Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barris " AZTEC @ MECUM AUCTIONS.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by mikhett, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Now I had to watch these nervous auctioneers for hours with all their stupid stuttering and stammering and then the auction lasted 1 minute and it did not even sell. Disappointing.

John B, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  2. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

Wish I was there, and had $ 175,000.I would have bought it, and be proud to own it. Shame it did not sell.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. I think the reserve was higher.

Stogy and AChopped1950ford like this.
  4. Bidding isn't over they just ram them through for television and then bidding can go on behind the scenes. It still might not sell but unless they get a bidding war going almost immediately they just move on to the next car regardless of what it is.

5. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

Thanks, I'll have to re watch it and pay more attention to what the reserve was.........sure was nice to see the car.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the auction estimate was 350,000-450,000... that is usually an indication of the reserve

7. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

True

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree on the much higher reserve. It is still a case of you have to have more than one person who really wants the car bad to get the bidding up into the 300K+ range on most of them. I watched the bidding on the Bullet Mustang (the actual one from the movie) jump up so fast you couldn't keep track because people with seriously deep pockets wanted it bad.
    I'd have think that someone will now try to work a deal on it at somewhere between the 150K and 300K .

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Shoulda taken the million.

11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Barry has not posted here since Aug. of 2016 and I understood that he passed away around that time and the Aztec was sold to the present owner after his death. Larry

lurker mick, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I still wanna be Mark Moriarity when I grow up!
    He has the coolest toys on the block.
    KK

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

hahahahaha.......

Hank37, VANDENPLAS and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  14. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

I'am not to sure about that. I talked to him this last fall and he just had some shots of his '46 ford on Rik's site from the end of Dec & first part of Jan.

15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Then I was misinformed . Sorry about that and am glad Barry is still with us. Larry

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats Good News fellas...Health to Barry and wish he would chime in...he had a lot to offer to this place...and glad he brought the Aztec back...

@Atomic Kustom say Hello to Barry for us if you see him and let him know the Hamb would like to see him back...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    stanlow69 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Followed up on @Atomic Kustom post and checked out Riks site and the posts on Barrys 46 build and Rik mention Barrys posting on facebook so I did search and he was posting a couple hours ago. But I know I saw a sidebar notice in one of the so called custom mags I was getting for a few years that he had passed. Just proves you can't believe everything you read! lol Glad I was misinformed! Larry

John B and Stogy like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is very good News and not the first I have seen this...

I often through search Note Threads with O.Posters or members that had great content and they have been off and I always hope all is well and I'm left wondering what happened to the cool info they shared...

Was the Restoration by Barry Documented in Thread or Video?

19. Are you maybe thinking of Jim McNeil the owner of the Hirohata Merc? He passed away in the spring.

20. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

No, this was something I saw a few years back. But I am sorry to hear about Jim. Kind of sad in away that it will always be known as the Hirohata Merc, Bob owned it about three year's and Jim owned it over 60! Larry

stanlow69 and Stogy like this.
  21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Stogy likes this.
  22. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Looks like 56 ford custom line or ranch wagon

blowby and Ltorch like this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well shucks, I waited to make a store run until after they showed the Aztec go across the block and they chopped the show off to show some soccer match overseas somewhere. That was a delayed broadcast because I had already read on here that it didn't sell.
    Barry does post on a FB show what you have been doing on your traditional custom group pretty regular. Usually about the 41.

Stogy likes this.
  24. 'Mo

'Mo

Sam Barris' own personal '55 Chevy ran modified '56 Ford trim. (Coincidence?)

[​IMG]

stanlow69, VANDENPLAS, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  25. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

And if I remember correctly from what Pat Ganahl wrote, maybe in R&C when he was there, did a pretty meticulous restoration of it mostly by himself while he owned it. Maybe there's a thread on that somewhere already.

26. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I heard it failed to sell

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. I’m sorry, “Haters gonna hate”
    But this thing is done very well!
    The “targa top” is way ahead of its time, and yes it does have some Features that are tacky, but for the most part it works and flows very well as a custom.
    It’s over the top, as it should be for the era it was built in, without. In my opinion. Not being over the top stuck with knobs and annenas and Chrome n shit and what not just to garner points, but done in a way that I think flows and looks good.
    When the Golden Sahara was “ rediscovered” and pushed through the auction I appreciated what it stood for, but honestly thought my dog pushed nicer looking creations out of his asshole then what that car was!
    Then as I looked at it more, The more it grew on me, the more I appreciated the skill involved to build a car like that in that time frame.
    I know like it, a lot ! Lol!
    Before I found the Hamb I thought T’s and A’s where primitive hot rods, no fun, just an image.
    I will own one in the next 3 years !
    People’s tastes change and evolve.
    Things change.
    Stuff you did not like as a teen you love as a 40 something adult.
    I dunno.
    That’s what makes this website great.
    It’s full of opinions, and there just like assholes....... we all got ‘em! Love em or hate em !!!

730365C1-A684-46F5-9AF7-67EE2C74A910.gif

stanlow69 likes this.