Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lets all meet at bonneville....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Dec 30, 2019.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After 25-30 times since 1974, I’m kinda glad to read about it. It will wear you out and your wallet will always take a hit. If I’m helping or running it’s different but at 75 that’s pretty much done. If you go have fun which will be tough not to do for car nut:D

At one time Rick Gold at the Fuel truck had long sleeve tee’s, with VP I don’t know..

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Boneyard51, Tman and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Best of luck to youse guys in 2020.....although my Uncle had to wait until 1950 due to the heads from Sharp not being ready and didn't run again - until after his service in Korea - running in 1954 - 1955 and 1956....it just hasn't been on my bucket list. Maybe if and when his roadster shows up I might be inclined......... 1950 bville time slip.jpg

3. ConradK

ConradK
    from Austin

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Couple of hints . . .

If you stay at the "Bend", position your trailer hitch out, close to the road – and not far out to the end of the road where you enter the Salt Flats either. If it rains, it's a quick pull out.

And, with Wendover hotel/motel rates high on the first weekend, consider commuting. Here in California some working people (what a thrill to not be one) spend hours on hours every day in traffic. Consider staying in Wells, Salt Lake, even Ely for a day or two. At least you won't have to fight the traffic and the speed limits are high.

And please don't put a phony number and/or class on your hot rod. Especially if it doesn't fit the class, now or ever. Some of us know the difference.

Jet96, trollst, Boneyard51 and 3 others like this.
  5. Also, while most spectators want to be there for that first weekend(Fri-Sun), by Monday there are usually rooms available since the crowds have thinned out a bit....

trollst, Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. derbydad276

derbydad276

dang already submitted all my vacation time for 2020 between
    Autorama , The St.Ignace show ,& DreamCruise Im out of time

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

If yous guys don't stop talking about this you're gonna end up talking me into going...

Boneyard51, chryslerfan55 and trollst like this.
  9. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

Just reserved my KOA spot!

Boneyard51 and trollst like this.
  10. trollst

trollst

Blues4U, you're in So Cal, you have to go, its a short drive for you, Me? Long ways, from Princeton B.C. to utah, quite the jaunt, lotsa miles, looking forward to each and every one.

11. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I went with a friend a couple years ago. Got sun burnt is places that I didn't know I could. Lips got swollen.....Just saying, Sun Block, big hat, long sleeve shirt, plenty of water and shade. I may just go back this summer. What a place!!! 1100 miles from here. Gary

trollst, Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I forgot it was KOA day,,, got our spot,,,

13. It was more like 10pm but that hotel room floor was a welcome bed! We have organized HAMB get togethers many times on the Salt with varying degrees of success. You gotta remember folks are spread out over 15 to 20 miles btween the pits, the courses, Wendover the Bend etc. Add to that a bunch of us are busy running cars and it is hard to get a large gathering going. Folks are just busy, lazy or tired. Evenings in Wendover seem to be the best time for Bench Racing.

14. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those who haven't been there here are 2 pictures from last year 2019 One is at the bend in the road , notice the lack of neighbours. The other is from the 3 mile mark on the salt. If you can rough camp the bend is fine . 20190809_175813.jpg 20190810_075842.jpg

15. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Good shot of your viewing area at the 3. Let's just remind anyone that they can't camp overnight anywhere near the course(s).

16. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DON’T GO!!! You will EXPLODE!!!

Went in ‘11 and have felt strange ever since. Don’t think I’ll ever recover.

All seriousness aside, stayed in motels in Wells every night. Easy 1hr+- commute. Excellent truck stop food+drink. Filled the cooler w/ samiches+beers early each morning, and off to the Races. CF052D83-B7C3-4860-BA18-9AA300D68366.jpeg Typical scene @ the Bend.
    SPD/WK/‘11

17. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And like @Jethro sez, you’ll be VERY happy with a minimum of everything you see here.
    (Awning need not be checkered, but what the hell, eh?)
    ED95A348-E8DC-4E8E-8784-BD8D4A3CAF8F.jpeg

trollst, chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I still haven’t got an answer to the question” can you drive your ATV from the Bend to Bonneville?” Mine is not street legal. I understand it three miles of public highway, but I know of several places that put on events and the gestopo will look the other way. Got to Know what to bring. Would like to hear from folks that have been there.

