Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration HAMB MEMBER SIGN

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Lloyd, count me in for two, if there are enough. I’m still going to get a banner , if they materialize.

Bones

2. Thank you Ryan,
    Always the calm voice in the storm.

Tommy

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Brent....sorry brother. I dont know what happened to you in the past, but every situation is different. Lloyd offered his time, and money by the way, to create an efficient way so we can all recognize each other at swaps, events or car shows. He is paying for them out of his pocket. How this could be a negative is beyond me...he is using an existing logo, not creating his own. He even asked for permission first. If I were Lloyd I'd be pissed at the inferences you raise. I think you let whatever happened to you cloud your judgment. This is a good thing. It's getting the HAMB out there in a good way. Is it better if 100 people ask Ryan for permission? Doesnt make sense to me. We will see what Ryan decides. If this were my website and members wanted to identify themselves proudly to others...I'd be fucking chuffed.

4. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Ryan....great to hear. This is an amazing community of super niche car guys and gals. To be able to identify ourselves in this way is a positive! I feel better now. Lloyd...you are da man!

5. Thank you sir. I'm a professional and would never do anything that would look like shit lol. But once i get a proof from the company, it will be sent to you for your approval before i buy them. Thanks boss.

6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heya Lloyd, I just deleted my post offering free artwork...only posted it because HRP liked the old logo with the illustration.
    The more comments I read, the more I realize that the signs and/or banners should be JUST the HAMB logo. It is universally recognized and doesn't need any "dressing up":eek:
    Let us know what you come up with...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. All I'm planning on doing is using the existing red logo and the top of the page, placed on a white corrugated sign board. The kind that you see everywhere during election time. Just a small sign, not much larger than a license plate. Thanks for the support, as that's all im trying to do.

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

Hey Black Panther, I wanted to stay dipped out after Lloyd requested but you brought up some points that I'd like to reply to.

Yes, every situation is indeed different. I think Ryan has done a stellar job with his brands. In fact over the years, I've met hundreds of guys because of his logo on clothing, alliance tags, tag toppers and ALSO through people whom organized meet-ups all over the place.

Brand is way more than the logo that represents it. It's why Walmart has a different reputation than Target. Also, it's why The Jalopy Journal uses quality t-shirts, does limited runs, doesn't punch you in the face with ads, keeps the site well updated and so on.

It's great that he'd offer to pay out of pocket and his pockets may be deeper than Ryan's marketing budget, I don't know. But I can say this, it's rare that someone else puts in the type of care for someone else's marketing that the owner gives. Also, $1 per banner might not match the quality (this is all in my opinion, folks) that I've seen Ryan put out.

He should have NO problem with me if his intentions are just. Just as NOBODY should ever feel like they can't speak up in defense. Like I said, I'd do it for him, too. If some dude did a run of $1 shirts that represented Lloyd's shop and they looked like hell, I'd actually find that insulting to Lloyd.

Let me be clear: This has nothing to do with me. I know who I am. Though I am tired of people taking advantage of insanely talented, smart and creative people (not saying that here, since we know it's not the case). It's not right and it is way too common. AND ALSO... to be further clear, I meant no disrespect to Lloyd. Hell, if Lloyd wants a Tag topper, PM me. I have a couple in the shop.

Maybe? I hope whomever is printing these signs for $1 is incredible. If they are, I want their name. I've yet to find that value with such a small order run. If they're nice quality, I'd hope they don't pop up in the classifieds or on eBay.

I think so. I look at it this way, is it better to ask the boss or to ask someone who asked the boss?

I'd be more chuffed if they all bought a shirt, an alliance membership (yes, I was one for years and have a dozen shirts, hats, some tag toppers, brass Alliance badges, etc.) and other merch. I'd be more chuffed if they were regular contributors and were just plain good folks that were stewards for traditional hot rodding and the related history.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and 54vicky like this.
  9. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Brent...let's put this to bed. He asked Ryan in advance, will clear the design, and is not doing it for profit. All of your concerns are satisfied. As to the quality of the print work, that's Ryan's call. I dont think that Lloyd will be sending 20 signs to someone so they can sell them. Why wouldnt they just do it on their own? Itll all be ok. I can't speak for anyone else...but I want a sign because I want to encourage people from the HAMB to stop and chat. Not all support is monetary...in supporting this website, I've done my share of decoding engines, casting dates, old speed shop catalog info, posted pictures of said catalogs...identified aluminum flywheels...etc..I share my knowledge if I can...many guys here do too. That's why commiserating is fun.

10. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

11. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

How about one of those little dolls that leans against your hot rod with a leather HAMB bomber jacket on, a pack of Lucky Strikes rolled up in the sleeve just enough to reveal his HAMB tat?

haha you never know what you'll get in response when you post up asking people's opinions on here....

I'm not out too much but when I strike up a conversation with a swap meet seller or rod owner, I usually ask if they are on the HAMB- and I've seen cars with a decal from the HAMB and I do sort get a funny feeling...…. ;)

12. Bad Bobs sign at LARS circa '09-'10
    HAMB FIREWALL TAG at LAR show 2010.jpg

13. ^^^ Look at that banner. So many cool old HAMBers. Many of them are passed on now. That banner and the HAMB camp was how I met Bob K and so many other great folks. Bad Bob doesn't do that any more. I miss it. Me? I support having a sign at the cool events we go to. If we bring this tradition back, I'll certainly make a big ol' Pot of Hell to share. If you print them up, I'd love to have one, Lloyd. Not that many things bring different generations of car guys together. But, that did. Thanks for posting that pic, 1oldtimer. It brought a grin to this old fart's face.

14. I just went back and looked at the banner again. I got to meet most of those guys there. More than half of them no longer show up on the HAMB any more. With out that banner, those meet ups don't happen. Our community was a lot larger then. Because we knew where to find each other.

15. I,m in!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

count me in for one. It would be wise to figure out what the mailing costs are going to be first though.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Maybe a good idea but put on a “Meet and Greet” at events you attend and I promise you will meet more HAMBers then doling out 100 signs nation wide.

19. Lmao don't be stuck on a number. I've had maybe 30 request for a sign. Basic math. Means i have 70 for myself. If it takes more then so be it. I don't get it. It's my money. Why all the negativity? Oh well. Like my granny always said before she died, fuck em, feed em fish heads

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  20. Save one for me too, Lloyd... GNRS is coming up quick, in Pomona, Calif. and it sure would be nice to have a "Meet & Greet" there! I don't have an entry this year, but quite a few HAMB guys from the Midwest, East Coast, and Southern U. S. come every year or a lot of years, either with cars entered, spectators, or have vendor booths to promote their business...

21. Hey Lloyd. Great idea. Put me down for one.

I swear, some of you guys could be setting in Jesus' lap, eatin' a bowl of ice cream, and still bitch because there ain't no sprinkles. :rolleyes:

SDhotrod, Thor1, Saxman and 12 others like this.
  22. We already do but I hate to use it. Only gawd knows where these hoodlums hands have been. :rolleyes: :D

23. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Hope you did not take my post to be negative. Meet and Greets are where I have met most of the folks I have. I don’t hang around my car to much at shows, I’m just not the lawn chair type.

24. Ccain,,,,that is the absolute truth,,,I am still laughing at that one,,,,Lol.

Tommy

ccain and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. I honestly believe Lloyd has done everything above board and the right way, he talked with the Boss and got his permission to proceed as long as it's done for non profit, upon receiving the art work it will be submitted to Ryan for his approval, if he gives it a pass and Lloyd spends his own hard earned money we all should respect his dedication.

I predict a lot of naysayers will be holding their hands up wanting a sign after they see it. HRP

[​IMG]

26. Not to change the subject, or at least, not much, will there be a HAMB meet up at GNRS?

27. Fish Heads. HRP

28. ...let us know when they are available, thanks

Boneyard51 likes this.
  29. Nah it's all good man. This all started about me. I met guys here that have told me they've been going to the hot rod reunion for years, and being excited as a new member of the HAMB community it got me excited that this year i will get to meet them. Just as you said, i don't sit in the chair all day, i go looking for cars that fit my taste. I don't look at every single car, let alone inspect them for stickers or shift knobs. I've likely walked past a car that belongs to a member here and drooled over it, and just like me and you, the owner was out looking around. But now that i am a part of this group, if i could identify you as a fellow member, i would keep coming back or wait around to shake your hand, tell you a joke, or invite you over to my camp to break bread and make fun of my junk. It's all about being a car guy, not just a car owner.

30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hey CCain, I almost spit my coffee out reading your post! It’s, so true and I agree, but what made me laugh is I always want sprinkles on my ice cream! I showed my wife and she asked if you were talking about me? Thanks for my daily laugh!

Bones

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Thor1, ccain, lothiandon1940 and 2 others like this.