Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Long Live Junkyards...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nailhead A-V8, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Sorry if this is on the o/t side but bear with me...This is the last "real Junkyard " in Lower mainland B.C. it closes for good next month...yes the oldest inventory you will find there is from the late '80's but even that is incredible considering all other yards had long since become late model (2008-present) "reclamation yards" where you call in orders and no public access is allowed or "recycling centers" (dumps). Man I used to love crawling through old junkyards! Looking for that corner or trailer where the vintage stuff was kept ,or trying to imagine if the occupants of a creamed vehicle survived, finding that critical part to keep your daily driver going, pulling out a trans. while lying in a mud puddle and well into the '90's still being able to find the odd '50's-'60's wreck...to bring the post on topic this is where I found the '64 Comet that donated the V8 steering/brakes for my old Falcon...Goodbye to milking a few more years out of the old daily driver:( ...RIP Junkyards!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2020
    Baumi, dana barlow and scotty t like this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The junk yard I pulled a 430 Mel engine out of a 58 Lincoln to go in my 55 Ford, in 1965 is still going in Muskogee, Oklahoma. “ Poor Boys Salvage” is not as big as it once was, but it still has an occasional older car and a few left from the former time. But of course there is not much left of them. Every time I go there, I think of my Dad, we pulled that engine together, putting in in my 55 was a father and son project. One of the few cars I have ever sold, wished I hadn’t!

Bones

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Nailhead A-V8 and dana barlow like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

They are still out there .:)

Nailhead A-V8 and Spooky like this.
  4. I was "recycling" before it was a thing. But not so much as a buyer, more like a donator. :eek: :confused: :oops:

Nailhead A-V8 and Spooky like this.

5. Spooky

Spooky

Why yes we are! I am privileged to work at All American Classics. Here in the PNW we ship world wide and have 25k followers on Instagram and were featured on Junkyard Gold. Out in the yard we have most American makes from the 1940's to some cars from the 2000's. Managed by Todd, he has been in the business since he was a kid. At the front counter Forrest Lee has been a staple and has a very sharp memory and knowledge of parts removal and tech info on many models.
    We are open M-F 8;30-5. We pull all of the parts and everyone is free to walk the 8 acres we have.
    And, we have bits and pieces that have been pulled over 30 years and stored in a warehouse and if you are looking for a NOS piece, we have a warehouse FULL.
    Come out and visit us!
    https://www.allamericanclassics.com/

brad2v, Gotgas, 6-bangertim and 8 others like this.
  6. Even around here there is still Pick Your Part, but they bought up all the competition. Your lucky to find anything from the late 80's and it has been picked clean. There's still a lot of call in wrecking yards that don't let customers in the actual yard and very little have anything older then 70's.

I still go for the odd newer manual o/d trans (or wheels lately) or for mom's cars....I HAVE to, I've been going since I could drive. I've even turned a couple of friends that have never been onto them.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  7. There used to be a locally owed St Louis U Pic a Part here, but LKQ bought them up and LQK sucks ass. All of the prices have gone way up and the old place used to by scrap cars by the ton. I had an O/T Taurus wagon that I pulled the motor out of that I had intended to get rid of up there. Now LKQ asks a dozen questions about condition and then tenders an offer. Fuck them, the offered my 40 bucks for the wagon. It would have cost that in diesel to get it there. The old place paid $100 a ton. Fortunately, there is still a Pick and Pull on the north side of the city, but they usually don’t have any older stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6-bangertim, Nailhead A-V8 and Spooky like this.
  8. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

9. I just have my very own private hoard. I do sell sumthin on occasion. And sometimes its fun to tell folks Not For sale ! LOL I have enough 60 thru 66 chevy truck stuff to last till im gone. When I take anything to the scrap yard. I beat the bejabbers out of it If I sell it for scrap its gonna be nuthin but scrap.

10. One Bad Pig

One Bad Pig

There are two yards just down the road from me that that are privately owned and right next door to each other. Prices are dirt cheap or even free sometimes. They have tons of 60's chevy trucks and quite a few cars from the 50's. The guy that works at one of them just sold me a complete bbc for $120 and he even pulled it out! They even have some old firetrucks that got some Stewart Warners out of. Things aren't too bad around here.

scotts52, brad2v, 6-bangertim and 3 others like this.
  11. donno

donno

One Bad Pig, where in North Id? I lived near Rathdrum for 13 years, I remember Pegasus on 95.

12. One Bad Pig

One Bad Pig

Im in Post Falls. Pegasus was one of the ones I was referring to.

scotts52 likes this.
  13. There's some around these parts....on a scale of - not going to sell it but list it on the Bay (never going to happen ).....to - just to damn much for that part.....to just right...but three times what we used to pay - but it was a good deal !

