Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937-38 chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 55onefifty, Jan 7, 2020.

1. 55onefifty

55onefifty

Are 1937 and 1938 chevy car frames the same. I know in 1938 the rear end is wider and the rear fenders are just a little different. Also are coupe and sedan rear fenders the same other than the gas filler hole. Are the tail light brackets different on a coupe or are they the same as sedan. If they are different what are the difference.
    Thank you

2. 37 & 38 frames will interchange,...think they are the same, 38 rear fenders are about 1" wider at the back half but will interchange with 37's,...coupe & sedan same cept gas filler hole, coupe tailite stands are different and longer than sedans and are different where they bolt to body.

3. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

I was writing while rusty1 posted. :rolleyes:

Master frames (beam axle suspension) are alike. Master Deluxe frames (knee action/independent suspension) are alike. The front crossmembers are the difference.

I have a '38 Master 2dr sedan and my buddy has a '37 Master coupe. The only difference I've found between the two frames, is the third member shown below. It's shaped slightly different due to gas tank placement.

38 frame dims.jpg

All fenders will interchange.

The tail light stands are different because the body contours are different.

Sedan mount pad
    [​IMG]

Coupe mount pads
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    David Gersic and Baron like this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@55onefifty

I am no authority on the frame subject.....but......I have a ‘37 Coupe and a bare ‘37 chassis and a bare ‘38 chassis. Setting aside the front crossmember difference due to the beam vs knee action suspension, there is a difference at the rear of the frame rails. .

My ‘37 chassis frame rails, from the top of the rear arch, in side view, slopes down in a straight line, like the ‘38 ‘taxi’ chassis in the diagrams. The ‘38 chassis rails are contoured, as seen from the side, like the the diagrams.

Ray

Penetrator likes this.

5. 55onefifty

55onefifty

Thanks to all who responded. What I have is a 1938 coupe with mustang two front. I would like to build a straight axle gasser but this frame is to nice to change. So I am looking for another frame and just wondered if I needed a 1938 frame or if a 37 would also work.
    Thanks again

Baron likes this.
  6. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Coupe and sedan rear fenders are different at the very bottom.

7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Coupe frames are the same , sedan is different from Coupe , it has a dimple in the left rear rail to clear the fuel filler neck on a sedan vs . Coupe tank is in the cabin . I have had a couple and measured and compared , if there is more differences , it wasn’t in the frames I had . Coupe rear fenders are the same , sedans are different . 37 and 38 are the same as far as the 4 sets I have owned .

8. I had a number for a car guy in Ohio that had a bare frame and a front straight axle set up . I ll try to dig it up.

1971BB427 and Baron like this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@55onefifty

Given the scarcity of sound frames after all these years, I’m of the opinion you could use either ‘37 or ‘38, sedan or coupe, as the differences are minor enough to be overcome if and where there is an interference.

Ray

10. 55onefifty

55onefifty

Got the car home, thought I would post a few pictures. Looks like the car has TCI front and rear suspension and the front cross member is a bolt on just the top hats are welded. I should be able to use this frame for my gasser conversion.

Attached Files:

Finn Jensen and Hnstray like this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Looks like a nice solid body. Best wishes on your build!

Ray

12. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have a complete 38 beam axle with springs, drums, and mounts if in need. was gonna replace the knee action in my 38 but found out it is not a bolt on deal

dsmith6 likes this.
  13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Why would you think the knee action to straight axle is not a bolt in swap ? 55oneFifty that is one sweet ride you have there . Some good advice I can give you , if you look at the top of your frame rail at the front suspension . Take notice to a hole and it’s location to C/L of the front suspension . This is a make or break the good looks of a suspension swap . If you get it off , your car will never look right and an 8th grader will motive it . Measure , Measure , Measure and mark it before you do any swapping the front suspension . It is very hard to measure the wheel base on a 37/38 Chebbie because the OEM rear axle swings on the rear springs in an arc . Another thing you will notice is the left and right rear fender openings will drive you NUTZ ! One will look correct , the other will not , you did nothing wrong that’s as good as it will get .

Hnstray likes this.
  14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

You got it home, now start a built thread, Marvin!
    SPark

Finn Jensen likes this.
  15. MISTER TWISTER

MISTER TWISTER

I went to install a rear leaf spring kit for a 37 to 39 chevy in my 37 coupe a few weeks ago. It did not fit without moving the rear crossmember further back. Also, i found that the rear rails on the 37 past the rearend are slanted back at an angle and the 38 looks to be arched over the rearend and flat in the back. the illustrations that came with the kit showed a 38 style frame. cant say if this is the only difference or if the frames will interchange from 37 to 8 but i'd recommend to research it first for anyone looking to swap frames.
    Scott

16. Spike 38

Spike 38

Ok, I realize I'm trying to resurrect a 2+ year old thread, but I need a right rear fender to replace the hashed original on my avatar. A very large portion of the trailing edge and curvature was found to be made out of bondo and what appears to be screen door screen material. I'm going to Hershey in a few weeks (hope to see you there!) and want to pick up a '38 coupe fender. IF the '37 and '38 coupe rear fenders are different from each other and you have one of each, would you lay a tape measure on each one and post the pics on this thread so we can see the difference (a picture's worth a thousand words and all that). I'd like to go armed with a tape measure and be confident of what I'm getting.

17. try to get some pics today...

ok, I checked my fenders, don't have a 37 rear, but 38's are about an inch wider looking at it from the rear, if you see any 37 or 38's, take a measurement to find out the difference.
    No difference in the whole front half of the fender.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022