Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Here it goes.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David68, Jan 10, 2020.

1. flynstone

flynstone

my 52 1/2 ton flatbed has mecury heads, factory?

2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Very good. Be sure to check the block surface for cracks at the water jackets and valves after you pull the heads. Flatheads are notorious for cracks. The cracks even come with their own part numbers. Does it smoke? Are the water passages rusted?
    You should get the block magnafluxed when you get the chance. Chances are good that your block is good but still need to be on the careful side.

Be sure to compare shop if you buy your own engine parts but don't be a cheap skate either.

Good luck.

warbird1 likes this.
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Curious...Which state are you in?

4. deucemac

deucemac

Remember that the stamped bellhousing for Merc takes a 10" clutch and the cast bellhousing for the trucks accepts an 11" clutch or the 10" Merc clutch. Either one needs its own starter plate to function properly.

5. leon bee

leon bee

It was looking like we were all going to be too polite to mention the cracks. That's the first thing you do, man, check for cracks. Even a "running" engine can have cracks in to the cylinders.

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I think I got confused by the term 1/2 truck bellhousing. I was thinking horizontally half but it must mean vertically. So I presume that the bellhousing shown is what I need? I sure hope so...

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It is not the face where the transmission bolts on that is angled.....it is the area on the lower front side of the bell housing where the starter plate bolts on that is slightly angled. The starter mounting flange on the plate for that particular bell housing ‘corrects’ that angle to keep the starter shaft centerline parallel with the crankshaft centerline.

This ‘angle’ thing only applies to certain stamped steel bell housings used with the small transmission bolt pattern...... not to the cast iron truck or ‘49-‘50/‘51 Mercury stamped ( so called 1/2 bell housings) for the older style transmission large diameter mounting flange.

There is an excellent thread, posted several years ago, that details in text and photos, all of the bell housing variations used by Ford and Mercury cars, Ford trucks and both V8 & 6 cylinder models. If you have any bell housing questions it is worth the time to do a search for that thread.

Ray

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    stillrunners likes this.
  8. Ziggster

Ziggster

Nice. Your lucky to have found one that was running. As others have mentioned, look for cracks after you pull the heads. These engines are now 70 years old, and really should go through a complete cleaning and rebuild if you are going to use it in anything. Probably not what you want to hear. I recently had mine rebuilt (short block), and it was a great learning experience researching for and purchasing most of parts myself. Whatever you dump into you are likely to get back if you ever decide to sell it as well. Good luck with your project. You made the right choice going with the flathead.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  9. David68

David68

New Jersey. Cream Ridge.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Rolling On Ground Laughing. I googled it for ya.

To the OP how you proceed depends on what you plan on doing with it I suppose. For general use I think I would first make sure that it is not stuck then open it up to see how clean it is. If its all glunked up or all rusted up (2 ends of the spectrum and common for any old engine) I would tear it apart and clean the hell out of it then go from there.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Thank you for the clarification. I remembered that something was at an angle and makes sense now that you explain it.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Okay...Was wondering. This way you can get help from a HAMBER in your area if needed.

13. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the Hamb and good luck on the flattie!
    05-logo2.jpg

stillrunners and Lepus like this.
  14. David68

David68

Flathead Dave I was wondering how to see who is in NJ. Can’t figure that out. Someone else mentioned it but could find the “person head” he was referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

If the profile page is filled out, the town will show under the avatar.
    You can also go to the upper left corner of the HAMB page, click on the three torso's and type in a member's name.

16. Hnstray,
    Sorry about the confusion over my bell housing,,,I should have stated it is for my 49 Merc.
    It was sold to me as a 50 model Merc housing,,,but I’m not sure on that either.
    I know the housing and starter plate are a matched pair,,,the rust and dirt pattern match up perfectly.
    But,,,according to the Van Pelts site,,,the starter plate is a Ford and not a Merc.
    The clutch diagram matches the 49-51 assembly for a V8,,,,,but not the Merc 49-51,,,or the Merc 52-54. It must be a Ford bell.
    It has a reinforced gusset in the plate,,,like the Ford did.
    Either way,,,it is in great shape and is the style of bell housing I wanted.

Tommy