Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Y block ford block repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46international, Jan 13, 2020.

1. cracked.jpg
    This is what I have, a Y block that is in very good shape but it has a crack at a main bearing saddle. This is not my block but an internet photo, mine is almost the same. Mine only has one crack off to the left of the bolt hole and no crack across the bearing area. My question is, can this be repaired? If you know anything about Y block motors, you know there was misprints in manuals and they listed a torque that was too high and Ford used bolts that were too short in the main caps. (they went to longer bolts at some point). So many of these blocks are cracked like this. Is there anyway to repair this.

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'd be looking for another block, but I suppose there's a fix.

Boneyard51 and 46international like this.
  3. yes, that is what I thought just hoping for someone to save me on this. Shame to toss out a 292 block.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

My luck I'd machine the block put main studs in it and line bore it and that peice would crack the rest of the way.

Boneyard51 likes this.

5. ahshoe

ahshoe

I would hang onto it but find another one...never junk a Y block

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

That is the one area I would not do a repair. For a engine who extened pan flange was hyped for a strong bottom end I have seen many main web failers.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    46international and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 272 block would do too. Contact Ted Eaton of Eaton Balancing in Texas for his opinion.

8. I would not fix it.

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

What,Jimmy Six said!

Bones

46international likes this.
  10. Yes a 272 will work. Ive got a 272 in my hoard that has a fresh rebore to a 292. The best fix is to swap in a FE

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  11. RmK57

RmK57

loudbang and 46international like this.
  12. I just looked them up, thanks. It looks like that is more for a crack that is in like a flat area, don't thinkit would work for me.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. I got some 312s and a compleat 292 (although seized) in Glen Burnie if interested.

Oldmics

14. Oldmics, I have been to your place I bought that 3 speed from you a year and a half ago or so. Tell me more about that 292 you have.

15. Oh man, don't say that!

I have a running Y block in the car now I was just building a better one to swap in at some point.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. I never heard of them.... just looked them up , Thanks! and sent an e-mail

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

He always says that. LOL!

Nome sayin'?

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless it is in a matching numbers restoration where the numbers count for show points or resale $$ I'd think that one could find another 292 block that wasn't cracked and have it machined with a lot better results. In this area at least they aren't all that rare yet.

19. jaracer

jaracer

When I rebuilt my 312 I found the same cracks at three main bearings. On close inspection I found the cracks extended upwards towards the cam journals. I had a number of people familiar with Y blocks say that almost all the blocks, especially 312's, have these cracks and no one had ever heard of a failure because of them. A fairly long search resulted in finding a good 312 block and crank not too far from me.

I did find that everyone that has an old Y block laying around is sure it's a 312. Most are 292's because they were in production the longest.

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You may have to call Ted, he’s a busy man. He knows his Y blocks!

Bones

21. RmK57

RmK57

I had read something on cracked main bearings and quite a few y-blocks were ruined with over torquing the the main caps. The early shop manuals stated 130 lbs. of torque which is a misprint.
    The real torque values are 95-105 lbs.

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford at that was not a numbers matching company. Date codes on the cast iron would be the best way. I think Ford got into it around 67-69.

46international and egads like this.
  23. Do you have a pic of your actual block,,it might not be as bad as you think.
    Some of these old iron pieces can be repaired,,,welded very well.
    If it is not too bad,,,,,after repair and using studs,,it might be okay.
    Many years ago,,,I had bad problem,,,a Mopar 906 cylinder head with a hole in the chamber.
    These heads had many dollars of porting involved,,,so a replacement was a lot of work.
    The chamber had a 3/8 inch slot about 3/4 inch long in it,,,,in the flat of the chamber ,,into the water jacket .
    Hummm,,,,sounds like a piece of valve stem,,,,doesn’t it.
    Anyway,,,Indy cylinder head said they could fix it,,,I didn’t believe it,,,but they assured me they could. When I got it back,,,it was perfect,,,just like it never happened.
    I have heard of Hemi main webs and saddles being welded too.

I know it probably easier for you to get another block,,,but you could keep your options open . Has anyone ever put 4 bolt main caps on a YBlock,,,,that night be an option too.

Tommy

24. silent rick

silent rick

ted is actually here on the hamb. hamb name is Tedd. that said, he was last here on new years eve @Tedd

25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Answers more on the YBlocksforever page. You can post a photo there too.

26. Thanks guys, I have two leads on a "new" block I think I'll go that way

27. Even FoMoCo swapped the Y blocks for FE's they did it in 63 for the cars and 65 for the trucks.