. Now it’s time to try a gravity feed paint gun.
    With todays expensive paints and primers, you get to spray all that you put in the gun. The lower air pressures means less overspray. This means more material stays on the car.
    It’s time.

Look up the tech sheet on what you are spraying. It will have recommended tip size and air pressure. If you purchase a new gun to spray a product, this info will help ya pick one out.

jvo, Tri-power37 and jimgoetz like this.
  6. I have a Devilbiss finishline 4 that has 3 tips. I use the 1.8 for high build primer. Some of those I thin 10%. It flows out better and I have less sanding to do. That's more money than the H.F. version but better results. It also requires more air than your 7 so check that out before you buy anything. If you don't have enough air, an a turbine from TP tools could be a good investment.

7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

More than likely the tip as you call it isn't tight and is sucking air.
    You want a new gun just for the fact that they put more product on the project and not in the air.
    You will save enough money in primer to pay for a cheap HVLP gun.

anthony myrick likes this.
  8. patterg2003

patterg2003

Agree with BJR. Run lacquer thinner through the gun to check its pattern and then let sit for a night with thinner in the gun. Then run more thinner through gun until it has a proper fan and no particulates. If that fails then buy a good gun that will have parts available for another 40 years.

loudbang likes this.
  9. oldcootnco

oldcootnco

All the tips listed are good, one more to check is the vent hole on the lid for the cup. I've had the opportunity to spray with a #7 many years ago. They require a lot of air. 13 cfm. @65 psi. for spraying acrylic enamel. That was the norm back in 1973. The clouds of over spray were outrageous. I have switched to Devilbis Finishline and I drilled out the tip on a HF gravity feed for primer.

427 sleeper likes this.
  10. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Congratulations to you for making a tool last from the year 1974 and congratulations to Binks for making a tool that lasts from 1974.
    Now don’t through your 74 Binks away...put it up on a self with other tools you can’t bear to through away and go treat yourself to a cheap to medium priced gravity feed primer gun.
    You deserve a nice new primer gun and your 74 Binks deserves not to be thrown away.

Or just throw the damn thing away!

11. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I've got a Binks model 19 that's over 50 years old. It's been rebuilt a couple of times and I modified it to have an anti drip breather like an old Sharps. I think the last time I used it was 9 or 10 years ago and it would work fine I bet.

samurai mike and anthony myrick like this.
  12. Don’t doubt, those guns are well built
    But spraying $400+ gallon clears, $200 gallon primers or $100 a quart basecoats I’m using a new gun.

jimgoetz, oldcootnco and Tri-power37 like this.
  13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I truly understand the concerns of material consumption, and for solid colors I would use an HVLP gun. As far as metallic goes, I would use the model 7, for the last coat of color atleast, just to get a nice, even spread on the metallic.

14. Maybe for a single stage metallic but not for basecoat metallic

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    ABONES likes this.
  15. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I agree. I painted my 27 with a Concours gun from Eastwood. I used the same gun for primer and color with different tips. Single stage cut and buffed, no clear. I remember having the same kind of problems shooting the old lacquer primer as Mister Bill a couple of times when I was using a siphon feed gun. DSCN1236.JPG

16. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree that the posts here about gun cleaning might be the best approach to curing your problem. I had a cheap imported siphon-feed gun ("Binks 7 copy"??) that I bought 35-plus years ago. I kept it in working order using most of those same methods. Sprayed lacquer and epoxy primers as well as acrylic lacquer and catalyzed single stage urethane color with good results on several car projects and never once changed the tip size. (But then I'm probably a hack!) But, I was due for an upgrade after all that time so I bought the Harbor Freight HVLP pair. Used the smaller touch up gun to spray the primer and satin black in the engine bay of my car and it worked great with very little overspray.
    So my advice is: Upgrade guns. You've had your use out of that Binks. You're due.
    Then you could do what I did. Make a "Best Paint" award/coin bank and present it at a local show. ;)

2012_bestpaint.jpg

17. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I still use my Thor #7 for primer. Banks bought the patten and produced the Binks #7 all the parts interchange. I use it when I shoot Enamel

jimgoetz and samurai mike like this.
  18. mister Bill

mister Bill

Thank you for all of your responses. Works great. Wonderful. Very happy.

Eastwood Contour 2.jpg

anthony myrick likes this.