Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What do dislike about our hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whiskeyding, Jan 12, 2020.

1. mlake01

mlake01

1. Blocking and prep work. I love sheet metal forming, welding, shaping, and the actual spraying of color. Anything in between - hell no.

2. Curmudgeonly people who show up at car shows with super nice cars, extract a pair of his & hers monogrammed lawn chairs from the trunk, and proceed to sit behind their car all day with a scowl on their face like they wished they were somewhere else. If life here sucks that bad, please go somewhere else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mountainman2

mountainman2

1. How every vehicle with 4 (or more) wheels and older than 1965 has become a "hot rod" regardless of size, shape, or lack of ANY modifications (fuzzy dice don't make it a hot rod)
    2. Higher $$$ for "Nice patina". (yo shit's rusted)
    :p

3. Caprice89

Caprice89

After market replacement parts, like window regulators (just put on the 3rd set in 2 years), window seals, door handles, etc. All made out of crapy materials. Cost a fortune and takes ages to get to me (living in Europe, so duh).

Sent from my online shouting device

19Eddy30, Baumi and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I get to talk to people all over the world! And find out we are all on the same page!

Bones

5. Yeah all the buzz words

6. Ziggster

Ziggster

Too many old farts, but wait, I'm now one. At least that's what my kids say. Lol.

7. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

the time it takes to finish a car, will it ever be done!!

1959Nomad likes this.
  8. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

Safety Nazis that don't have a clue

9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Thought of one that eats at my liver.
    The "I'm a poor boy" schtick. "Sell me this for 1/10th value because I'm a poor boy"
    Seems some wear it as a badge of honor.
    Get a better job or a second one.
    Another is the ones who do all their car searching online and complain they can't find a old car. There are still many good projects to be found but a person stands a better chance of finding one by not staring at a computer but staring out a windshield. Put the phone down or get off the computer and physically go look. Drive 3 hours one direction and wind your way back. Burn some gas. Talk to people. Stuff is out there.
    Unless you're a "poor boy" and expect it handed to you.
    Living up to my tag line today,LOL

Chavezk21, 19Eddy30, Hnstray and 5 others like this.
  10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Painting. I love to fabricate but hate to paint. I will pay someone every time.

....and tendonitis from using hand shears....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

The EPA and how they screwed with just about every chemical, paint, oil, gasoline, and chrome plating that we use!
    Don't get me wrong I don't want to "poison the planet", but they are in every aspect of our hobby.
    This is not a political rant.
    KK

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Stupid threads on the HAMB to boost post numbers. Drama. Lawn chairs. Pastels. Grey tweed. Posers. The words "Rat Rod". The fact that I'm not a great fabricator. The fact I'm not a very good welder. The fact that my shop only holds 4 cars. Guys they complain about fiberglass cars. Guys that complain about rat rods. Guys that complain about boomers. Guys that complain about millennial. Guys that complain. I feel better now...

Just Gary, Marty S, rockable and 12 others like this.
  13. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Power parkers, trophy whores & trailer queens.

14. Car clubs that do not foster skills building and are OK with off the shelf “Hot Rods”.

Far too many billet and repro parts available

People who leave well enough alone.

Hondas

Dooley, 19Eddy30 and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. 4 pages of dislikes! Some of you need a different hobby.

16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Know it all no nothings piss me off to no end.

Chavezk21 and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

Hey, I live in the EU so multiply EVERYTHING. We need to type approve any change from stock and it means an engineer's report plus some stamp duties every time you enter a change, so the way to do it is complete all the changes first and then go trough the unpleasant exercise. But due to time limitations there's no way I'll finish it all in one season so at the moment I'm doing the things which are grey so that I'd be able to enjoy the car this summer. Oh and we have the Greta Thunberg faction in the current administration (in case you ask: AOC would be considered as mainstream member of that party) so fuck knows what nonsense they'll come up in the next couple of years.

