Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What do you like about our Hobby ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 13, 2020.

1. There's a thread on what we dislike about our hobby. So I'm thinking what do you like about our, old car, Hot Rod, and custom hobby. For me it's the people! I've had so much help on building my old jalopies over the years. I been blessed to have friends with so much more talent than me. Way too many to even name. THANKs guys! Plus driving them too! :) Ron..... 20170519_112527.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. You are so right, Ron. I've often said, yes, the cars bring us together, but it's really about the people....Don.:)

3. I would say it's the people. If I was asked what I hated most about the hobby, I would also say it's the people.

4. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Ron & Don, you both hit it square on: it’s always about the people. Second to that is the challenge do/make something different that creates now conversations with others.

6. Being kind of a loner, I only have a few really good friends. I like it that way because I am just too busy for an active social life. What I love about our hobby is working on my cars with each project making it stronger, safer and better looking. When I finally finish everything I want to do to the car, I usually trade it for something else and start over.
    I also love driving them!

7. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Amen on what @rustydusty said. I'm a loner too. I hang with very few people and its cause there are not many people around me that share the same interest. My priorities are God, family, and cars. I've been in love with cars since before I could walk. I think I would go crazy if I didn't always have a project to work on.

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I prefer my hobby time to be about me and my hot rod, imposing my meager talents upon it. I prefer socializing with foxy babes.

I don't do much socializing.

9. I am also like rustydusty, somewhat of a loner and I don't really know anyone locally that is into old cars so I do everything myself ..so I would say my favorite part of the hobby is the swapmeets, I love a treasure hunt.

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I agree with Ron, et al, it's about hanging out with like-minded hoodlums! But I also like getting behind the wheel and going somewhere, anywhere!

11. There are two sides to our hobby. The challenge of the build and then the satisfaction of accomplishment is one side . The social side is optional.

weps, mountainman2, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  12. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i enjoy all of it, hanging out, building driving, collecting, but the bottom line is the people! made alot of friends threw this lifetime car hobby!

13. wicarnut

wicarnut

Agree with Ron, I've always enjoyed the people part, has been a social outlet from the beginning. The diversity of the people and cars is outstanding. For me, a lifelong carnut the hobby has served me well, not a rant, but there are a fair amount of unhappy guys here always willing to share their misery. I like and enjoy the HAMB and thankful for many things including the HAMB, a BIG Thank You to Ryan for his idea, efforts to keep this deal going.

14. 62rebel

62rebel

For me, it's the challenge of bringing a car back from the dead, and the rare feeling of accomplishment when I actually get one done to my satisfaction. I'm not a socializer either, not many friends here to lend a hand. I don't mind if people help, though, but my schedule is bass-ackwards for most of them.

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Not trying to create a fire storm but, when I attend shows I get the
    impression that what Corvette owners like most about the hobby is
    'getting a trophy".

16. We have the same priorities Slim! GOD first, than family friends, and Hot Rods. Not much else after that.:) Ron...... 1667.jpg

17. what I like is freedom of the variety of ways there are to enjoy the hobby. Its something that you can make all the choices and decisions no one dictates to you. It can be as expensive or as cheep as you want its all up to you. Also its something not everyone can do. I used to keep bees someone complained that they might sting you. I replied exactly that's why I like them if they didn't sting anyone and everyone could be a beekeeper. All my really close friends are already taking the dirt nap. My wife is my best buddy anyhow.

18. jim snow

jim snow

What Ron and Don said. Driving to distant events is also cool. Preferably with a crew. Snowman

19. Hobby?? what Hobby.....

Ron Funkhouser and Old wolf like this.
  20. bct

bct

the history and learning the skills required to reproduce it.

21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’m kinda a loner and a mixer! I know that sounds strange, but I do like being around nice people that share the same interests as I do. My favorite “ thing” is drag racing! And one of my favorite things about drag racing is all the “ razzing” that goes on in the winter..... and when Spring comes and the participants must back up their respective BS! Makes for a great race! Puts icing on the cake, so to speak! I like the Ford vs Chevy BS, as long as it’s friendly, me being a Ford man. I also like just looking at my 65s, my favorite car , plus driving them, working on them comes in a distant third, now days! And of course the H.A.M.B.

Bones

22. I used to think it was about using my skills to turn a hunk of junk into something cool and fun. But, when I really reflected back on all my fond memories associated with this hobby of ours, they all involved the people that were there with me. So, even though I still get some level of satisfaction from the actual cars both building and driving them, whether that be by myself or with a group of likeminded folks, it really boils down to the people. I can honestly say that probably 95% of my closest friends are all because of this hot rod hobby of ours. I even met my wife through a friend that I had painted a 55 Chevy for...

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

The satisfaction of completing a difficult job.

24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

25. I like the learning. I have learned so much on this site. Thanks, everyone.

26. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All the good peeps of course!!:D

Boneyard51 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  27. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I like everything mentioned above, but I enjoy making my hotrod the way I want it!! The best enjoyment is seeing the smile on little kids faces while pointing to my car and seeing the look of envy from other folks...…..nothing like it...………..

28. My answer to this is the same as my answer to the other.

I like the people, there are a lot of pricks in this hobby ands I seem to attract them but there are a lot of good people too and I like them real well. ;)

LOU WELLS, scotty t, Tim and 4 others like this.
  29. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

30. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I love driving my hot rods even if there is no where to go, just drive. I love building them. The edge may go slightly to building. I love problem solving during a build. I love designing, trying to eliminate those problems. I'm pretty much a loner, too. My time in the shop is priceless. I do notice that when driving the roadster, even if I went the long way, I got there too soon!