Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Save of the day!!(single seater)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 14, 2017.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have brakes!!! After filling the master and only finding two small leaks I was able to bleed everything by myself with the aid of a small mash hammer that fit perfectly between the depressed brake pedal and steering box. Pump, pump, wedge the hammer and crack the wheel cylinder. Have to improvise when your in the shop by yourself.

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Made a wood buck and hammered out this little cover for my head rest. I am going to make a hinge at the bottom and magnet catch on the top, it will fold down so I can access my gas tank neck. BA38675D-1B01-43B7-81F9-2ACC46B273D4.jpeg 88721F91-1BAA-4D8B-831F-879BC393FD91.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Cosmo50, brEad, brad2v and 6 others like this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Got my little bottom hinge built today. CC2F2F63-914D-49BE-9ACB-2C3D4846A7D5.jpeg Now I just have to add the magnetic catch on the top.

OFT, brEad, 40two and 6 others like this.
  4. raven

raven

I just love the wood seat.
    r

Every once in a while, life gets a little more surreal.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Being a trim carpenter I’m a better wooden seat builder than a metal seat builder!:p

brEad likes this.
  6. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Man, for some reason this hasn't been showing in my watched threads pile. It sure is looking good.

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks, it is getting super close to firing her up. Had my high school auto shop teacher swing by yesterday to help with wiring and firing. He looked at it for a short while and said we could probably be ready for a test fire with in a few hours of work. I’m getting super stoked to see if the turd pile will run.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Stogy, brad2v and Fitty Toomuch like this.
  8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Did you run a compression test? These motors like to get stuck valves when they sit for a while in the open position.

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Nope had it running in the donor vehicle before I pulled it.

Stogy likes this.
  10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Man super good day here. Been doing a lot of leg work trying to get the car titled. Well today there was a South Dakota state title in the mailbox. So now the turd pile will be licensable.

Stogy, Blues4U, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  11. brad2v

brad2v

12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Vin numbers are stamped in the frame. It's now officially a 31 Chevy convertible. Not being a Chevy guy it makes me want to throw up a little calling this creation a Chevy! Ha ha!

Greenblade, Tim, King ford and 5 others like this.
  13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

What parts are GMC??? Seems to me it should be registered as a Farmall...or a Dodge. Well that's beaurocrats for you!!

We are the damned DMV, we will tell you what you have! It is our way or no hiway!

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

The only Chevy part on it is the 46 pickup headlight bucket/park light made into the headrest and a 39 steering wheel.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Stogy and Blues4U like this.
  15. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

That's great but I don't think it needs to be in writing...

King ford, brad2v and rwrj like this.
  16. RodStRace

RodStRace

Take a CHEVY and narrow it (and shorten it)
    CHEVY
    C]HE[VY
    HE is cool!

17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Tonight was a preview to a monumental event. My high school auto shop teacher came up to check all my wiring and to go over the motor, after 30/40 minutes of tinkering we poured some fuel down the carb and fired the ole girl up for a few seconds. I pulled a real boner and plumbed the fuel pump backwards so this weekend I will replumb and then fire this thing up for real! Man I'm super stoked.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  18. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Isn't that a good feeling? I'm happy for you. Any chance you can get a video, when it happens? Good luck.

Stogy and cactus1 like this.
  19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yeah super kool feeling, Ill see if I can get some video. I'm so fired up I want to go to the shop and keep putzin but I need to get more fuel line and other pieces parts.

Stogy and cactus1 like this.
  20. Rusty, ensure you have a vented cap also or a separate vent on the tank. Been there before:rolleyes:

Stogy likes this.
  21. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yes on the gas cap. I have the stock farm-all cap that is vented.

Stogy likes this.
  22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This morning I replubmbed the fuel pump, put gas in the tank and added fluid to the radiator,hit the starter and wham it fired up! I have a good sized water pump leak and a few small oil leaks to fix tomorrow and then I might be able to get behind the wheel and see if it moves. I still gets me when you hear your project fire for the first time especially when you started with absolutely nothing but junk.

23. atch

atch

Congrats; we've been rootin' for you for almost 3 years...

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats @rusty rocket on this most rewarding milestone which is just the beginning of a new adventure experiencing it's mobile offerings which I suspect may be if not sideways at least angular with backroad dirt flying...;)

25. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Time flys when your having fun. I didn't think it would have taken me this long to get to this point but with a spring blizzard in April that broke 16 pine trees and deck rebuild on the house that ate up the summer.

Stogy likes this.
  26. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

After multiple water pump installs and gasket changes I finally think I have the leak fixed. I had to use a 57-9 car water pump Which lowers the fan for hood clearance. Come to find out these pumps are extremely rare and finding part is a chore. So long story short I found out my set up uses a gasket that is slightly different from the stock pump, I could not find one so I ended up making one.
    So tonight after work might be the time to see if it’s going to move under it’s own power!

brEad, Stogy and Blues4U like this.
  27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Good luck. Hopefully your will be like mine. I pulled the coil wire, and cranked it with the starter till it showed 20 psi oil pressure. Dribbled some gas down the carb and set half choke. It started so quickly it scared me...

Stogy likes this.
  28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

DROVE IT!!!!!! Took it for a spin up and down our road have quite a few leaks to track down but what a god damn rush!!!!! Went thru all three forward gears and reverse with no problem. Sounds pretty damn good thru the 3” straight pipe and cackles Like a sum bitch when ya let off!!!!!!! BEA6A680-0B65-4BE0-9A79-5E34CBFFEC33.jpeg

29. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

What kind of temps did you get? How's the oil pressure?

Stogy likes this.
  30. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Temp went to 160 and oil pressure at start was 60 and then down to around 40 after it warmed up a bit.

brEad, Stogy and RodStRace like this.