Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does your kid drive is bad as you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pats55, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I taught my daughter how to drive. I bought her red Firebird and she blew the engine. So I put in a V eight. This is where things I think went bad.

Christmas night I followed her back home for about an hour. I was going around corners on 2 wheels and given it hell on the straightaways trying to keep up with her. Have you given birth to a hot rodder?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

don't know. I've never met him.

Lepus likes this.
  3. williebill

williebill

Nope, it's just because she's a girl. After she wrecks a couple, she'll slow down. At least that's what my daughter did. I also noticed my daughter doesn't tailgate nearly as bad as she used to. But she is 40 now, after all.

Flathead Dave and X-cpe like this.
  4. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Well, my son works on and races sprint cars for a living. I
    guess he never had a chance as he was raised in a race car shop during the week and the pits on the weekends.

wicarnut, Montana1 and Pats55 like this.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

My daughter went down the dragstrip the first time a few months after she got her license......
    She had a proud papa show'n her how to do burnouts with the LineLoc the week before. :)

6. X-cpe

X-cpe

Took my son a week and a half to wreck his first car. (Showing off for a girl.) A few years later, after his son was born, you never saw anyone leave a stop sign so smoothly or pay so much attention to speed limits. My daughter drove to Alaska the summer after high school. When she was 21, she was in Florida and wanted to come home. Her Blazer had over 200K on it and I didn't think it was a good idea for her to come back to Maryland by herself so I flew down to drive back with her. We took turns driving all afternoon and night and I could totally relax when she was driving.

wicarnut likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

No, my kids inherited some of their mom's driving skills...fortunately for them

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

My Son still has the '66 Nova we bought him for his 16th birthday, he'll be 46 at the end of February!
    And he is an Automotive Engineer! IMG_0050.JPG KK

9. My son is only 10, he drives our Kawasaki Mule very well, and does a great job on the John Deere loader tractor, and beautifully on the Farmall Cub cutting grass. However, he has NO FEAR on his four wheeler or dirt bike! So, yes, I have a little Hot Rodder!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wicarnut likes this.
  10. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sadly, my 32 year old son never showed any interest at all in cars or Harley's. I tried and tried but he has never even had a drivers license. I built a hot-rod Sportster for him (as a surprise) for his 16th birthday but he told me he had no interest in riding motorcycles so I gave it to my GF at the time. She really loved it and made sure I knew it for several months (lucky, happy me!!).

wicarnut likes this.
  11. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

My 16 year old son is as much of a gear head as I am. He loves rowing thru the 4 speed in my Model A and Im sure pushes it even harder when Im not in it with him. But he is very in tune to how it handles so I have pretty good faith in his abilities.

wicarnut, bchctybob and guthriesmith like this.
  12. Not sure yet...but I think my oldest is every bit of the hot rodder that I was at his age and I did lots of stuff that was pretty crazy. He just got his learners permit and drives pretty well overall. But, he loves driving my pickup with a little power and loves shifting gears. So, we will see how many things he blows up. The main problem I am concerned with is that he not only loves hot rods but is fearless. I am afraid I am in for a wild ride the next few years.

33Doll and wicarnut like this.
  13. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

We will always worry about them. I would rather see them confident behind the wheel than a one man traffic jam. If we can just break them from tailgating is a plus.

Going in for an angioplasty Wednesday. I think I let my wife drive.

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

My son drives a lot like I did when I was younger.
    His daily driver is a retired highway police Charger with a Hemi in it. He owns a 57 Dodge wagon we rebuild a few years ago, after it went under water in a flash flood, it also has a modern Hemi in it. His current project is an early 90s Ramcharger and it has a modern Hemi in it.
    My daughter drove her cars pretty hard when she was younger, but has settled down a bit since he has to pay for everything auto related. Her 19 year old son has a 64 Chrysler Newport, a CJ Jeep, and is always dragging home motorized projects. He is currently attending our local college in the Automotive field and is at the top of his class.
    I think I've done my part to farther the automotive hobby. Gene

wicarnut and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

16. williebill

williebill

good luck, Pats55

Pats55 likes this.
  17. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I think you answered your own question in the first sentence of this post...:D

18. papajohn

papajohn

My son has a need for speed, like my wife. My daughter drives more conservative like me.

wicarnut likes this.
  19. finn

finn

My son used his BSME degree to wrangle a job as, for lack of a better description, development and validation engineer for one of the auto manufacturers in Detroit. That translates to test driver.