Caprice89 likes this.
  18. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I usually have Mondays off, so I´m using that day to work on my cars. Sometimes I´m getting a little burnt out especially if I got a little behind in keeping my cars maintained and there are of course always a few things to fix on them. I changed oil and brake fluid on the 40 and the 55 Chevy last Monday and took the waste oil and BF over to my neighbor´s who is running a professional garage. That place was crowded, one customer was complaining about his almost new VW´s oil consumption, which was not acceptable for him at 3 qts @ 600 miles. Another one had a 40k mile BMW Diesel that had carboned up intake manifolds and valves, cleaning the head by walnut blasting would be 1,5 k , the plastic intake was not cleanable which adds another 1,5k. Another needed 6 new injecotors @ 500€ a piece, plus labor, but they are a bitch to remove and often braek of in the head.... PITA and $$$ of course. I gladly walked home after I disposed my waste oil and went to happily change my 10$ a pair control arm bushings on my 55 Chevy , I knew were bad for at least 30k miles....
    It´s good to change perspectives once in a while.

61Cruiser likes this.
  19. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The arrogance of many who tend to look down their nose at different types of cars.
    The old saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is very true here!

Sometimes even on this site many seem to feel that only certain cars belong here and the rest should simply find another place to post.
    This type of thinking is just one of the reasons why old cars are slowing fading away into history as the old timers die.

Some of the larger car shows have opened up how many years old a car has to be to enter their show and in many cases this was done so the promoters can pay all the costs associated with putting on the show.
    I know many old timers who were unhappy with this move and never went back again!
    I understand that you think this is killing the show but what else should a promoter do when they put on a show and not enough cars show up to pay the costs? Should they double the entry fee?
    Guys times are changing and either you learn to change and understand what's going on or you just sit home in the garage with your car.

My local car show on Friday nights let's all cars come and they can enter and pay if they want to.

The day's of only cars from the 30's through the 60's is over and there is no way I can see to change that. unless you like going to cruze nights and car shows and looking at the same 10 old cars every week.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

Gasser 57, Dooley, Ribbedroof and 6 others like this.
  20. wicarnut

wicarnut

I like all parts of the Hobby, some more than others, only dislike I can think of is the "Expert" explaining to me how I should have done it and that's easy to fix, I walk away, I do not let some AssHat rain on my parade.

21. Being negative is my hobby. That is why I prefer Chebby to Ford. Negative ground. :D :D :D

61Cruiser, SR100, Boneyard51 and 6 others like this.
  22. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

You can't fix stupid....

WiredSpider and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

I suspect the HAMB is a place where the misfits, outcasts, odd balls, and other riff raff have found a place to belong. Along with that comes a contentious atmosphere that can expose the lines that defines the genre and vehicle class structure that some believe is the way it should be.. I see it as a sink or swim situation. We have “this place” to congregate, network, and share with the world what we collectively have as a knowledge base on a multitude of the aspects of our car culture. If we can’t get along then we are doomed to extinction as the dinosaurs.. Nobody is getting any younger we will all eventually time out and the hobby will change whether we like it or not.. Being more hospitable to our fellow car enthusiasts that have their own ideas and visions would make for a more friendly place but I know that some will never change.. The car hobby is ever changing and with the way things are going there are sure to be some big shifts in the culture. Many of the youth today use ride sharing apps to get around and have no interest in driving. Ad autonomous vehicles to the mix and cities that are legislating the fees it will impose on vehicles driving through their jurisdictions at different times of day will only contribute to the costs associated with operating a daily driver vehicle let alone a vintage vehicle.. Maybe we are just a bunch of opinionated dinosaurs and “that is the way..”

Boneyard51 and Hnstray like this.
  24. LAROKE

LAROKE

You're overthinkin' this. Now my head hurts.

25. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Folks that pick apart other peoples cars
    Bolt on parts that don’t

Barn Hunter likes this.
  26. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

X2! Especially the people who'll pick your car apart that don't even own an older vehicle!

Boneyard51 and Barn Hunter like this.
  27. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Fake race car numbers and fake speed shop names
    Trailer queens

Boneyard51 likes this.
  28. Stonebird

Stonebird

Looks like I agree with several others. The correct answer is A-Holes. If you don't like it keep your mouth shut and move on.

29. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Buying insurance.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  30. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Overheating hot rods. I went to Louisville this past year and the traffic was backed up on the south exit ramp to a stand still. About 70% of the hot rods had their hoods up trying to get some heat out even some left their hoods up and idled along the ramp trying to cool down their old beasts.

Boneyard51 likes this.