14. That's the one around here too. At least I can search the new stuff that can into the yard online first (crappy pics though). One of them about an hour from here used to have an old car row and it was online also, but it's gone from the website.....I haven't gone to check it out to see if the cars are gone too.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  15. Cowtown

Cowtown

I stopped at this junkyard this morning and spent about 3 hours (Not near long enough) Could have spent all day! They must have 10,000 cars and trucks and parts galore from Model T and A Ford up into the 60s in the old section. Lots of Rust Free metal. Always have some complete cars and trucks For Sale. I counted over 40 shoebox Fords. Tons of 30s bodies. Lots of parts for resto or the Rat Rod guys would have a hey day here. Only thing I bought today was a 48-51 Chevy pickup door. Battery went dead or I would have taken a lot more pictures.

Attached Files:

16. Cowtown

Cowtown

Here is another I stopped at a few weeks back. This is not a junkyard but just one guys collection. I didn't get pictures of the one in the building but its full also. Got a bunch of tractors also.

Attached Files:

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

@Cowtown That was my favorite place to go waste a day off when I lived in that town. Always something!

18. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is this in Milliken, Colo. or somewhere else?

19. Cowtown

Cowtown

Not in Milliken

20. Thanks, Cowtown. Wouldn't mind visiting that place sometime. Just to look around, and appreciate the fact that salt isn't everywhere.

21. Cowtown

Cowtown

Its Martins Supply in Windsor, Colorado On Route 34 just a few miles east of I-25. Open thru the week and have a website. They will ship parts anywhere.

22. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"When I take anything to the scrap yard. I beat the bejabbers out of it If I sell it for scrap its gonna be nuthin but scrap."

Lucky for me most people don't do this, or there would be no useful parts at the small scrap and junk yards that I frequent.

Nailhead A-V8 and Squablow like this.
  23. Squablow

Squablow

Wisconsin still has quite a few junkyards with old stuff in them, but most of the sheetmetal is dissolved into dirt, mostly only good for small parts. But a lot of the remaining yards are threatened or getting cleaned out, I think another spike in steel price would wipe out most of them. I'm doing all I can to save as many usable pieces as I can.

The biggest threat to this hobby is not lack of interest, as many here seem to think. It's the loss of raw materials to build from. Once the stuff is gone, it's gone forever. We're already fixing stuff that 20 years ago wouldn't even have been considered for parts.

Nailhead A-V8 and williebill like this.
  24. Squablow

Squablow

Old wolf, I do appreciate your willingness to haul stuff home from auctions and whatnot that often would not get saved, and sell it, or save it for the future. Your postings prove it, much more than a lot of people who call themselves "old car guys" do. But I do wish you wouldn't trash stuff on it's way out of the yard. I mean, it's yours to do whatever you want with it, you paid for it, but at the same time, it feels mean spirited and counter-productive.

I don't scrap much that isn't completely worthless, but if someone grabs it after I've dumped it and can do something with it, it doesn't hurt me at all, in fact, I think I'd like that more than it just going to waste forever.

25. rusty valley

rusty valley

hard to understand. you dont have other things to do that would be more productive for yourself than smashing shit to keep some one else from getting a deal!

LOST ANGEL and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  26. I have been to Martins on 34, lots of great stuff. Years ago when I lived southwest of Chicago there were 3 yards 1/2 hour from my house that had a shit load of OLD stuff, mostly all lined up in the back of the yards all neat and orderly. I used to LOVE and I honestly mean LOVE roaming the yards. The “smells”in some of those old hulks were amazing. The owners were all decent guys that let you hunt around to your hearts delight. There was one yard, STEINHOUSE?, he had nothing but old cars and motorcycles but they were kinda uptight about everything. I never really got to roam freely until the crusher showed up to clear it out, I did end up with a lot of good stuff for the Shovelhead I was building at the time. I originally built my 36 Chevy truck with parts from those yards. But alas, the beautiful ASSHOLES moved in and didn’t like living near a “JUNK YARD” so those dipshits ultimately pushed them out of business. I never got to take my son to those yards that gave me boners for many years, taking him up to Martins made his day and really turned back the clock for me, UNTIL we went to pay for the stuff we wanted. That was a real eye opener for sure. I really wish I had a time machine so I could go back to the simpler times when I was young, wouldn’t that be nice?? I know most of you guys can relate to what I’m saying, Mitch

brad2v and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  27. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

We still have some old scrap yards around here that you can go in and see what you can find. Unfortunately everything in them is rusty salty shit, being in Michigan.

28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Anyone from northern Wi. Remember Cousineau auto wreckers in antigo . Vacationed every summer 25 miles from there , in the 60's-early 70's I'd fill the boat up with parts for my car to take home! Great place nice people ...

29. 6sally6

6sally6

30. 6sally6

6sally6

What do the dogs do out there?????? There ain't a tree in sight!
    I can see the curvertor of the Earth!....WOW
    6sally6