I wouldn’t say he’s a bad driver, rather he doesn’t let any grass grow under his feet. Spends his days at the test track in Michigan and Arizona, winters in the UP ice field test tracks, Moab, and New Zealand, if required, to support program schedules and launch dates. Also does some drivers training on the ice and snow fields of new engineers just out of college

I haven’t seen him driving his own cars (cobra and Porsche) for years, as he has access to the department pool of development vehicles.

wicarnut likes this.
  20. 34Larry

34Larry

Had three daughters. The first one and last one were great drivers, the one in the middle wrecked her month old 280 Z, three times in 2 weeks. She was on my insurance. I stopped that and after that St. Farm included in my renewal notice the following; "Anyone in the world is authorized to operate your vehicles insured by us, except Xxxxx Xxx. :eek::eek:

Three hours after first posting the above.
    LaRae was her name. Lost her to Doctor prescribed opiods March 12, 2017 @ only 53. She was the pistol of the three, a kick in the ass, always going a thousand miles an hour and laughing.
    I taught all three how to drive in the snow, LaRae was the most fun, doing donuts, getting stuck trying out different methods of steering, starting out and stopping. Luckily there was a huge mall parking lot to learn in here in town. Sorry for getting into this, but well, I just miss her so much and the post just jogged my memories of her and my other two girls.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  21. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

My son started racing karts when he was 9 years old. By the time he was 16 he had won 3 WKA national championships. When he turned 16 I gave him my S-10 vortec v-6. About 200 hp. It ran pretty good. About a week after he got his license, I sent him to the store, really just to give him a reason to drive. We are in the country and the store is about 5 miles away in a very small town. I get a phone call. "Dad I wrecked the truck". I jump in the dually and head to the spot. There is the S-10 on the wrong side of the road in the ditch. Sheriff standing there with my kid. I walked up and gave the kid a little cuff to the back of the head. The Sheriff just grinned. I asked what happened. The kid says, "I came around the corner and it got a little sideways and I thought if I gassed it up it would straighten it up." As I posted earlier, he makes his living in the sprint car world. He has a degree in marketing. I kept him in school by bribing him with the sprint car. You either stay in school or you don't race my sprint car. He's really a good kid. Never gave us any real trouble. He never had a chance to get in trouble. Always in the shop working on the race cars. Now he's 35, married to a great gal, still racing sprint cars, and living in his own new house a half mile down the road from me. We are best buddies. Cars and racing have been good for our family.
    Sorry about the long brag. I'm obviously proud of my son.

22. Speeding ticket's, No ~ Driving to fast for conditions, No ~ loosing one's license for racing, No ~ but wrecking cars, Yes ~ both girls have totaled 7 cars since they started driving, but in their defense they were only responsible for one accident. HRP

23. Oh, I forgot the recent storm and high winds new years eve, we lost a pine tree that crushed Melissa's car :( #8. HRP

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Ron Funkhouser and wicarnut like this.
  24. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Our Girls Have Done Very Well But Who Would Want To Challenge My Record(s).. 15895246_1086556658137507_6627037798423556140_n.jpg

25. I learned to be a good driver after experiencing what it is to be a bad driver. I had to establish for myself that Newton's laws of motion can't be circumvented. In general, my kids would nod their heads upon hearing Dad's laws but I had plenty of evidence nothing penetrated past the bone and into the actual brain. They have all survived with very few hospital or emergency room visits, though, and if asked, might even tell you that their dad has gotten smarter since those driver training days. I wouldn't say any of their vehicles could be classified as "survivors", however.

Ron Funkhouser and wicarnut like this.
  26. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Wow you can start your a wrecking yard. The joys of having kids. I've been very fortunate my daughter has not gotten a ticket or an accident for over a decade now. I am the bad actor of the family. I excel in getting tickets for passing old ladies in no passing zones.

wicarnut and big duece like this.
  27. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Don't have any kids that I am aware of so the answer is no.

28. trollst

trollst

I trust both my kids with my hot rods, both really dig them. As adults now, they are both excellent drivers, oldest a boy, youngest a girl, who could and has taught her boyfriends how to drive 4X4 and a stick, however....my grandson, don't even care if he gets a license, absolutely no interest at all.

wicarnut likes this.
  29. desotot

desotot

Have I given birth to a hot rodder? Nope. My wife did. All six of them. Although I might have made a small contribution.

wicarnut likes this.
  30. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

You should have went to law school

wicarnut and clem like this.