Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old Cragars

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Thought these were pretty cool, got them on a car out of Colorado, Cragars are from the 70's, along with the dry rotted tires, 15x10's and a 14x7, plus what looks like an old fenton. Wheels are a little rough but for as old they are they're in pretty good shape, if they'd been here in Ky, there wouldn't have been nothing left.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2020
    mgtstumpy, Hombre, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

They look great for their age. Should polish up nice.

Deuces likes this.
  3. Had a set like that on my 69 nova back in the the late 70's. Cragars are a timeless great look IMHO. ;)

lothiandon1940 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I had a set on the back of my 70 split bumper Z28 in the late 70's, and of course N50's. I'll swap these for something, I got steel wheels, trim rings and baby moons for my plymouth.

Deuces likes this.

5. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

No peeling between the spokes on the Cragars? Hell, you're ahead of the game.
    They were the best looking wheel made. It's a shame Cragar didn't care enough
    to try and solve the peeling / flaking problem.

slowmotion likes this.
  6. My neighbor has a set of Cragars like that, just like a mullet, aluminum front steel in the back. received_1179921505543725.jpeg received_868110526908206.jpeg

mgtstumpy and LOST ANGEL like this.
  7. flyin-t

flyin-t

My uncle passed a year ago and I inherited one of his cars, '65 Barracuda Formula S 4 speed. He bought it new and the next year put Cragars on it. Hasn't been started since '82. He even kept the boxes the wheels came in, original wheels and hubcaps were in them.

IMG_8242.JPG fullsizeoutput_3ae5.jpeg

Driver50x, mgtstumpy, swade41 and 4 others like this.
  8. 2935ford

2935ford

I had a set on my new '66 Fairlane.......within a few months the chrome peeled! :(
    Yours look pretty darn good for their age!

sunbeam, Deuces and flyin-t like this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I sandblasted my peeling rusty Cragars and painted them wrinkly grey. Matches my wrinkly grey truck.

0720171541a.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    mgtstumpy, Old wolf, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  10. slowmotion

slowmotion

Love the look, hate the shitty chrome job knowing it's just a matter of time.

Old wolf and Deuces like this.
  11. Oh man,,,when I was kid,,,they were the best looking thing out there.
    The earlier ones had better chrome,,,more durable,,,,late 60,s versions,,,the later ones would start to rust in just a few weeks,,,,late 70,s,,early 80,s .
    Cragar. S/S,,,,,oh well,,,,I don’t know how traditional they are,,but I still love them !

Tommy

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My first new car was an OT 340 Dart, and the first thing I did was install Cragar S/S wheels on it. Only thing with those little 4" bolt pattern wheels, is the "extra rim" at the ends of the spokes where they attach to the wheel; just makes things look a little off. The peeling/rusting chrome on the aluminum spokes is the only downfall with Cragar S/S wheels. That, and NO ONE will re-chrome them, so once they're peeling or rusting, the only thing left is painting them. The Junior Stock guys started painting them white for a while, then all the street guys did the same thing, and finally, wheels came out that were already painted white (don't remember who it was, E.T.? Appliance?, but pretty sure it was't Cragar). I've always had Cragar S/S wheels on my cars, even on the 56 Sedan delivery currently, and a set of Big "N" Littles in storage. Some of the "new" Cragar S/S one piece wheels look promising, as long as they're no bigger than 15"; the 18" wheels just look stooooopid, but then again, the cars they go on look stoooopid also.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

flyin-t, Old wolf and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  13. Deuces

Deuces

I though the Darts had a 4.5" bolt pattern.... I could be wrong..... :oops:

14. Yes the peeling chrome is a downer. Ive had these for decades. Cragar GT rim,s 001.JPG Cragar GT rim,s 002.JPG Cragar GT rim,s 003.JPG

15. I think it was Keystone that offered their Klassic in white

16. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

These have some dings around the edge of the rims, little rough around the lug nut holes. The 14 in one is in pretty good shape if someone had one to match, I'll find somebody that wants to add to their collection and give them away or trade them for something. I'd hate to just toss them but I got enough junk. I just thought it was pretty cool how long they've lasted. Mine started peeling after about 6 mths in the 70's and I tried everything to keep them from it.

17. I have some of those chrome keystones that are rusty and peeking. I suppose I could paint them? wheels 001.JPG

mgtstumpy and flyin-t like this.
  18. flyin-t

flyin-t

I'm still learning about this Barracuda but I think it has 5X4" bolt pattern.

Not really a Mopar guy but I grew up next door to my uncle and always loved this car. When he was in 'Nam his mom would drive it once a week to keep everything happy til he got home, more often than not I got to ride along with her.

I was really surprised it went to me.

19. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

There were some early mopars with the small bolt pattern, I had a Dart and a Duster with it but they both came out with a slant six engine.

20. flyin-t

flyin-t

From what Ive read on a few of the mopar sites all A bodies had that small pattern until the mid 70s. There seems to be some disagreement among those guys on just when the switch was made.

21. These were recently rechromed for $500 at a place in California, they were not taken apart even though it's two types of metal. FB_IMG_1566483346948.jpg

Started out like these

FB_IMG_1566487908027.jpg

These were powdercoated

received_2151019678472673.jpeg

And mine are original chrome from 72 if I remember correctly

20200109_214404.jpg