Bones

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I would suspect you can parallel the entrance road on the side. They will etill want to see your entrance pass or collect your money at lands end. You do need an OHV sticker. I think.

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't have a car that will make it that far. I'll have to steal one if I want to go.

21. s-l1600.jpg View attachment 4538310 View attachment 4538311 so I got real stoked on going . I was looking into rental cars and thougth about it a bit .Decided I did not want to go in rental . Then I found this on ebay 44500 original miles . Look for me at the bend in my new ride .

22. 28rpu

28rpu

Good for you! You'll never regret it.

23. I've been numerous times since 2002, only missing 2 years 2017 and 2018. It is 1800 miles for me now; used to be 600 or 700 miles when I lived in CA or NM. The whole Bonneville experience is just better with an old hot rod if you can do it. If you camp, the expenses can be kept lower for sure. Everyone is friendly, racers and spectators alike. Just do it if you can.

Boneyard51 and trollst like this.
  24. I went in 2009, it was fun. Here's a tip: Salt is very reflective. If you wear baggy shorts, you'll want to apply sunscreen where you don't usually apply it. *wink* You can get sunburned on the underside of your chin, nose and ears, too. I don't walk very well, but I can still ride a bicycle and I think that's a good way to get around. Evenings at the Nugget are a blast. If you drive on the salt, be sure to use the guy who washes the salt off at the exit. It keeps the salt there and the cost goes to SCTA_BNI, I think. Those who come from south of Bonne should also check out the museum and working railroad restoration shop in Ely. Nevada Northern RR I think it is. Hilo Hotrodder has a good idea in buying a prerusted beater. Unless you don't mind hosting the tin worm in your hot rod. Unless you blow the car apart when you get home, you'll never get all the salt out.

Boneyard51, trollst and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. trollst

trollst

Well, been looking at motel room costs, thats not gonna happen, its not the price, its the principle. So, been looking for a cheap teardrop or copy to stay at the bend, which sounds like fun anyway, so far not much luck, but a buddy who is coming suggested bringing his covered car trailer and setting up living quarters in it. Its an idea, but at this stage only that, I don't like sleeping on the ground, so a tent is out, a tent trailer isn't big on my list either, so my options are open. I really would like to drive mary there and back, and that is the plan, so I'll keep looking. BUT, I AM GOING, got a few months to find something to pull. I'm thinking a bicycle is a good option, looking for other good ideas, if others want to meet along the way, maybe we can work out a plan here somehow.....

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

What I did several , well many, years ago, was to make a tent trailer out of my 16 ft regular trailer. What I did was drill holes in the railing every four feet and bolt a short piece of round stock to it. Then I slipped about a 3 foot piece of 1 inch conduit over it, then a 45 degree elbow, then about a four ft piece to a 90 degree elbow, then another four ft piece to a 45 and down to the other piece of round stock on the other side. Made five sets of these, then wrapped a large Blue tarp around it. Made a great “ tent trailer” cheap! I’ve been deer hunting in Colorado twice in it and Sturgis several times and other places. Close the ends if cold, open if warm. Add two military cots..... Tage ma haul! Works great!

Hey! I think I may have invented a great name for a camping trailer, by misspelling tage ma haul!

Bones

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Jet96 likes this.
  27. trollst

trollst

Yeah, I'm looking at my utility trailer, I think its afraid....14 inch wheels, a little plywood, a cot, camp stove, cooler.....

28. My teardrop took about 4 months of my spare time to build. Get busy! :D

DSCN1058.JPG

29. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

I'm planning on going there for the first time, this year as well.
    See you there!