Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical anyone ever ship a transmission?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt31, Jan 10, 2020.

1. chopt31

chopt31

I have a borg and warner 4 speed that a friend of a friend wants, BUT he is1000 miles away, I have never sent a 4 speed, not even sure I can UPS it, it is heavy, it is dated 1979 but is cast iron, I thought they had aluminum casing?, anyway, whats the best way to package it? thanks

2. Mac VP

Mac VP

UPS Ground takes up to 150 lbs. we ship the 3 speed transmissions via UPS in wood crates and those are typically 140 to 147 lbs. if you built a crate sturdy enough to handle the 4 speed it would probably end up over 150 lbs. consider shipping it banded down to a wood skid, and shipping it via Fastenal. It would go from your local store to the Fastenal nearest to your buyer.

LOU WELLS, scotty t and john worden like this.
  3. Stooge

Stooge

I've never shipped one, but ive had one shipped to me before. Went with Fastenal, probably took a little over a week or so for it to make it to my local store. Was $125 or $150, they called when it arrived and even loaded the pallet it was on into the back of the truck with their forklift. Ive used them a few times after that since it was a good experience and would be who i would use again

4. Maybe you guys can work out a relay. HRP

DeucePhaeton likes this.

5. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Gray Hound bus. I sent a bw t10 in wood box.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Phoenix24 likes this.
  6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I've used Fedex freight with good results.

Pat

irishsteve likes this.
  7. afaulk

afaulk

I shipped a powerglide from Jasper, Ala to JW transmissions in Florida last January. Truck freight, in a good crate that could be forklifted was $96. Use Holland Motor Freight or AAA Cooper. They ship really expensive stuff such as aircraft engines all over the USA. Good reliable companies. Just dont be surprised that they dont insure stuff. If you have a good crate you wont have any problems.

8. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Yep, crate it or band it to a stout pallet to protect the input and tail-shafts from damage. LTL freight gets cross docked and most forklift operators aren’t all that careful. Package it accordingly...

9. nickleone

nickleone

Greyhound max weight is 100#.

ick

10. KenC

KenC

I've shipped 3spd w/OD on Fedex with good results. 1500Miles or so, cost about 125 I think. Should be close to the weight of your 4spd. I used a heavy cardboard box with wood reinforcements.

irishsteve likes this.
  11. Hombre

Hombre

I just received a Muncie M20 that I bought on the auction site. Shipping from Nevada to Alabama was $87.00 guy who shipped it did a really bad job of packing he wrapped it in about 200 yds of what looks like saran wrap, put into a card board box with some shipping peanut's and some paper loosly hanging out in there. When I got it I was worried at just how many pieces it was in. Much to my surprise everything was cool. He did ship it by FedX.

If it was me shipping one I would for certain build a simple plywood box, maybe build it on a pallet, like let the pallet be the bottom of the crate. And then either strap or bolt it down inside the box. Good luck!

Hnstray likes this.
  12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Think about how you would want it shipped to you and build accordingly.

rusty valley likes this.
  13. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Shipped a 50 Olds 3 speed to Texas from California. I used a tub I got at Walmart. Used a piece of plywood cut to fit for the floor. Then I got some expanding foam sealant and sprayed it into a garbage bag and let it set for a couple of minutes until it was done expanding then put the transmission on it until the foam cured which then you have a bed that fits the transmission. Sort of the same principle that some radiator dealers use when shipping a new radiator. Did the same for the top half. Then I screwed the lid on. I think it cost me $60 but that was about 12-13 years ago.

mountainman2 and Hombre like this.
  14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I shipped a non over drive 3 speed Merc flathead trans to Washington state using FedEx. Bolted it down to a board that just slipped into a heavy card board box that a refrigeration compressor came in. I reinforced the inside of the box with plywood. Got there with no damage. Can't remember how much it costs but it wasn't outrageous.

15. I ship with Fastenal. Have done engines and transmission east coast to west coast and never one issue. Always crated though not open for eyes to see.

Black_Sheep likes this.
  16. whateverit takes

whateverit takes
    from Florida

I purchased a OT 68 Dodge station wagon rear gate with glass via Fastenal. I think they call it 3PL (Third Party Logistics) It has to be crated per their rules (they will explain) and brought to their facility. They add it to their normal routes so it gets there when their connections are made. Your buddy has to pick it up on the other end. I paid $155.00 from western MI to Long Island, NY. The tail gate had to weigh 175 lbs.

17. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Build a wooden box and bolt it in to the wood, I ship them Fedex.

18. error404

error404
    from CA

I just received from FedEx a 120 pound TKO600 in a CARDBOARD BOX, not a crate. (140 pounds shipping weight). It was very well packed, and surprised me that there wasn't a wood structure on the inside. It was just very thick very dense cardboard. No clue what it cost to ship it.

19. Ive shipped my pants several times.

Lil32, nochop, ekimneirbo and 2 others like this.
  20. wvenfield

wvenfield

I shipped one once. Put it on a pallet and wrapped with layer after layer after layer of saran wrap. Shipped it by truck but I think to do that you have to have a commercial place to ship it from.

