Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What do you like about our Hobby ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 13, 2020.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The people, collecting parts mmm.. I love me some parts:), the technical aspects but the best part is listening to others stories of their experiences and learning the history of this hobby . I have met Paul Smith , 1973 NHRA drag racing champion and I went to a garage sale out in the country and met an older gentleman who dated Ed Iskendarian's daughter. We sat down and talked for an hour and half. The coolest 1 1/2 I have spent .

2. 34Larry

34Larry

For me it begins with the creations built and driven, that then morphs into the friendship created by that first meeting,................... (People)........... that a lot have mentioned.

Boneyard51 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

seems like a silly question to me. the thing I like most about this hobby is the old cars. if I liked people I would join a bowling team.

mountainman2, BLUSHU, Petejoe and 5 others like this.
  4. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg
    Amen, brother !

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I don’t know if this should go here or the dislike thread! I ,like 31Dodger ,have learned a lot here. But what gets me is, that I have learned ,twice, things I have been doing all my life were wrong! And I would have bet the farm, I was doing the right thing!
    But don’t tell anyone that I admitted I was wrong!

Bones

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  6. ................Secret's safe with me.;)

7. Those of us with no friends will not tell anyone....:eek:

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. You wouldn't like them, cos they're bowlers. I hate spending Super Blowl Sunday with my wife's friends. I hate football. I'd rather be in the garage with my Hot Rod friends! just say'en:rolleyes:

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

The people, ever since the first car show I went to when I was 10 years old. Nice cars have nice owners for the most part. I've meet a lot of nice people over the years, sure miss the ones that are looking over us now. Bob

10. Cool photo Ed. Is that your church, and wife? That's the reason I put A/C in mine. So the wife will ride with me to church, Wal-Mart, ice cream, etc.:) That's another thing I like about our hobby. Hot Rods are useful too. Ron......... 20171013_175232.jpg 20170924_131506.jpg

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hobby? I thought it was a way of life......

Lil32, -Brent-, scotty t and 7 others like this.
  12. Not having to drive boring cars like everybody else on the road :D

fastcar1953 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. To some of us they are Mark. But I tell the wife it's just a hobby, and yeah, they're just old cars too. { RIGHT }!:rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  14. I love it all... The way of life, listening to the old timers and their stories, remembering the way it was back in the day, the build and maintenance of it, the drive to anywhere, the friends and camaraderie everywhere in the country, the shows, swap meets, the hunt, you name it. I love it all!

Thank you guys, Hot Rodding has been very good to me. :)

15. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep & Yep + A/C !

16. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

Thanks to you Montana1, I believe you have hit all the buttons for me as well.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I posted a song on one of the other threads, figured I 'd spread the love :cool:
    How 'bout a little Tom T Hall parody?

I like parts that don't suck,
    A hot rod shop truck,
    Low crusin cars, and bars.

I like roadsters in the sun,
    Cruise ins that are fun,
    Hangin with my buds, and suds

And I like HAMB too.

18. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Like 49ratfink says: its about old cars and not people but I have got to talk to a lot of nice people because of cars. My wife has been my best friend the most when it comes to cars, she has always been great support and she loves them as much as I do. And I love old motorcycles too.

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Give me about a year and a half and I’ll be retired and hopefully life around here will have slowed down and I’ll hunt you up and we’ll go terrorize the countryside as much as a couple of retired old farts can do!

I’ve always been pretty much a loner, too. Spent the biggest part of my life in a truck cab by myself, I’ve built thousands of cars going down the road and never spent a cent,LOL !
    I enjoy being around like minded folks of all ages. Don’t get much of a chance anymore, life is just so busy around here anymore.

My automotive tastes run wide, I can enjoy a lot of well built vehicles. And Bones, I’m a Ford guy too, so I can dish it out on the Chevy guys. Just don’t tell anybody I also own a OT late model Pontiac with a Chevy “ corporate “ engine! Oops, did I just say that?

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  20. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

It's the cars, driving, racing . The smiles ,the speed. Driving something different. The style ,the look. Reactions going down the interstate. Stopping to get gas and talking to people. Way of life.

21. gene-koning

gene-koning

For me, cars are a way to meet people. I'm not very good at meeting new people, starting conversations with someone I don't know is difficult at best. The cars and trucks give me something to talk about to the people I meet that may have one, see one they like (or don't like), or might like the one I'm driving.
    I like the challenge of building and problem solving that is part of building a new to me ride. As I get older, that part of the hobby/life style is getting more difficult to preform.
    I really like driving the old rides. The concept of being able to put lots of miles on something I created with my own hands is very rewarding. My wife has been involved with the hobby all along the way. She enjoys those rides in the cars and trucks I've built as much as I do.
    The past 4 years we have been taking the coupe on vacations, the car, my wife, and I have been in 26 states in the last 7 summers. Every stop presents another opportunity to visit with someone we have never met because our car jogs memories of past oval track racing from their past. It always brings smiles to peoples faces as they tell us their stories.

The challenge of building, the thrill of driving something you have built yourself, and the chance to meet and make new friends with like minded people are all good reasons to like this hobby, but being able to remind people of pleasant memories and listen to their stories of happy old racing events from the past, has to be the icing on the cake. Gene

22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

My shop ,my tools and my cars . I walk out the shop door and then its my wife, my animals and my friends. The only thing that sucks in life is working for a living! Takes to much time away from the fun stuff. But the fun stuff has to be paid for somehow! lol Larry

23. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Just like last night, I went through my old list of contacts from 15 years ago and enjoyed talking to most of the 'ole fellas. It was a little sad, however, that a large percentage of them have passed away. I also enjoy the thrill of hunting parts, going to other's garages to shoot the breeze, working in the shop by myself, getting up on a nice crisp morning to go to a swap meet, going to cruise-ins, etc. I just joined the Early Ford V8 Club and have started to get involved with that. I know I bring him up in most of my posts, but I surely miss my grandpa, though.

24. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

What do I like ? The people are the greatest , I have never meet a sour azz true Hot Rodder ! If they are a true Hot rodder they are truly genuinely caring , God fearing people .

25. I like it when the officer lets you off with just a warning, and says nice car.

Chili Phil, jim snow, bowie and 2 others like this.
  26. jim snow

jim snow

Oh yeah. Been there.lol. Snowman

27. OK I have given this some deep deep thought and have decided that I should add to what I like about the hobby. I like our hobby because I like to screw with people. One of my favorite things in the world is to get that alcohol smell really goin and walk up to a perfect strangers cooler and open it and make me a sammich. o_O:p:D:D:D and walk off. ;)

28. Like most here the people/ social side was the best part of it for me. For a variety of reasons the social side of things is almost non-existent for me lately. Maybe I'm a dickhead!:D I still love old cars tho!

greaseSlinger57 likes this.
  29. 90% of my driving is in my old, rusty, filthy work truck. 8% in my nice new-ish pickup. 2% in something I like. It's a crying shame I tell ya!:rolleyes: