Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What do dislike about our hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whiskeyding, Jan 12, 2020.

1. The only thing I've ever really disliked about this hobby is the ever increasing intrusion of my states DMV and some overdressed state trooper tasked with the job of enforcing those intrusions, telling me how I can build/modify my car. Their bureaucratic meddling has forced me many times into the grey area of the law during a build/modification. DMV is a total contradiction to the justice system. Just like the IRS, DMV knows we are all guilty, and it's up to us to prove our innocence. Oh, and the aftermarket providing the endless selection of "one size fits NOTHING parts".

2. Oldb

Oldb

I agree, absolutely the worst.
    B

3. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

It's all in the challenge.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Scammers , dishonest people and then bullsh.. artists.

19Eddy30 and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

People saying false things and taking advantage of younger guys like me. I want to smack the guy who molested this poor little Falcon. I've been going through and undoing everything he did wrong and making it how it should be for a year now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. upspirate

upspirate

1. Hassles I've had getting "driver" insurance instead of shows,parades, locked in a garage insurance.(reason I'm getting out and I will not get that insurance and use it everyday hoping I don't get caught)
    2. Clubs...probably was just in a bad one, but when all they want to do is sit and make fun of other cars and people walking by, leaving at a set time to make a statement,asking why my car wasn't "done" (they mostly had money and we were on a shoe string budget)
    3. shows

Loved driving, working on the old stuff, and using them as an everyday driver

7. topher5150

topher5150

-Rust and having to pay a hefty price to fix it or replace it.
    -general lack of after market parts for a car that was made the same for five years.
    -getting into the hobby when after everything got scraped
    -having to explain that just because I'm painting it matte black doesn't mean it's a rat rod
    -thinking rat rods were pretty cool and not realizing they just look like the toys in Sid's room from Toy Story
    -having to endure all the old timers stories of when they drove home a pre war Ford for mowing some old guys lawn.

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. v8flat44

v8flat44

I'm with "arkiehotrods" from page 1 on this one, feel blessed to have a car etc. ......but, i do hate overpriced, crap parts and overpriced paint.

19Eddy30, arkiehotrods and 1959Nomad like this.
  9. SR100

SR100

Not having a dry place to work on cars.
    Oh, and not knowing Swade41 & Doublepumper's avatars...

swade41 and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. I never thought about that question before ??? I kinda like everything about my hobby. There are a few things I don't care as much for anymore. I don't do the small one day, {in da sun} type shows. Or do I like the big buck shows as much anymore either. So I just don't go. They're still great for those that like them though. I just like driving them as much as possible. I do like the stories that you OLD guys tell. lol There's threads on here that I may not care for. { hay no problem } I don't have to look. I been blessed that old cars has always been a part of who I am. Some people call my old coupe a rat rod too. But I never cared what anyone thinks of my cars. I built them long before the HAMB. I really never fit in durning the many phases of our hobby. Yeah they're not totally HAMB friendly either. This is a big hobby, and so is the HAMB. Enjoy what you like, and just pass on what you don't. I was born a HOT RODDER, and I LOVE it! { Maybe a little too much } Ron.... 130.jpg

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I hate the getting old just when I can barely afford the time/money to build a vehicle. When I was a teen/20's it was fun to lie in the snow on a gravel driveway to help by best friend swap his blown 3 speed for a 4 speed, now I hurt to lie on a concrete floor when the temp is heated to 60 plus, and I would not even try to lift a trans into place with brute strength anymore, mostly cause it is not there
    anymore.

12. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

You couldn't be more spot on with what you just said!!

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  13. LAROKE

LAROKE

What are you protesting Johnny?

[​IMG]

Wadda ya got?

scotty t, Boneyard51 and wvenfield like this.
  14. Buyers / Sellers remorse

15. People putting a guy down for building his car his way when there's nothing coming out of
    their garage!

OLSKOOL57, 19Eddy30, 34andy and 7 others like this.
  16. seamus43

seamus43

I THINK COST PARTS NUTS!!!!!!!!!!I WAS PARTS GUY AND BUILT CARS !!!!!!!!!

Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy likes this.
  17. 62rebel

62rebel

Budgeting for parts. Used to be able to trade for stuff, barter labor, etc. Not an option locally now.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. The only thing I don't like about the hobby is the cost of things and not having the money for them. Not whining, exactly....just bummed.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know what you mean. At 75 I’ve really slowed down and it drives me nuts especially trying to finish another engine. Driving at El Mirage has become a chore but the love of it keeps me going.

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

Way too many Posers and Bull Shitters. I'd like to have $5 for every time I've heard a BSer say "yeah I built that car."

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Well, I guess it must be..............".Polishing".Over the past few years I seem to have done all of those other things everyone says they don't like but I can't remember the last time I put polish on a car. So I must subconsciously be avoiding "Polishing". :D One more thing, I dislike is anything put on a street rod to look "stupid" rather than "useful". Things like 4 foot long shifters or two 4 barrel carbs sitting on an adapter to a one 4 barrel manifold.
    And dare I say........Whitewalls ? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    vtx1800, 302GMC, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  22. The Dude getting the money has to pay income tax and 15.3% self employment tax. and sales tax on that money if he spends it.

19Eddy30, hotrodjack33 and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

I hate that I didn't get into the hobby sooner.

Texas57 and LAROKE like this.
  24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Old Wolf, you’ve got it right! Taxes kill us! I am going to have to turn down a job/ contract because of that 15% self employed tax, among other taxes! It was a $7000 a month contract. But after I jump through the hoops, there is nothing left for me.
    I paid that 15% self employed tax for years, but due to my pension, the government reduces my social security by 60%! That is the law, but should be against the law!

Bones

19Eddy30, hotrodjack33 and 56don like this.
  25. Well I have been around the funk all my life. The smells and the dirt/stains I actually like reminds me of my dad I think. or maybe it is just what I am accustomed to, I have always worked mechanical trades of some sort.

The work makes me hurt but I got drugs so that is no biggy either.

I think if I had to put my finger on one thing more than anything else I would have to say that it is the people. This is not to say that I don't like hot rodders there are a lot of them that I do like but there are a lot of pricks in this hobby and if I had to say what I don't like about the hobby I would to say that is the only thing that rubs me the wrong way.

26. belair

belair

Idiots, liars, thieves and sexual intellectuals (f'ing know-it-alls).

27. Having spent a week and a half over Christmas laid up waiting for my eye to heal after having another metal/rust/spark (not sure which) spec removed. I would say the near laser like guided precision that these little basterds posess in order to be able to find their way around my safety glasses. And, that irritating feeling of having that metal spec in your eye.

But, on the other hand, I like optometrists .

28. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Amen to that. They are not replaceable.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Chavezk21 and Boneyard51 like this.
  29. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

30. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Body work and paint. I suck at it so I have to farm it out and it costs so damn much these days.

rockable and Boneyard51 like this.