Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model a getting a facelift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mdimages, Jan 8, 2020.

1. mdimages

mdimages

Hey there my name is Matt and I live in IL. I picked up my 1930 model A a couple months ago. The car was running and driving when I got it, but it was rough. So far did a rewire, w/ new components, some floor replacement, and a tuneup the best I could with what is existing on the car. (new gaskets carb rebuild fluids hoses etc.)

So far I love the thing, but I want to start doin a little bit of work to make it run a bit better.

I have a (b motor) in it with a b dizzy. This distributor I feel has given me a little bit of a problem. I can get the thing timed to run great but is them hard starting. Or vise-versa. A timing light w/ an auto advance is coming today to check where I am at. Since it’s has an A timing cover on it I am not 100% to where I am advanced. Shooting for 19deg. Weights with hopefully throw it out to 28degrees or so.

This being said, I was wondering when the weights actually advance RPM-wise? The springs that are in there look to be stock, but are pretty heavy. So I assume you have to get the RPMs up there quite a bit to get it to open. I took it all apart and cleaned up everything to not let them hang up on anything. Seems to be good now. Granted it’s 19degrees outside in Chicagoland and I can’t do any street testing, but I will try the garage and see where I am at.

anyone out here have any issues like this with there Banger motor?

————————————————-

—Next questions for you guys:—
    I plan on doin some minor mods to the motor to get a little extra ooommmfff. (As well as make it run more right and tight.) I’m looking at swapping out my defective parts and upgrading. My header is warped and keeps blowing gaskets. So a reds header with a single collector will be on order, as well as a downdraft intake and carb upgrade.

Question is that for a stock motor I feel I should go with a single downdraft intake and a 81 stromberg. These seem to have a good cfm size for a stocking banger motor correct? 125cfm? Stock zenith is around 100cfm or so. I also see people running 94s and 97s. They have a bit more cfm but don’t know if it will hurt me. Does anyone have a good idea of a setup or a tried and true setup that would fit my needs?

Will be ordering parts soon. Thanks to all in advance!

matt

Attached Files:

2. indyjps

indyjps

Great car, what town are you in or close to.

3. Welcome from Brookfield IL. Sorry I can't offer you any technical advice on your banger, but you may get more replies if you reference what kind of advice you are looking for in you thread title. Good luck on your quest for information, and cool model A.

4. mdimages

mdimages

thanks man. Out near Joliet area

5. mdimages

mdimages

Thank you! I see you are local as well. I will repost in another thread for people to notice it better. Good call

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome @mdimages, Bangers...there is a sizable following here and myself have little to offer but will say there is a Monthly Banger Thread with all things Performance and more...

I like your Coupe...it looks like fun ride and I look forward to your making it your own...

A few threads that may be up your Alley...below...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/december-2019-banger-thread-hey-santa.1175493/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-4-banger-hot-rod-picture-thread.997051/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-official-ed-winfield-speed-equipment-thread.814312/

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    mdimages likes this.
  7. Johnny Nitro

Johnny Nitro
    from Chicago

If it’s an A cover the pin will set it at TDC, the B cover had the pin at 19 BTDC. You might be running too advanced.

mdimages and Stogy like this.
  8. mdimages

mdimages

Thanks for the reply dude. It’s a B block for sure, with an A cover. I found TDC and notched the crank pulley to put it around 19 deg advanced. Assuming that the b internals need to run wit the stock b timing. If I set it at TDC the car wont run past 30 MPH. Starts east tho. Lol So that’s why I’m having the issue.

Stogy likes this.
  9. mdimages

mdimages

Thanks man for the info! I’m learning the site, but has lots of good info. Nice to meet all you guys!

Stogy likes this.