Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 346 Caddy flat head Buy or boat anchor? Pro's and Con's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirty30Dodge, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

I have an opportunity to buy a Caddy drivetrain looks complete with a 346 flathead, transmission and banjo. They are saying it was recently rebuilt but now seized? I see only a couple of rebuild parts for sale on the web and they are extremely expensive. Will this be worth having around for trade or build later? who is still offering part's? Thanks

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Check out these YouTube video's
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cadflat

Also have a read of a thread here called "Cadillac Flathead Chronicles"
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-chronicles-tell-us-how-you-are-doing.674729/
    For staters at least.
    I love them, but then again I am biased...

Do a thread search for more articles;
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/346-cadillac-flathead.126134/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cadillac-flathead-horsepower-tricks.332457/

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

What year ? How much ? 3 speed or hydro ? How much room do you have ? Do you want it ?

4. I have no idea what they're worth or if you can find parts you need to repair that engine but I had a 47 caddy with the hydro. Loved that car! Would cruise the interstates with traffic with no drama, never over heated ran smooth and quiet. My only complaint was with the 6 volt electrics, it wouldn't crank fast enough to start below 20 degrees...had to park it on a hill and coast it to 15-20MPH to start. 47caddyandscotty.jpg

5. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd price out rebuild parts before spending any money though. Sometimes the cost of "cool" exceeds the amount of coolness something might have. Simply meaning that it has to be something that you are really set on rather than the "this might be cool" syndrome thing.

7. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

it's from a 39
    Thanks for your input keep it coming!

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

You can get creative with the exhaust. They are great engines ! 2012-08-31 183432.jpg

Speed Gems and 302GMC like this.
  9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

If you need a part supplier listings, join a Cadillac Forum, this is more focused.
    Kanter would be the main seller, but if you are only interested in engine parts you will find machine shops and other vendors, mostly small that are out there.

10. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Thanks fiftyv8 you have a cool caddy on a run stand! Love the exhaust!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    fiftyv8 likes this.
  11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

All good buddy.
    Once you get bit by the flathead Cadillac engine bug there is not turning back.
    Best wishes with your project.

12. Smiffy

Smiffy

Checkout cost of parts for rebuild and availability. Once you start down the spiral of flathead rebuilds or hop ups the hole you pour your money into gets bigger and bigger with no light in sight until you hit the bottom with a loud thud then you wake up and realise what it's cost you.:(:)

13. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

39992(1).jpg caddy daddy sells this kit for just under $2000. I think they're great engines but they are pretty heavy around 900lbs I believe. I have the 322 Lasalle myself. The parts are out there just not as common as flathead Ford stuff. Marty, do you have more pics or info on that roadster with the Caddy?

14. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

The flathead Cadillac engine is an acquired taste so to speak.
    Parts are out there and I don't feel that the prices are prohibitive.
    We are fortunate that there are parts out there period.
    Just remember with the Cadillac engine you are starting off from a base of about 125 to 150HP and with a few simple tweaks you can have pretty decent performance by just improving carby, exhaust and ignition.
    What more could one want from a flathead.
    I believe there are still cams out there at a reasonable price should you so desire.
    If you end up with a really efficient stock style engine it should be reliable and serve you well for a long time...
    I am not a fan of the transmissions, but that is just me.
    A more modern tranny should help get the weight down, as does losing the starter motor and some other unbolt able items.

15. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

It is a manual trans so I went ahead and took the plunge on it. Will see when I take the engine apart. Hopefully nothing major wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

TrailerTrashToo and fiftyv8 like this.
  16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Good move, keep us posted

17. Let me know if you pass....one of my high school buddies is now building a 1947 Caddie after building a 1956 coupe and whats to stay with that flat head on this project....maybe I had a little influence .