Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Hemi Powered Chevrolet Roadster - Coupster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mrrilla, Dec 30, 2019.

1. mrrilla

mrrilla
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Vail,AZ

I kinda like the no windshield look! DSC02603.JPG DSC02602.JPG

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’s shaping up!

3. GO MAN,GO! LQQKING GOOD!

4. mrrilla

mrrilla
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Vail,AZ

My boys wanted to quail hunt this past weekend so I didn't get much done. I made my body mounts (6x) out of 1.75 inch diameter, 80A Durometer, polyurethane round stock. DSC02612.JPG

5. mrrilla

mrrilla
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Vail,AZ

I also made some quarter panel bracing. These might be overkill but I wanted those B-pillars to be rock solid. I also decided that I might want to make a folding soft top someday so I wanted some non-evasive provisions on both the sides and back rail. These tie into the square tubing along the rail and the sheet metal bracing.....if that makes sense. DSC02608.JPG DSC02607.JPG DSC02605.JPG DSC02604.JPG

6. mrrilla

mrrilla
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Vail,AZ

couple more..... DSC02613.JPG DSC02609.JPG

7. chev34ute

chev34ute

I have been following this build with great interest.
    Coupes over here are too rare to cut up into roadsters so you don’t see any being turned into Roadsters.

The proportions on yours look spot on, it makes you wonder why Chevrolet did not make them this size all along.

Josh the Painter and Thor1 like this.
  8. Blue-Collar-HotRods

Blue-Collar-HotRods

Your doing very nice work, really enjoying your build!

9. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Enjoying the build. It's come a long ways!

nunattax likes this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

This is really nice. Your metal work is great. Glad to see so much Chevy! Glad you didn't Fordicate it. :eek:

12. Very nice. I like that you kept the bumpers . Did you really leave the bumpers on through the whole build ? How many times did you hook your leg or bang your shin in the last 6 years :oops: ?

Thor1 and sloppy jalopies like this.
  13. mrrilla

mrrilla
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Vail,AZ

I actually laughed out loud when I read this. I tack my shins once a month and nearly everyone that stops by for a beer or two ends up with a bruised shin or on the ground.

I call them the widow makers.

Thor1 and 34 GAZ like this.
  14. mrrilla

mrrilla
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Vail,AZ

I appreciate the comment. I am trying to make this look as factory as I can but making the proportions a little more driver friendly.

Thor1 likes this.
  15. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

My two cents. Your windshield is too far forward. If it could be fitted on top of the transitional area between the cowl and the dash. That would also cover up the flat area. If it would work, place the windshield there and fill in the gap. I understand this is easy for me to say since I am just sitting looking at the pictures rather then the one doing the actual work. ;)

On my Model A, the windshield is farther back.

16. WC Durant

WC Durant

The floors look fantastic. I really appreciate the non Ford build, particularly when it has a hemi. Looking forward to the progress on this one.

17. WC Durant

WC Durant

18. mrrilla

mrrilla
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Vail,AZ

I thought about how to move the frame back and I was up against two issues. The first was making the rounded cowl transition into the very square door top. The stanchions already don't quite fit the Chevy Cowl and by moving them aft just makes that fitment even worse. The second was placing the stanchion reinforcement plate behind the cowl and fitting that into the C-Channel A-pillar. I think I figured how to do it but it'll require some major surgery to this area yest again. The other huge downside is that I already sliced and diced a stock 32 Ford windshield frame and now I need some width back. I can not for the life me find the pieces I removed so it looks like I'll be buying another frame to cut up yet again.

I'll post up pictures of the steps I went through once I get my new frame.

wicarnut and Thor1 like this.
  19. mrrilla

mrrilla
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Vail,AZ

I am still working on the body but on the non-glamorous tasks like rust repair. I replaced the entire lower section of the quarter panels on both sides and replaced the rear corner panels. I made these panels follow the lines of the frame rather than straight across like the stock design. I also rolled the lower edge to give it some strength whereas the original wheel well was basically flat. You can also see that I rolled a lip into the floors so I could spot weld the quarter panels to them. This really tied everything together and stiffened it right up. I also plugged the fender nutplate holes since I opted out of the rear fender look.
    DSC02615.JPG DSC02616.JPG DSC02620.JPG

Attached Files:

20. mrrilla

mrrilla
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Vail,AZ

I also finished off the floor by filling in the last two openings that tie into the B-Pillar. Pretty simple pieces with the rolled downward edge to tie into the quarter panel just behind the B-pillar. The is okay but it'll need some seam sealer. DSC02623.JPG

21. mrrilla

mrrilla
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Vail,AZ

I also worked on the A-Pillar to tie in the cowl to my C-Channels. I am relying on the cowl skin, dash, and a small amount of stiffeners on the backside to keep the C-channel from twisting. Luckily, the doors weigh next to nothing and the plan seems to have worked because the welded structure is stiff but still pretty lightweight. Still needs a little more weld cleanup and a skim coat of filler. You can also get a preview of the window stanchion area surgery that is about to happen. Again tying the backside plate into the A-pillar for strength purposes will be tricky. DSC02622.JPG
    DSC02622.JPG

22. You are building one sweet ride, sir! Looking very sweet indeed!

23. 6sally6

6sally6

I just can't get past a near HUNDRED year old car and it just has some surface rust on it!!! Do you know what it would(have) looked like if it was left outside in south Ga or SC?! You could rake it up in a big dust pan!
    Amazing!
    6sallyOK..........a little more than surface rust but........you get-my-drift!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  24. mrrilla

mrrilla
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Vail,AZ

Got a love those dry climate cars..... from eastern Washington through Montana down to Arizona and California

Six Ball likes this.
  25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I was very lucky with the sheet metal I started with. When we were young we didn't give a second thought to anything with rust. It was not worth the effort to build a rusted out Duce if a pristine '29 was available. Things have changed. Of course way back then they hadn't had time to rust much. :rolleyes:

26. 282doorUK

282doorUK

So nice to see someone rodding a '28 Chevy, or any old Chevy, and keeping the parallel springs.
    I've followed too many Chevy hot rod builds that are going very nicely and then the front axle gets ditched for a F**d one and I tend loose interest.
    Herd mentality at work there maybe, but I say dare to be different, so glad we agree..:D

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I call it Fordication, it's nasty and you don't want your mom to know you do it. :eek:

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  28. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Run no windscreen and wear red baron goggles......now that'd be traditional !!!

29. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Haha, quite so..:D

30. r2c1

r2c1

I'm doing the same, only it's a non fendered 27 Chev coupster. I agonized over the front corner sweeps also, so this what I did. IMG_20150209_103038390[2] (2016_11_26 05_14_26 UTC).jpg