21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I've sent two Muncie 319 3 speed with overdrive transmissions to different locations. Had the first guy send the plywood box I made back, and reused it for the second. Too much "stuff' involved with Fastenal, so UPS got the nod; besides, the first guy either worked for UPS or a relative did and he got a discount. Personally, I think I'm out of the transmission shipping business; just too much "stuff" involved when your buyer wants a shipping quote first, and you have to cart it back and forth. Best to either build a wooden box, find a small footlocker, or go with multiple cardboard boxes and lots of packing. Drain the gearbox and put a label on the trans it's empty. Use UPS or Fed-Ex unless you go with a freight carrier/trucking company. Sent a bench seat out (that I gave away) with a trucking company, and had the seat side panels in a cardboard box so they would't get beaten up; they lost the box. ???). Things like transmissions/engines/rear ends, are all available everywhere, so I'd start looking locally first.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

22. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I shipped an iron Ford toploader 4 speed via UPS. I built a stout wooden crate with 2 bulkheads in it, and a built in handle on each end. It got there fine.

23. evintho

evintho

I shipped this T5 via FedEx ground. Coast to coast $85. Mounted it on the 2x4s in the pic and wrapped it in saran wrap. That was it.

[​IMG]

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had good luck with Fedex freight. Not as fast as regular fedex but a bit less expensive. I've shipped via Both UPS and Fedex and have accounts with both. I haven't had reason to try Fastenal yet but the guys at the store closest to me take pretty good care of me when I go in and buy stuff for a guy who usually buys pretty small quantities.
    A number of years of receiving freight that was very often very expensive machine parts Says take the time and effort to build a crate or buy one of those black tubs with a yellow lid from Costco. A piece of plywood to fasten the trans to with a couple of 2 by what ever to have it solid and what ever filler you want to use to keep it from bouncing around and zip tie the lid on with the holes provided. Guys haul anything and everything to Alaska on Horizon/Alaska airlines in them all the time.
    Or build a wood crate just the right size to fit the trans in. put a couple of boards across the ends of the bottom to make it easy to get a hand truck under it and make some sort of hand hold on each end so it can be grabbed and picked up if they have to. The Habitat store should have some scrap material for a few bucks that saves buying 30 bucks worth of new stuff at Home Depot if you don't have some laying around. I raid their store all the time for small pieces of plywood or short lengths of lumber. Sometimes those skinned up cabinet doors that they stick in a bin for little of nothing work good where you don't need something to look nice but just need it functional.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  25. I received a tremec 3650 that has the integral bellhousing in a 55 gallon plastic drum. The style that has the removable lid. It was strapped to a pallet. I gave the shipper an A for creative. :)

26. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have shipped some big stuff via Fastenal fastened to a skid with nothing hanging over. Just be sure the one you are picking to send it to has the ability to deal with freight. Not all of them are set up to. I shipped a pair of fenders to a guy and the closest Fastenal 10 minutes away couldn't handle them. He had to have them sent to one about 40 minutes away.

27. kjmmm

kjmmm

I have shipped a transmission in a five gallon heavy duty plastic bucket. Put the nose down with padding to protect the input shaft. Cut a hole in the top of the bucket just big enough to let the tailshaft through. Pad and wrap this and secure the handle of the bucket to the tailshaft. I think it went U.P.S..

28. 51 mercules

51 mercules

i received three. 39 Ford trans was in a crate, no problem from fed ex. La Salle trans just cardboard and bubble wrap, no problem from Fed ex. 32 Ford Trans in cardboard box, all broken up from DHL

29. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Whatever you use, GET INSURANCE . I guarantee you will hate the sinking feeling when they break it or lose it and they tell you they aren't responsible for it. If you have ever been to a shipping terminal and seen them open the back doors on a semi trailer, you will wonder how anything made the trip successfully.

I had good luck finding reasonable prices and shipping with these people. They provide quotes from multiple companies. A friend who owns a business and "gets a discount" got a quote somewhere for me. They wanted $1000 but with his discount it would only be $500. Tried these people and found a quote for $200. With shipping I think its always a crapshoot. https://www.freightcenter.com/quote/Index/

When you do the freight quote you will see that weight costs money. If you have or can get a suitable cardboard box, then put a secured tag attached to the trans with all your info and the buyers info. Wrap the trans in a plastic bag. Get some spray in foam and spray it in the bottom of the box. After it begins to setup, set the trans with the bag surrounding it, into the box and add a little more foam. Do it somewhat in stages so it doesn't push the sides of the box out. When you have the box full or nealy full, the trans should be immobile and act as one with the box. Then write the buyers info on the box and cover it with clear box tape. Wrap some tape completely around the box in at least three places. and once or twice end to end. That should make it about as light as you can get and still be pretty strong. The plastic bag prevents the foam from sealing against the trans so the buyer can get it out later.
    If you use a pallet, find a small one. A crate is too heavy.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  30. Just got a T5 from FL to Ca from Fedex.112 bucks.Came in a long cardboard box wrapped in tape.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020