Register now to get rid of these ads!

History SUNDAY SUNDAY at Aquasco Speedway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by schwinn1, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Here is a photo montage my cousins wife made of some photo's of my Uncle Conway and his rail, with some Aquasco memory's included.
    He went by "Conny" or "C.T.", he was a body shop manager at Monroe Ford in Silver Spring MD., and also a WW II veteran earning a CIB and Bronze Star. I'm sorry I wasn't able to see him race, my cousin has some more photo's I'll post when I can. I recall the engine was an injected Ford 351 ( hope I recall correctly) and he had an account with a local ( Silver Spring )auto parts store with very little mark up on the parts. This would have been mid to late 60's thru mid 70's, when I saw the dragster, around 1975, it had a 6 cyl ( I recall a time when there were " econo rails") and it had a pass. car header, more or less upside down. UncleConway.jpeg

echo ed, tommyd, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  2. X-cpe

X-cpe

When I saw that picture the name Brewer popped into my head. Then I read your post. I worked next door at Loving Chevrolet. One of the guys there (Jerry) was partners in a stock car with a guy (Bill) at Monroe. Jerry's truck broke down and they recruited a young guy with a pick up to help move the car. That's when I met Brewer. That body shop was a dungeon in the basement.
    In the mid 60's Brewer was racing out of a 35'x35' cinder block garage in Ashton with an asphalt floor and stand up storage in the attic. When Brewer built a garage at his house (67?) Jerry and Bill took over the rental of the Ashton garage.
    My memories of his dragster are that he was running a 289 that had several sleeved cylinders and he was building a Boss 302 for it. His son had a lightened up early Falcon with probably a 289, maybe a 302, that he allowed people to believe was a 260 when he street raced.
    Brewer also had a company called Brewer Proformance. Don't know if he actually did work or if it was to get discounts. I may still have a card tucked away somewhere.

3. Great story, X-cpe. Thanks for the history.

4. .........Hope you can find that card and post up a scan or picture of it.:).........Thanks, Don.

mad mikey, rbrewer and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  5. Great info- thank you!, I didn't get to know my Uncle ( my Dads' brother) as much as I would have liked to. You helped fill in some big blanks , his son ( my cousin Jimmy ) did have a Falcon-which I think is the push car in the photo's. I recall Loving Chevrolet - later Martins ( at E/W Hwy - Colesville Rd) my Aunt ( my Mom's younger sister) worked at Loving in the dealer exchange dept. I'd appreciate if you could post the card!

6. I love it when memories get jogged and someone posts up great stories from the past like this. So cool that X-cpe was able to fill in some missing Family history.:)........Don.

mad mikey, Bowtie Coupe and rbrewer like this.
  7. Here's a key chain from Loving Chevrolet, as I said, my Aunt Polly ( my Mom's younger sister) worked at Loving, I recall my Mom taking me to eat lunch - with my Aunt -at the Peoples Drug store lunch counter ( late 1960's) across E/W Hwy from the dealership.

Attached Files:

X-cpe, mad mikey, DirtyDave and 2 others like this.
  8. Post up your memories of Aquasco or cruising the Hot Shoppes or Mighty Mo in the Maryland area.

mad mikey and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  9. Very cool Don, thanks buddy !:cool::cool::):)

10. X-cpe

X-cpe

• [​IMG]
      0217201552.jpg
      File size:
      177.8 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      0217201552a.jpg
      File size:
      182.1 KB

• I've got one of those in my tool box mox-nix drawer. They also had another one that said, "Chevrolet makes the car, Loving makes the difference."
    [

11. ^^^Very cool^^^:)

12. Love this shot of Malcolm's car.:cool:

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. ....Same here. Even though this shot isn't at Aquasco, it seems appropriate since Aquasco was pretty much his "home track".

Bowtie Coupe and mad mikey like this.
  14. .....MIR Hall of Fame Class of 2010.

Bowtie Coupe and mad mikey like this.
  15. ....Color image of the car. Stegman wood Danielson ALTERED.jpg

16. Any one have a pictures of Carl heggies willys pickup sponsored by big Ed’s speed shop

17. Found these on the interweb

702ADA7E-74BB-4522-B3EB-A471A1FD5929.jpeg 3A985F99-2718-424A-A41F-246E6612191A.jpeg

18. Thanks

61cad likes this.
  19. 0ldracer

0ldracer

20. ^^^^^^^^Cool shot, thanks for posting^^^^^:)

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  21. Excellent vintage picture Thanks for sharing that piece of history:);).

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  22. 0ldracer

0ldracer

23. BOV

BOV

I am putting together a new video that covers the history of Aquasco, Capitol and Cecil County Drag Strip. I would like to identify the cars attached to this message. Most of them were racing at the 1966 Presidents Gold Cup race at Aquasco. Any help would be appreciated.

The video will be a two hour and fifteen minute production complete with narration, interviews and sound. I am hoping for an Oct 1, 2021 release date.

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.