Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Double U joint Steering Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark Wahlster, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Mark Wahlster

Mark Wahlster

I'm setting up my steering and I find that the shaft coming from the box and the column shaft do not meet centered they are off about 3/8" from being centered. The joint is about 30° best as I can get a measurement. The Borgeson U-Joint I have is rated at 35° is it possible to basically do the two angles at the same time with one joint? Or do I need to drop $172.00 on a double U joint? I already have a Hiem Bearing I plan on using for support.

So you know the chain of events here:

Willys CJ5 Chassis

Saginaw 525 mounted on frame rail, Coupler 36 spline to round short shaft (required to pass under the Front cross member U-Joint with Built in Vibration Dampener DD both ends shaft that passes through the Motor mount and passes the header with abut 1/4" clearance, This joint I am concerned about, then to an Ididit Classic Hot Rod Column.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I vote for a double U joint. That’s what I did with and intermediate support. 1/4” is pretty close. 4D766A54-83AD-42E7-B913-88A80904CA59.jpeg

3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

nunattax likes this.
  4. Mark Wahlster

Mark Wahlster

I agree 1/4" in not much clearance but Willys Jeeps were just not designed to wear a TRI Y header designed and built by a guy with no experiance and 1/4" is what I ended up with. I have not welded the Primary tubes to the flange yet so I am hoping to pull the tubes through the flange about 1/4" to gain some more down below.

I was talking about a double U-Joint not a pair of Joints (which I'm not sure I would have room for.

But I appreciate any help I can get.

5. Budget36

Budget36

No pics (wouldn't be allowed here anyways) but I did the double U-joint you're talking about. I put a Heim on both sides to support it. Gave me the room I needed.

Your's look vis the pic to have a 1/2inch, don't think I'd be concerned.

Wheel turn good without binds?

6. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would try to move the bottom of the column 3/8" and save the $172.

Phil

7. ...this is what you need...
    37 coupe build 147.jpg