Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Ed Roth "bubble car" another one ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stillrunners, May 23, 2017.

1. A signature on a loose piece of metal is an autograph, that's all. Cool project for someone, though.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Colin HD

Colin HD

Good recall Jeff, forgot about the 'steam car' and the prerunner to the Kolob trike.
    Globehopper is as Galpin/GAS and looks very diffrent to this shell.

3. fuzzface

fuzzface

Only thing that might be Roth related is maybe that is where he got the bubbletops from?

anyways is there any hambers going to this auction? I was thinking about a road trip but such short notice and what is going on here at the present time I better not. I hope some hambers show up and get us more details and more pictures.

4. fuzzface

fuzzface

ok, I just relooked at the pictures again and they added some more pictures and added captions to them. Under the car they have Roth styled car and under the bubbletop as an original Ed Roth bubbletop.

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Porsche racing motor?

Looks like there's a replica 904 in there.

stillrunners likes this.
  6. RodStRace

RodStRace

[​IMG]
    RNRGlobeHopperRR.jpg

Grabbed this from the net. I thought that might be a Globehopper body (copy) too at first, until I noticed the gas door and trunk in the auction body, then the proportions seemed off...
    I think it's a Prowler go kart body instead...

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

is there anyone here planning on going to the auction???

8. hope so.....thanks for the interests....Mr Roth was not real traditional back in the day.....bought a model the other day....should post that.....go go go.....

9. fuzzface

fuzzface

hopefully Stillrunner or some other hamber made it there today to let us know some more details and price tags.

as I relook at it, was this an auction or are they just having price tags on some of the items with open end offers being accepted on what they think are the bigger ticket items? after rereading and relooking at it , I got myself really confused on which format this is being run as.

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yeah, I would like to hear what the trike sold for.....

11. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

Things that people wanta know...........
    I was told there are reserves on some of the things, like the trike and the bubble car. I was told by the son that there is a Roth signature on the back side of the Trikes lic, plate mount for whatever that's worth. The original bubble was cracked and the guy had another one made along with havin a half bubble made also. I had thought bout going since its local, but didn't want ta take a day off work and already have way to much and too may projects.
    Stay Tuned

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

did anyone go to this auction???

13. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

the purple-ish body looks like The Globe hopper, but with rear fenders.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Roth's wife also had her lawyer sue Ed for selling the cars too cheap. (this was a 'retro-suit', after the values had been said to go 'sky-high', 20-30 years after)
    Mrs. R.F. wanted her 'fair share' of every trike kit, etc., ever sold.
    Does she still have that same attorney?

15. No go here....I'm in Dallas.....holding my vacation to deal with my uncle's estate.....not going to be easy one....

16. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

The bubble car did not sell, nor did the trike. We talked today about the trike and I was told that there is some kind of verification under the seat to support that its a Roth trike. He's gonna take a pic of it and then we'll see.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Roth used to glass a business card inside the body so you could read it from the back side. I would imagine that is what he is talking about. It is one of Roths kit trikes but surely not one of the trikes he built for his own use. those are fairly well documented. Did he mention what the reserve was?

lothiandon1940 and Hudson31 like this.
  18. Colin HD

Colin HD

This is up for sale on EvilBay again.
    Asked the seller if he could provide proof of the Ed Roth 'connection' and he claims that Ed had signed it "while it was in sheet-metal'" but couldn't find a picture of it.

Don't recall Ed making too many of his vehicles in 'sheet-metal' but I could be wrong!

19. No record in the literature of Ed ever making a metal car. In f ct there are recorded statements from him saying he had no time to learn metal skills and never wanted to.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Moriarity likes this.
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I just went to ebay and looked again.. NOT Ed Roth built and man, did ya see the crappy welds on that thing?? I predict that this person will not live long enough to sell this awful thing...Wonder what happened to the trike?

21. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Wow! Those are bad welds! why in the world wouldn't they clean those up before painting the frame

22. Colin HD

Colin HD

image.png Wow! You guys are so mean, those are some lovely welds

chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  23. Colin HD

Colin HD

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

^^^^ I can't believe that anyone will fall for the claim that this is a Roth built car....

25. RodStRace

RodStRace

Mark, P.T. Barnum once said "There's a sucker born every minute"
    With news like this
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/17/us/us-birthrate-decrease.html
    U.S. Birthrate Drops 4th Year in a Row
    "There were an estimated 3,788,235 people born in the United States last year" (2018)
    maybe the seller figured it better be listed FAST!:D
    Remember, a lot of people bought Von Dutch t shirts without even knowing who that was...:rolleyes:

Moriarity likes this.
  26. Squablow

Squablow

The car Colin HD posted has documentation posted in the listing that show the name of the builder and it isn't Roth, I'm not even sure if the seller knows that "Big Daddy Roth" is a person. The description is almost non-existent, and I'd bet it was written by someone having some random thoughts dictated to them.

Shame, the period pics of the car are kinda/sorta neat, and I'd love to rebuild an old custom sports car like this, but I could never justify that price.

27. Colin HD

Colin HD

Back up on eVilBay and now apparently:
    "Ed Roth was heavily involved in the project. He helped in the designing of the Hot Rod as well as the bodywork. Ed Roth painted the car a metallic pink"

Not calling anyone a fibber, as unfortunately I wasn't there to prove or disprove, but I have my thoughts!!!

Sancho and Moriarity like this.