Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Here it goes.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David68, Jan 10, 2020.

1. David68

David68

Hey guys I joined yesterday when I finally picked up my new/old Flathead from a guy in South Jersey. Loaded it up and brought it home. Yanked it out and (weather here in Central Jersey is awesome today) left it carcass outside. Here are a few pics. Please give me comments and thoughts on how to proceed. I have a Flathead book and have been studying it from cover to cover like a ASE exam. Again I included a few pics for some feedback. If anyone is from IMG_0059.JPG IMG_0060.JPG IMG_0061.JPG IMG_0062.JPG Jersey and wants to help wrench or spread some knowledge the beer is always cold at the shop.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

deadbeat, Desoto291Hemi and 49ratfink like this.
  2. Nice looking old motor. But I don't think it's a flat head. Judging by the colour, it's probably a small block Chevy.

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Based on the water pumps and the 8rt on the heads you most likely have a 48-53 truck engine with an 11 inch clutch. the numbers on the back of the block mean nothing. But, things get changed around over the years. You may get lucky and find a 4 inch crank when you open her up.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  4. David68

David68

ROGL!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. David68

David68

Yeah this was in a truck. What’s the issue? Plan on putting this in a ‘29 coupe.

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No issue. The 8rt truck heads are the lowest compression of the available stock heads with EAB heads being the most desirable IMO. 8ba heads are in between the 8rt and EAB heads compression wise. You'll need the truck pumps anyway to make the install easier in your '29. What trans are you planning on using? If you run a '39 or earlier top loader you'll need a 1/2 bell housing from either a Merc (stamped steel) or a truck (cast iron). A '40 or later side loader will need a full bell housing. Or there is always the automatic option with an adapter.

7. David68

David68

Thanks!!! your the first person to give me some great answers. If I change the heads and go aftermarket I should be able to increase compression? I was planning on a top loader trans but that option is still open. There is a guy in Pennsylvania offering one.

8. Oh man,,,,I am excited for you.
    I just got mine a couple of months ago.
    Your engine looks like it is Ford Tangerine color,,,I’m just guessing.
    Welcome to the Flathead club,,,,it is a sickness !

Tommy

It looks good,,,,will it spin over ?

Boneyard51 and Flathead Dave like this.
  9. Oh yeah,,,,you might consider adding a clue to your thread title.
    Add the word Flathead in there somewhere,,it will get more views,,,and more advice.

Tommy

10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

What?
    Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. David68

David68

Yeah it was running. Plan on pulling the heads and checking the valves. Gonna also drop the pan and check the bearings.

Old wolf and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Tell us what you want to do with your flathead so we can give better advice.

And welcome to the flathead world.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  13. David68

David68

Plan on putting it in a ‘29 coupe my father drove when he was a kid. Thinking on putting a top loader trans to a modern 9 inch rear. Gonna put a K member in the stock chassis. Juice breaks with 5.00’s in the front and 7.50’s in the rear with a 4 inch chop.

deadbeat and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Not to Hi Jack! but are you guys saying that a complete cast iron bell housing will not accept a '39 transmission?

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A '39 trans will bolt up to an 8ba with either a cast iron 1/2 bell housing from a truck or a 1/2 stamped steel bell housing from a Merc. Not sure what you mean by a complete cast iron bell housing. IIRC there was a full cast iron bell housing that was used in Mercs for a short time but that used the narrow bolt pattern Ford trans not the '39 and earlier pattern.

16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

What kind of Toploader? The original Flathead type, or the '60s one?

What does ROGL mean?

17. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

A '39 transmission bolts up to a 59ab block. This one is an 8BA; doesn't have the bell housing that the earlier ones have. The '39 transmission will fit onto an 8BA with a 1949 or 1950 Mercury or truck bell housing, I think. The 1951 Mercury had the small bolt pattern transmission so that bell housing is different.

stillrunners likes this.
  18. David68

David68

Original flathead type ROGL-rolling on the ground laughing.

Beanscoot likes this.
  19. Yeah,,,,here is the bell housing for my 49 Merc,,,,,it takes the narrow pattern tranny.

Tommy

Attached Files:

20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Do you plan on rebuilding the motor?

21. David68

David68

Just gonna give a really good overhaul. Check the valves, rods, cam and new head gasket..etc.

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

So these two don’t to get to be married? I actually haven’t tried a conjugal mating yet... 2CFFEB93-8CFB-478F-A9D1-1A426801C47A.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  23. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

8RTs were Rogue Red and that looks to be right with fading and all.

24. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol, just what the f**k are you drinking tonight? That's obviously a Hemi!

alanp561, David68 and Flathead Dave like this.
  25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Early model year 1951 models used the same transmission design as the ‘49/‘50 Mercs.
    Mid-year’51 Mercury switched to the ‘49/‘64 Ford small bolt pattern transmission. That particular bell housing is a half year only item as the clutch throw out shaft design was same as prior models. In ‘52 Mercury adopted the lever arm that Ford introduced in ‘49 and shared the bell housing design with Ford.

I am pretty sure that bell housing is not a ‘49 Merc item. It is either a ‘49/‘53 Ford bell housing or a ‘52/‘53 Mercury item......see comments immediately above your quoted post.

Ray

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  26. Don't forget the bottom plate which the starter bolts to on the 8BA type of bell housing - if what you look at doesn't have it - you need to source one. That's on all the 8BA bell housings - they need the corresponding starter plate.

Hnstray likes this.
  27. Oh....nice looking engine - there should be a code on the left side - driver's side of the block between the intake and head just behind the back of the carb....might tell you what year. If it turns over - with the head off - measure the distance the piston travels down to bottom and back up - 4" and you have a Merc crank....good for 255 cubic inches !

28. Oh yes sir,,,
    I have the starter plate,,,it matches the bellhousing.

Tommy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  29. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

From what I can see, that transmission fits that motor.

30. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Another note to note. Six cylinder's had a pressed steel bell housing but is different. As I remember, the face where the transmission bolts on is angled or something like that.